2012 CBA/Lockout talk Part VII..Will a deal get done..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Kidding I know, but there's something to be said for not following certain people on twitter. Lots of sound and fury out there that signifies nothing.

All joking aside Artemis, totally agree. Couple of problems with twitter: It's being used in a form it wasn't intended to be used in and the 140 character limit. I wish some of those people would invest in something like tweet longer or something similar that by-passes that.

But even Pierre LeBrun's tweet (who I have the utmost respect for) gives a whole different meaning to his tweet just by leaving out one word - separately.

To me twitter is suppose to be the medium that leads to a longer and more detailed explanation via an actual article, much like Elliotte Friedman does. His tweets are almost always followed by an in depth piece at the end of the day.

I know you are very good at it, but it's then up to us to follow up on those tweets. And for that reason, I'm very picky about who I follow.

Kaoz*

7 by my count Mike.

Real smart play by Fehr here. If the NHL really is serious that this is meant to help the smaller market teams as opposed to penalizing the big teams that spent to the cap, then they'd have a hell of a lot of explaining to do if they fail to accept this.

See, I can fight the players side too :naughty:

It helps the smaller market teams financially right now sure because it allows them to spend less on talent.

Does it help the on ice product though? Being a fan of a team operating 21 million below the current cap won't likely entice many to come out and spend their money on the games.

Does it help those teams be competitive?

Does that lack of competitiveness help them long term?

Still say anything that hurts parity is an issue. If they accept a compromise of 65 million then don't lower the floor. Set it at 49 million and whatever teams can't handle the strain financially can blow up.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
All joking aside Artemis, totally agree. Couple of problems with twitter: It's being used in a form it wasn't intended to be used in and the 140 character limit. I wish some of those people would invest in something like tweet longer or something similar that by-passes that.

But even Pierre LeBrun's tweet (who I have the utmost respect for) gives a whole different meaning to his tweet just by leaving out one word - separately.

To me twitter is suppose to be the medium that leads to a longer and more detailed explanation via an actual article, much like Elliotte Friedman does. His tweets are almost always followed by an in depth piece at the end of the day.

I know you are very good at it, but it's then up to us to follow up on those tweets. And for that reason, I'm very picky about who I follow.

That was kind of my point. Im not referring to the Eklund and Insiderrs of the world, sources that I would typically consider fairly legitimate have even fallen victim to the madness with this lockout. It's fascinating.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
HayesTSN: So, Letang decides to leave for the KHL when the momentum appears to be moving towards a deal? Interesting.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
HayesTSN: So, Letang decides to leave for the KHL when the momentum appears to be moving towards a deal? Interesting.

Reasons to do something so absurd:

1. You dont believe a deal will get done
2. The thrill of unsafe air travel
3. Gambling problem

Not suggesting any...just reasons I can think of.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

There are two problems with twitter I see, one to do with situations such as the current one, and the other more general.

1. Newspeople tweeting speculation and hearsay, which is treated as news.

2. Reporters who can't write clearly or concisely. Dreger for example has tweeted a few comments (which I've seen posted or retweeted; I don't follow him) that are practically gibberish. As you said about LeBrun, leaving out a word or not using a word properly can make a huge difference.

Twitter is a tool. In itself it's not good or bad; it just needs to be used properly.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
This is just dumb at this point. Why weren't the negotiations moving this rapidly back in September?

Because 8 (right?) teams were losing money and many owners felt cost of free agents and league expenditure was too high, so they just saved over a billion JUST in player salaries. Not to mention travel, fuel, food, trainers, doctors, you name it. Now they will get what they want in the end. Revenue will continue to rise, and the owners will receive more of the pie

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Because 8 (right?) teams were losing money and many owners felt cost of free agents and league expenditure was too high, so they just saved over a billion JUST in player salaries. Not to mention travel, fuel, food, trainers, doctors, you name it. Now they will get what they want in the end. Revenue will continue to rise, and the owners will receive more of the pie

oh yeah? that's what they think!

Pie to JJ - Get your hands off me you damned dirty ape!!

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I get the feeling a lot of these media reporters love using Twitter because they think it's the "cool" and "in" thing to do. Somewhat unrelated, I set up my father with a smartphone and he thinks it's the coolest thing ever and goes around playing with it everywhere -- but he doesn't really know what he is doing. Sure he is older than these guys I am sure, but that is the metaphor I think of when I see these tweets posted here. Perhaps I'm way off on that.

I don't have a Twitter (thank God!) and I really hope this Twitter phase ends soon, although I doubt it will.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Praying a deal gets done. It seems like the differences are so minor that it shouldn't be an issue. Wish both sides weren't so ****ing hardheaded. I need me some Bruins hockey.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Just one more week of this crap right?

No deal next Friday and Bettman will have the decency to cancel the season I assume?

Not saying that is what I want but this crap has dragged on a little too long.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It helps the smaller market teams financially right now sure because it allows them to spend less on talent.

Does it help the on ice product though? Being a fan of a team operating 21 million below the current cap won't likely entice many to come out and spend their money on the games.

Does it help those teams be competitive?

Does that lack of competitiveness help them long term?

Still say anything that hurts parity is an issue. If they accept a compromise of 65 million then don't lower the floor. Set it at 49 million and whatever teams can't handle the strain financially can blow up.

It is one season. You really think the parity of the league will be destroyed by one season?

And you'd rather see teams blow up than allow them the option to spend 5 million less, again, for one season?

Strange.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Hate to be the one to throw another log on the fire, but here's an issue that no one seems to have mentioned at anytime, at least that I can find.

The part of the CBA which identifies at what age a CHL player can play in the AHL. Doesn't affect NCAA or Europeans as agreements are still in place for them. But the CHL situation was and will be a part of the CBA.

Problem is, the agreement with the CHL has expired and to my knowledge and from what I have been able to find out, the NHL/CHL have only come to an agreement on what happens to players that are eligible for the NHL in the event the lockout ends.

This also affects emergency call ups of junior players. I believe the Flames used the option last year.

And again from my knowledge and information that I have been able to get (The CHL just does not talk about these things) there have been no talks between the NHL and CHL.

And of course it comes down to payments by the NHL to the CHL. Just another thing they'll have to reach an agreement on as it will certainly be part of a new CBA.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
For s CBA that only needed to be 'tweaked', this has turned into a giant cluster****

I can't wait for this to be over, one way or another. I won't be giving any of my hard earned cash to this league for a while.

Kaoz*

It is one season. You really think the parity of the league will be destroyed by one season?

And you'd rather see teams blow up than allow them the option to spend 5 million less, again, for one season?

Strange.

I think anything that doesn't promote parity and in fact encourages the opposite, even for one season, isn't a good thing. Yes, that is correct. Question for you though... why is whether players get an artificially inflated cap for longer more important then the actual on ice product?

And so yes, as I'd rather not see that gap between minimum and maximum widened. Assuming they didn't widen it, I do believe that extra 5 million in minimum salary would put a lot of strain on some teams. Having to spend an extra 5 million hurts your bottom line when you aren't making money. Will that cause some teams to blow up? I don't know. There are a few teams on the cusp already, who knows if Columbus, Phoenix, or Tampa can afford to lose an extra 5 million next year?

Sounds like a rock and a hard place type deal to me. Parity or financial stability? Sacrifice parity and on ice product for the next two seasons so that players can get an extra $200,000 on their next contract. I don't care enough about the players pocket books apparently.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I think anything that doesn't promote parity and in fact encourages the opposite, even for one season, isn't a good thing. Yes, that is correct. Question for you though... why is whether players get an artificially inflated cap for longer more important then the actual on ice product?

And so yes, as I'd rather not see that gap between minimum and maximum widened. Assuming they didn't widen it, I do believe that extra 5 million in minimum salary would put a lot of strain on some teams. Having to spend an extra 5 million hurts your bottom line when you aren't making money. Will that cause some teams to blow up? I don't know. There are a few teams on the cusp already, who knows if Columbus, Phoenix, or Tampa can afford to lose an extra 5 million next year?

Sounds like a rock and a hard place type deal to me. Parity or financial stability? Sacrifice parity and on ice product for the next two seasons so that players can get an extra $200,000 on their next contract. I don't care enough about the players pocket books apparently.

It is one season. And you can easily argue the other way, that by not having any relief for some teams for that one year, they will be forced to ice an inferior product when they have to load up on AHL-level players on the lowest contracts possible. Who wants that?

Did I mention you are worried over one season? At a number that would be exceeded by what? Did OOG say 7 teams? 7 teams would get releif, the NHL product wouldn't be diluted.

Also, a fair playing ground is more important than parity. Parity kind of sucks. As long as every team has an opportunity to field a team that can win, that is what matters most.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There is Z-E-R-O chance this ends in a lost season. ZERO

This is the final bickering, threats, planes, trains, and automobiles

Sure- cancel the season:biglaugh: and miss a year or more of your career, then come back as a joke sport with a pie that has shrunk by a third....

This reminds me of the people who are steadfast in joining a gym first of the year, eating better, losing weight etc.....and starting XMas Eve they eat anything and everything for a week. That is all this is

we knew this was coming, right?:)

Kaoz*

It is one season. And you can easily argue the other way, that by not having any relief for some teams for that one year, they will be forced to ice an inferior product when they have to load up on AHL-level players on the lowest contracts possible. Who wants that?

Did I mention you are worried over one season? At a number that would be exceeded by what? Did OOG say 7 teams? 7 teams would get releif, the NHL product wouldn't be diluted.

Also, a fair playing ground is more important than parity. Parity kind of sucks. As long as every team has an opportunity to field a team that can win, that is what matters most.

It's two seasons actually, as what remains of this season would also be done under an artificially inflated cap number which would see many teams able to afford payrolls many more others can't. Perhaps you mean "it's just one more season?"

I must admit, I don't understand your stance here. You're asking why I don't support a wider gap between max and min payrolls and then ask why anyone would support a system that "forced [a team] to ice an inferior product when they have to load up on AHL-level players on the lowest contracts possible." Just to be clear, I believe having a wider gap between min and max. caps achieves exactly that. When you lower the minimum salary cap there are teams who will add more minimum contracts so they can stay closer to the 44 million figure rather then being forced to spend more to reach that 49 million figure. Why would anyone want that? You tell me? Yes, it may only affect 7 teams, but we are only talking about a 30 team league and those 7 teams just happen to be an areas where the sport needs the most help.

And parity is part of a fair playing ground, is it not? You set up the financial fundamentals in such a way that will allow teams like NYR and Toronto to spend 20 million more on payroll then teams like Phoenix and Columbus and you're putting those teams at a disadvantage... no? If you don't believe in a correlation between salary and skill then I can understand the reasoning but I believe the better players get paid more (not something I would have classified as going out on a limb on honestly).

I'll ask my question again. Why do you believe I, as a fan, should care more about the players pocket book then I do the quality of the on ice product? Why do you think I should support a wider gap between max and min payroll spending? Perhaps you can change my mind.

Just for reference, my preferred choices in this case are:
1. Go to 50/50 split sooner rather then later as it allows teams to be competitive payroll wise with each other sooner (read: I care more about on ice product then I do players pocket books).
2. Failing #1, concede on 65 million in year two but keep the minimum cap closer to the 65 mill figure so that teams are forced to be a little bit more competitive payroll wise (read: I care more about on ice product then I do owners pocket books).
3. Failing #2, concede on both the 65 million upper limit and the 44 million lower limit. (I care more about having a hockey season then I do on ice product over the next two seasons).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad