2012 CBA/Lockout talk Part VII..Will a deal get done..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashtray76

Jun 17, 2011
Is anyone surprised if they don't get a deal done today? This thing will be dragged until the last possible minute. Fehr has done a masterful job IMO. 60 million cap? Are u kidding me. These owners are insane. How anyone can back them I have no idea.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
That didn't last long. Doesn't sound good.

Agreed. Each side probably reiterated what they want and said, "well, okay then" and that was it.

Not good news for today but probably not bad news for the deal getting done. I still think this runs on until time is up and then a few final concessions happen and they sign whatever that looks like. It really does suck for the fans, we're following this thing on an hourly basis looking for resolution while the two sides intend to squeeze every last advantage out of every minute up to the drop dead date.

So, get ready to do this again for another few days.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
DarrenDreger: Players voted yesterday to give Don Fehr full authority to decide on Disclaimer last night. Obviously, D.Fehr decided against it.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
is anyone else annoyed by the fact that journalism has become so twitter-centric? I love that the TSN guys are tweeting info throughout all of this, but I think it's really bush that most of the articles about the lockout on TSN basically just quote the tweets. This sucks because twitter really limits how much info and context you can put out there so I really wish these reporters would go more in depth on the actual articles.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
is anyone else annoyed by the fact that journalism has become so twitter-centric? I love that the TSN guys are tweeting info throughout all of this, but I think it's really bush that most of the articles about the lockout on TSN basically just quote the tweets. This sucks because twitter really limits how much info and context you can put out there so I really wish these reporters would go more in depth on the actual articles.

I agree. It is frustrating to get bits and pieces of incomplete and uncontextualized information. It satisfies impatience but it is otherwise frustrating.

The genie is out of the bottle though and that's just how it is now.

Like my mother-in-law says, "you die just in time."

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Nice.

I went to bed at 1030, baby woke me up at 1032, and every 45 to 90 minutes thereafter until I just called it quits at 5.

ha. same here. only i let the wife get up. I did it the nite before and have to work at 6am. #firstandonlykid

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
Donald Fehr will not participate in this meeting with the league.

Interesting...

In retrospect, this probably meant that he did not expect much to get done or moved forward today and was content to occupy himself drumming up support from the players for his latest bargaining tool, i.e., disclaimer redux. Seems like today was just a formality to summarize the points upon which there remains a gap.

This is like taking a step half the distance to a wall over and over.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

I agree. I think it mostly has to do with these people want to be the first to report it and companies like TSN want to be the first to have an article, so you get this crap.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003

Even though I'm on twitter, just like everyone else, I tend to agree with you. If you want quality journalism and something substantive, twitter isn't the medium for that. If there is anything that has been proven/exposed through twitter in this lockout, its that very few have information and the rest just retweet or copy it.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

Ab-so-freakin-lutley..

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
Hey, there's Randy. I have not been around here much - how you doing?

You know, one of the things that is going to keep holding up this process is the lawyers writing up the terms in legal language. The owners and union will talk about terms, write things down in non-legal fashion, kind of agree on something, and then somebody's lawyers take a crack at putting it in contract form and they ALWAYS put the legal teeth into it that do not show up in ordinary conversation. Then the other side sees it in contract form and reacts to the tougher implementation than they were expecting. Anybody who has dealt with the contract process knows how that goes. It just adds to the time and tedium of getting the deal done, even when things feel pretty much settled. Our lawyers always say, "they're trying to make THEIR problems YOUR problem" or "they're trying to tuck it to you" when reviewing contracts during the process.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Amen.

Disclaimer, I don't use or understand Twitter at all.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003

You know, one of the things that is going to keep holding up this process is the lawyers writing up the terms in legal language. The owners and union will talk about terms, write things down in non-legal fashion, kind of agree on something, and then somebody's lawyers take a crack at putting it in contract form and they ALWAYS put the legal teeth into it that do not show up in ordinary conversation. Then the other side sees it in contract form and reacts to the tougher implementation than they were expecting. Anybody who has dealt with the contract process knows how that goes. It just adds to the time and tedium of getting the deal done, even when things feel pretty much settled.

Hey Kevin, how are things going? I've been great man. You need to be around and post more often dude. I figure the CBA is likely 85-90 percent done. As you say, the devil is in the details and what we are seeing now is the nitty gritty of the deal.I think we shall see a couple "rough" days soon, then the deal consummated.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

What's a twitter?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Amen.

Disclaimer, I don't use or understand Twitter at all.

For the record, I love Twitter, but I just think it's a terrible medium for reporting news and it has sadly become one of the core sources for journalists. It's a joke that at the end of a long day of negotiations that the front page article on TSN is nothing more than a list of all the important tweets during the day. They don't attempt to elaborate or add any more info...it's really crappy.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
Hey Kevin, how are things going? I've been great man. You need to be around and post more often dude. I figure the CBA is likely 85-90 percent done. As you say, the devil is in the details and what we are seeing now is the nitty gritty of the deal.I think we shall see a couple "rough" days soon, then the deal consummated.

Going pretty good. Been super busy for past X months with the new company. Also tired of all this nonsense - again - with NHL and the lockout. It is what it is, as they say, but one of the things it is is pretty broken if this keeps happening to the league. Hope things are good with you, happy 2013!

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

You know, one of the things that is going to keep holding up this process is the lawyers writing up the terms in legal language. The owners and union will talk about terms, write things down in non-legal fashion, kind of agree on something, and then somebody's lawyers take a crack at putting it in contract form and they ALWAYS put the legal teeth into it that do not show up in ordinary conversation. Then the other side sees it in contract form and reacts to the tougher implementation than they were expecting. Anybody who has dealt with the divorce process knows how that goes. It just adds to the time and tedium of getting the deal done, even when things feel pretty much settled. Our lawyers always say, "they're trying to make THEIR problems YOUR problem" or "they're trying to tuck it to you" when reviewing contracts during the process.

Fixed it for ya! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad