2012 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
swedish news repors a bizzare story.

"I was filming Canada's training, we do so with all opponents as Sweden faces. I noticed immediately that it was tense. Their video coach stood in the way of the camera and head coach fired pucks at me and the camera. Then I got the bench where the coach explained how bad I was and how unsportsmanlike Sweden behaved, says Andersson."

Later Tie Domi(!) steals the camera

hahahahhaha

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/landslag/juniorhockey/article15286300.ab

Stay classy Canada....

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
No team should be video taping any team, the practice pf video-taping should be banned.

These are 16=17 year old players..worry about video taping when you get to the pros.

Stay Classy Sweden, hard to do, but at least try.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
No team should be video taping any team, the practice pf video-taping should be banned.

These are 16=17 year old players..worry about video taping when you get to the pros.

What? Are you mental or something? Video taping other team's been around for ages in all sports. It's called "scouting".

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
What? Are you mental or something? Video taping other team's been around for ages in all sports. It's called "scouting".

Not practice...video taping an opponent's 's practice is a new concept.. Here's a novel approach, ask permission to video tape a team's practice and if they agree to it, then knock yourself out, if not, then respect their decision/wish not to be video taped. That simple. Since when do do you think you have the devine right to do what ever the hell you choose? Ask the team's permission, if they don't want it, move on, shut your ***hole and go tape ducks in the park.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Not practice...video taping an opponent's 's practice is a new concept.. Here's a novel approach, ask permission to video tape a team's practice and if they agree to it, then knock yourself out, if not, then respect their decision/wish not to be video taped. That simple. Since when do do you think you have the devine right to do what ever the hell you choose? Ask the team's permission, if they don't want it, move on, shut your ***hole and go tape ducks in the park.

Or how about Team Canada playing by the rules set by the IIHF for this? That would be the mature way of behaving.

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon

It's all about winning. Coming from a country where the "anything to win" mentality is ingrained in every hockey player i'd think you were familiar with this concept.

The video is hillarious though. Just before it cuts to black you see Domis face, and he does not look happy.

Lobbing pucks at someone in the stands however, is not hillarious, it's pathetic.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Take from it what you will, I think the practice of videotaping an opponent's practice should be banned, or at the very least a request should be made by the team to attend practice for videotaping.. And if the team so happens to be against it, then that wish should be respected.

There's a lot of video easily available of the players in questions. Every federation should have a book on most of the players by the time they get to the U18 team... I just happen to believe a team should have that right to allow it or not allow it. It shouldn't be a team's right to do it. I don't want Team Canada doing it and I don't believe other teams have that automatic right. My opinion, if you agree with or not makes very little difference to me... Shooting pucks at the person doing the taping would be a serious breach and I wouldn't condone it if I were HC and I hope he's dealt with and punished, but I think Canada had every right to practice without it being videotaped.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
but I think Canada had every right to practice without it being videotaped.

And Sweden (as any other team) had the right to film without being bombarded with pucks and obscenities while having their equipment stolen (later returned, but without battery).

Macman

May 15, 2004

Teams look at game tape but they're not supposed to tape practices. The New England Patriots were fined $500,000 for doing it in 2007. Maybe it's different in Europe but it's a no-no in North America for sure. Teams sometimes have closed practices because they don't want opponents to even watch what they're doing.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Teams look at game tape but they're not supposed to tape practices. The New England Patriots were fined $500,000 for doing it in 2007. Maybe it's different in Europe but it's a no-no in North America for sure. Teams sometimes have closed practices because they don't want opponents to even watch what they're doing.

On the one hand I don't really see the big deal, as what serious piece of scouting intel can gleamed from practice anyway; but on the other hand, I believe a team has the right to a closed practice if it so chooses, all teams, even Team Sweden. I hope the Federations can come to some sort of an agreement on the practice, whereby it is either banned or a team has to make a request...

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
Do Swedish teams routinely go to opponents practices and video tape?

If they are allowed to my guess would be that they would if they thought it would give them information they wanted.

If they were not allowed to, no they would not film. And if team Sweden went to a closed Canadian practice I would not have any problems with Canadians being pissed or stealing the camera.

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
Filming practices of international teams should not be a surprise to any one. But last year in the U-18WJC(I think it was) a similar dispute errupted when Sweden was filming Canadas practice. There were apperantly lots of arguing back then as well. The Canadians wanted to run the Swedes out of the building while the Swedes simply replied that they were allowed under IIHF ruling to film as much as they wanted. Though Grönborg stated that their agressive reactions might have been because of lack of routine or knowledge about the ruling.

In international soccer, if you don't film the opponents practice, you'd have to be concidered Pejorative Slured.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
The behaviour of the Canadian coaches was very immature. I don't think practices should be recorded - but it sounds like it's common in Sweden, at least - and apparently it's not against the IIHF rules. If Canada doesn't like they should complain to the IIHF...not start shooting pucks at people.

CoyotesHFNHL

May 30, 2010
It's a cultural thing. Simple as that. In North America it's a big no-no. If the Toronto Maple Leafs did this to the Ottawa Senators or vice versa they likely would have reacted very similarly because videotaping or recording another team's practice in any way is not acceptable.

Clearly based on the way Sweden has approached this both at the U18 in April as well as the Hlinka it's considered acceptable there. If the IIHF rule states that it's permitted, Team Canada should be speaking with the tournament committee or the IIHF to deal with this. But they certainly approached the situation the wrong way with the way they behaved in that video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad