Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals - Part 9

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

snizzbone*

Nonis said there is a ton of interest in Kadri, and that he could move Kadri, but hes not close to a deal.

Also reaffirmed his ideal that anyone can be dealt if it makes the team better for now and the future.

Our 1st is not going to be dealt for a player that is gone next year, if it gets dealt.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
I'll be honest, I hope we don't waste a valuable asset like Kadri on ANOTHER winger. He should only be dealt for a centre or defenseman.

We already have Lupul and JVR on the left side, then there's Kessel on the right side. I don't think Nonis is going to pay 5.25 per year for Clarkson to play on the 3rd line. So, we're pretty much set unless Nonis deals Kadri for a winger, then deals one of our wingers for a centre.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Nonis said there is a ton of interest in Kadri, and that he could move Kadri, but hes not close to a deal.

Also reaffirmed his ideal that anyone can be dealt if it makes the team better for now and the future.

Our 1st is not going to be dealt for a player that is gone next year, if it gets dealt.

So he's willing to deal the 1st pick ?
I would have thought it untouchable

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Why is Kane the next premier power forward in this league but Kadri a bust?

Kadri has outscored him the past two years (however in more games this year) and they are only 10 months apart

Nowhere did I call Kadri a bust! But he certainly wouldn't return Kane in a straight up deal.

Kane brings a very rare power forward with good hands and incredible speed skillset and comparing him to Kadri in only points the past two years doesn't tell the whole story.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
I'll be honest, I hope we don't waste a valuable asset like Kadri on ANOTHER winger. He should only be dealt for a centre or defenseman.

We already have Lupul and JVR on the left side, then there's Kessel on the right side. I don't think Nonis is going to pay 5.25 per year for Clarkson to play on the 3rd line. So, we're pretty much set unless Nonis deals Kadri for a winger, then deals one of our wingers for a centre.

I do
Otherwise he'll buy him out

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Our UFA's next year are Bolland, Kulemin, McClement, Raymond, Smith, Fraser, and Ranger. RFA's are Holland, Ashton, D'Amigo, Franson, Gardiner, and Reimer.

Out of the UFA's, I'd make it a priority to bring back Bolland and Kulemin. Smith, Fraser and Ranger are all replaceable, and while Raymond has performed admirably, I don't see a future here for him given our cap situation and his asking price for next season. McClement has just been okay this season, and his PK prowess that was so valuable last year has seemed to have disappeared. I'm not against re-signing him, but I wouldn't shed any tears if he left.

Of the RFA's, Holland and Gardiner need to come back. Holland has been impressive and I don't think Gardiner's done yet. I'd like to bring back Reimer, but who knows how he feels about the whole situation with Bernier and possibly going into next season as the back-up. Ashton isn't anything special. Bring him back for cheap if you can, but he's not needed. D'Amigo is the same (though I think he;s a better player than Ashton). I'd bring re-sign both at around the $1 million they're making now. And Franson can go. His offence doesn't make up for constant defensive blunders. He's going to be asking for money he doesn't deserve as well, and the contract negotiating headache isn't needed.

Fooling around on Capgeek, resigning priority (imo) RFA's and UFA's and adding Girardi, this is what I got ($71 million in capspace):

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($8.000m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Josh Leivo ($0.793m) / Dave Bolland ($4.000m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($4.000m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.700m) / Peter Holland ($1.000m) / Colton Orr ($0.925m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m) / Dan Girardi ($4.500m)
Morgan Rielly ($0.894m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.500m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m)
Petter Granberg ($0.800m) / Stuart Percy ($0.863m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
James Reimer ($2.900m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Komisarek ($0.000m)
Mikhail Grabovski ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,775,000; BONUSES: $1,295,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,325,000

Up against the cap again, but with improved defence with the addition of Girardi, another year under the belt of Gardiner and Rielly (with hopefully more playoff experience) and the ability to add a stable presence on the second pairing in either Girardi or Gunnarsson. Solidified goaltending for another couple of years. Forwards remain relatively the same. Re-calling and Re-assigning will have to happen a lot, alternating guys like Percy and Granberg for young forwards like D'Amigo, Leivo and Ashton to play on the third and fourth lines. Hopefully D'Amigo and Ashton don't make much more than they currently are next season.

4th line looks weak, and hopefully Kadri will be up to the challenge and added responsibilities of being a #2C. The only big addition is Girardi.

But, then again, that's what happens when you don't really have all that much cap remaining after you sign that key UFAs & RFAs. This would be pretty much the same situation as it was last year, which isn't a big surprise really.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Definitely a no to Colin wilson, I refuse to give up high scoring ability for a low-scoring defensive winger.

EQUAL scoring winger(kane) or in a package for a better centre.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It took Kyle Turris nearly 7 years to become what he is now. The guy was very similar to Kadri when he got drafted, skinny and a bit weak, high offensive acumen and good hands, and a solid IQ in the offensive zone. His defensive game needed some work, and he really needed to fill out and adjust to the physicality and speed of the pro game.

He struggled for a few years and Phoenix almost ruined him along the way, but thankfully he was able to get out of there. His HF prospect score even dropped from 9B to 7.5B, and many people thought up until last year even that he wouldn't be more than 40 pt centre.

Look at him now, he's supplanted Spezza as the #1C for the Sens, is centering one of the best lines in the NHL (Mac-Turris-Ryan), and is also a defensive beast now, he has fantastic possession numbers and goes up against top competition every game.

I bet Phoenix wishes they were able to keep him and didn't jerk him around the first few years.

Turris is in his 4th year in the NHL. His first NHL season was 10/11.

Kadri played 29 games in the 10/11 season, but didn't see action as a NHL regular until the 12/13 season.

Turris seems to steadily progress as he gains experience and more strength. He is in effect Ottawa's #1 C. His defensive game is also quite sound.

Your comparison does have some merit, but I'd think Turris career to this point is definitely considerably better. He will get stronger as he matures and as the regime of training has its culmative impact. I think the upside of Turris will also be considerably higher than Kadri.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Kadri played 29 games in the 10/11 season, but didn't see action as a NHL regular until the 12/13 season.

Turris seems to steadily progress as he gains experience and more strength. He is in effect Ottawa's #1 C. His defensive game is also quite sound.

Your comparison does have some merit, but I'd think Turris career to this point is definitely considerably better. He will get stronger as he matures and the regime of training has its culmative impact. I think the upside of Turris will also be considerably higher than Kadri.

Point still stands that not all touted prospects light the league up within a few short years.. Development is a process, that has ups and downs, and just because he's "down" now doesn't mean Kadri should be dealt

Funny how Naz is still at a 20 goal, 50 point pace yet this is seem as a slump by some ..... Still pretty decent numbers for a kid in his first full 82 game season - I hope he can maintain the pace which improving in other aspects

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Your comparison does have some merit, but I'd think Turris career to this point is definitely considerably better. He will get stronger as he matures and as the regime of training has its culmative impact. I think the upside of Turris will also be considerably higher than Kadri.

Point still stands that not all touted prospects light the league up within a few short years.. Development is a process, that has ups and downs, and just because he's "down" now doesn't mean Kadri should be dealt

Funny how Naz is still at a 20 goal, 50 point pace yet this is seem as a slump by some ..... Still pretty decent numbers for a kid in his first full 82 game season - I hope he can maintain the pace which improving in other aspects

Well, I do agree with the point you are making in general.

But, with respect to the two players named here, Turris has already demonstrated more in his career thus far. Turris also seems to have much higher ceiling.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Well, I do agree with the point you are making in general.

But, with respect to the two players named here, Turris has already demonstrated more in his career thus far. Turris also seems to have much higher ceiling.

Turris hasn't had a PPG season yet.

So far Turris has looked like an average 2nd line c, Kadri has shown flashes of being a very high end 2nd line C.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Turris was also drafted two years prior and is 1 year 2 months older.

If you compare Turris and where he was at 2 years ago or even 1 year ago vs. Kadri and where he is at today then I have no doubt that Kadri is the one I'd be picking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad