2012 NHL Entry Draft Statistics / Rankings

MBhockey1

Dec 18, 2011
Hockey rinks
Thought I could say comments on a couple of players from Finland who I have seen playing the most.

Teuvo Teräväinen: He has improved his skating this season. Has very good hands, good offensive awareness and is good at tight situations. Doesn´t shy from physical contact either, which is good to see in a skilled player. I have seen him playing since he was 15 year old and he has always been a very good offensive forward.

Esa Lindell: I don´t think he was high on many lists before the season. He gets his shots through, and can run the power play well. His skating is fairly good and I think his defensive game will improve as he gets stronger. I´m not sure which round he´ll be drafted. Should be interesting to see him playing at U18 WJC.

Mikko Vainonen: Sometimes I think if his offensive upside is a little bit limited. He plays a very simple type of game - good first pass and defensive skills. He does have a hard shot, although I have not seen him using it much. A pretty strong skater for his size.

I have to see a couple of other players more before I can comment on them. Some players have been good when I have seen them playing, but it´s hard to say anything based on one or two games. Luckily I have yet time to get a better picture on some 2012 Prospects before the Draft will be.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
2013 ;)

Nothing you said about O'Brien is wrong. Problem for me is that an NHL comparison for him is JF Jacques. Jacques has better hands (which says a lot) and much more size. O'Brien is not strong enough on or off the puck, he gets pushed around too much. He's big for the Q, but not particularly big for the NHL.

I have no clue where you get the decent hands bit. Hands of stone when I saw him. Couldn't control a pass nevermind deflect a shot on goal. I'd much rather have a player like Taylor Burke who plays a more controlled style and not like a dog without a leash, because Burke has that offensive capability and he's solid on his skates. I've seen O'Brien go in for a hit and end up on his rear more than once. And I haven't seen him play that much.

Beaudoin is not all that special for me either. If you are going to be a 5'11 defenseman in the NHL, you need to have some sort of redeeming quality. I'm just not that convinced with him. I'd much rather have the under-talked-about Ryan Culkin from the Q.

I am one of those who thinks the draft is a complete crap-shoot. Those kids are 17 and have about 5 years of development ahead of them before we can start putting labels on their names. How hard they work and how well their future NHL teams developp them will make or break their career.

If you compare Burke and O'Brien, sure Burke looks more ''controlled'' and has better hands, but who's to say O'Brien won't be taught how to play better by an AHL coach and becomes a better version of JF Jacques while Burke is a complete bust... who knows man. I'm just saying I like O'Brien's overall package and I wouldn't hesitate to draft him in the later rounds and see what happens. He is a warrior.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
I am one of those who thinks the draft is a complete crap-shoot. Those kids are 17 and have about 5 years of development ahead of them before we can start putting labels on their names. How hard they work and how well their future NHL teams developp them will make or break their career.

If you compare Burke and O'Brien, sure Burke looks more ''controlled'' and has better hands, but who's to say O'Brien won't be taught how to play better by an AHL coach and becomes a better version of JF Jacques while Burke is a complete bust... who knows man. I'm just saying I like O'Brien's overall package and I wouldn't hesitate to draft him in the later rounds and see what happens. He is a warrior.

Could very well happen. At this point, it's a matter of personal choice between these two. I personally don't like O'Brien's lack of discipline, though as you mention that's something that can definitely be coached out.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
The NHL list for Russia, imho, is meaningless... Lots of useless surnames there, like Rancevs for Latvia who is no way a draft prospect and couple of guys from "Tatranski Vlci". Roberts Lipsbergs and Ņikita Jevpalovs (together with Kuzmenkovs who's already on the list) then look more like draft candidates... there stats might not say much but recently they've been scoring in every game and all will play in WJC and then we might see some action :nod:

MBhockey1

Dec 18, 2011
Hockey rinks
TourettesGuy, you could add to Finnish players Markus Hännikäinen, who has rather good potential. Sami Salminen is a big, skilled forward, skating needs work. At times he does not work a whole lot, but regardless does points. Petteri Lindbohm is a very average player even at the junior level. Looking for improvement from him.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
For the love of all that is holy I hope MTL ends up with one of Galchenyuk, Forsberg or Grigerenko, we are so desperate for a legitimate scoring threat its unbelievable.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Really liked Hännikäinen's play against Canada in that pre-tournament game (he was number 13). Hope some team will select him in the late rounds.

MBhockey1

Dec 18, 2011
Hockey rinks
I would like to read opinion on Jujhar Khaira. He has good stats this year in the BCHL while playing his second season in the league. Just would like to know what kind of game does he play. I believe he is one of the top players from the BCHL for the draft.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Bumpdilibumpbump

Note to Mods... Any mod: please make this wonderful thread a sticky. It's probably the most useful reference tool on the prospect board.

Gracias

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad