Prospect Info: 2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc. part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I know we throw the term 'beast' around a lot on here
Coburn
jvr
Couturier
Weber
Giroux
Sometimes even the Schenn's
McGinn when he was on fire

But this is very different. He's actually going to be terrifying.

Let's be serious for just a damn second...

Couturier is not just a beast. He's a ****ing defensive monster...potentially one living under Malkin's bed.

The rest, I agree...well Weber doesn't belong on that list either...but yeah.

We haven't had a real monster on the blueline since Pronger. Morin could be that guy. Or he could be Coburn 2.0. Let's wait and see. The good news is that he plays a lot like Coburn does when Coburn is in "beast-mode," aka being physical and aggressive. If Morin could be consistently be beast-mode Coburn, I would worship the ice he skates on.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Let's be serious for just a damn second...

Couturier is not just a beast. He's a ****ing defensive monster...potentially one living under Malkin's bed.

The rest, I agree...well Weber doesn't belong on that list either...but yeah.

We haven't had a real monster on the blueline since Pronger. Morin could be that guy. Or he could be Coburn 2.0. Let's wait and see. The good news is that he plays a lot like Coburn does when Coburn is in "beast-mode," aka being physical and aggressive. If Morin could be consistently be beast-mode Coburn, I would worship the ice he skates on.

Don't get me wrong, cooter is my favorite player. But I'm not sure he has that pronger mean streak. No one really does..Morin could have that element though

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Kind of strange with their depth prospect & NHL wise. I would have figured Toronto with his brother & an easier path to the NHL.

That's why I am not getting my hopes up for Folin. The decisions by the undrafted free agents to sign with a team sometimes defy logic. It's all about the sales pitch and Holmgrens' been lacking in recent years when it comes to the top guys.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That's why I am not getting my hopes up for Folin. The decisions by the undrafted free agents to sign with a team sometimes defy logic. It's all about the sales pitch and Holmgrens' been lacking in recent years when it comes to the top guys.

Sales pitch the last few years for top FA's have been immediate playing time. Sustr, Jt Brown, Da Costa , etc

WE don't have the type of roster that we can do something like that.

Rolex

Jan 25, 2005
Read and Raffl say no. The Flyers made as good of an offer as anyone for DeKeyser last year. He just wanted to play with the Wings. The organization had already focused on getting Raffl when those negotiations were going on. Holmgren usually gets a top UDFA every off season.
Don't write off Folin too soon. If he goes elsewhere it will probably be due to the fact that the Flyers have so many good, young defensive prospects in the system already. Now if he is offered a one way deal and a shot with the club right away, who knows? That's a sweet opportunity that few good teams can offer.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Read and Raffl say no. The Flyers made as good of an offer as anyone for DeKeyser last year. He just wanted to play with the Wings. The organization had already focused on getting Raffl when those negotiations were going on. Holmgren usually gets a top UDFA every off season.
Don't write off Folin too soon. If he goes elsewhere it will probably be due to the fact that the Flyers have so many good, young defensive prospects in the system already. Now if he is offered a one way deal and a shot with the club right away, who knows? That's a sweet opportunity that few good teams can offer.

Can't offer him a one-way deal he needs to sign an ELC, which are all two-way deals. Financially they can't really offer him anything that other teams can't. The only incentive would be to start his ELC this season and a shot to play some NHL games. Other than that the decision is on the player and with a guy as sought after as him, well the odds aren't in your favor.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I am not wavering on my hopes for Folin. I won't be crushed if he doesn't sign here but we have seen reports the Flyers really like him.

Another thing the Flyers could try to pitch at him is the success they have had with their UDFA's coming in here and playing first with the phnatoms and having a career afterwards. Look at the forwards like Da Costa, Sustr and others, they play for a little time in the NHL and then back to the AHL they go. It's probably a better idea for these kids to go to the AHL and refine their game a little before stepping into the NHL. It worked well for Matt Read and now he is one of our most valuable players. Hopefully it's not all about burning that year off the contract like it is with most agents, and maybe it's about getting his development in line so he can have a longer NHL career.

Banger

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
I am not wavering on my hopes for Folin. I won't be crushed if he doesn't sign here but we have seen reports the Flyers really like him.

Another thing the Flyers could try to pitch at him is the success they have had with their UDFA's coming in here and playing first with the phnatoms and having a career afterwards. Look at the forwards like Da Costa, Sustr and others, they play for a little time in the NHL and then back to the AHL they go. It's probably a better idea for these kids to go to the AHL and refine their game a little before stepping into the NHL. It worked well for Matt Read and now he is one of our most valuable players. Hopefully it's not all about burning that year off the contract like it is with most agents, and maybe it's about getting his development in line so he can have a longer NHL career.

is he still in the playoffs? I assume he can/will be signed after the playoffs end?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
is he still in the playoffs? I assume he can/will be signed after the playoffs end?

Yes, his team is still playing. Whenever they are eliminated or win I am sure the full court press will be on him in a heartbeat. Hopefully they can bring him here and show him the atmosphere. Get a game against the Pens or another rival.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Bob Mac said we are really interested in rebuilding our blue line. This was in regards to Christian Folin and we WOULD offer him a guaranteed spot on our back end if he decides to turn pro.

First, I have said it before and I do believe we are in for a big change on the defense. The only way I see this team not changing the back line too much is if we make the cup finals. Other than that they have been mediocre and over paid. We need some fresh faces in there, and I still would not be surprised if Homer tests the market for Coburn again this year. I know it probably won't be the best thing and people will not be too happy losing him, but when do we realize we have to go another way? Not saying I move him for nothing, just see what's out there. I could see B. Schenn+L. Schenn+ other assets being dangled for a big name. Who? I have no clue but the draft might be interesting. Grossmann is gone lol, I think we all can see that.

Here is the interview. At the 15 minute mark I would say start listening, he makes comments on the Hurricanes as well.

http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chum/176/20731/pre2.mp3

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Flyers could guarantee him a spot and easily trade Grossman/Schenn/Coburn.

Whether there is massive risk there, well that's another debate. But they can easily have a spot for him, if they think he's good to go right now.

Also, there may be a hole with Timonen as well.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They should tell Matt Read to call him to convince him to sign here. Matt Read was in the same position and he could probably relate to what a college ufa looks for in a team. What they should really do is get Folin to come to a Flyers game like they did with Read.

For ****s sake DO NOT LET GUS NEAR HIM. We don't want Folin to know what happens if you play well and make the team better but don't block shots and fumble the puck away.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
Some quotes from Homer on Folin:
“He's a good young defenseman,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren told the Courier-Post recently.

“He's a good-looking player. He's big. He moves good, moves the puck, good defender. Could he jump right in? Probably on the right team he could, yeah.”

More detailed look at Folin and his options: http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...uld-make-instant-impact-as-college-free-agent

I'm not getting too carried away by him at the minute. From reports, it looks like he was close to signing with Vancouver and Ottawa last year, so I'd assume they'd both be interested in trying to sign him this year. Few "don't get excited" reports out there, but I'll trust Homer's eye for talent if he thinks he's good enough to jump straight into this team

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Folin is not going to be given anything. He should not be promised a NHL spot. He should have to earn it like every other FA they have signed. if he wants the spot for free then he wont sign in Philly.
he apparently has a younger brother in the USHL

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Folin is not going to be given anything. He should not be promised a NHL spot. He should have to earn it like every other FA they have signed. if he wants the spot for free then he wont sign in Philly.
he apparently has a younger brother in the USHL

Honestly, I don't think Philadelphia has ever been the "we'll give you a roster spot if you sign" kind of team.

We usually go under the radar with our UFA signings, develop them properly, throw them in when they're ready, and go from there.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, his team is still playing. Whenever they are eliminated or win I am sure the full court press will be on him in a heartbeat. Hopefully they can bring him here and show him the atmosphere. Get a game against the Pens or another rival.

If he wins the next game he goes to the final four in Philly correct? That will show him a great deal. Nice little edge over the competition. No one should want to play for ottawa or van.

If we sign him I bet he comes in and plays some games right away.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If he wins the next game he goes to the final four in Philly correct? That will show him a great deal. Nice little edge over the competition. No one should want to play for ottawa or van.

Needs to win 2 games to get to the Frozen Four.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
The top guys all are going to get similar offers from teams as there is a cap on how much money they can get on an ELC. What it comes down to is promises made I know in the past Holmgren has stopped short of promising guaranteed time in the NHL -- but from the sounds of that last bit -- he might be making an exception. Now that doesn't mean that if he struggles he wont sit or even if he doesn't struggle that he wont have to prove himself next year in TC.

I hope we get him I have watched him for a while and I think he will be a really good addition.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
I'm hopeful he signs here but there is a ton of competition to get him. Fingers crossed. This is a good situation for him.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI

Yea that'd be nice, especially since he just finished playing at TD Garden for the Hockey East Tournament. Final Four would be awesome atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad