Prospect Info: 2012-2013 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) *Part III*

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That's his peak upside now, IMO. A shame since he did appear to have legitimate top 6 potential.

I think he still has some upside. His size and skating are pretty good and he has good hockey IQ. I seem to be saying this a lot but normally if a player understands the defensive side of the puck well at a young age and has good tools and flashes potential, I normally believe they will be fine. I think he is very raw and will take a while to develop though.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Who exactly thinks after watching a handful of Notre Dame games this season that Fogarty is already a bottom 6 forward? He just turned 20.

:shakehead shakehead to the one millionth power !

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Wasn't talking about you....

....was talking about this impatient so and so :p:

??? I do not think Fogarty is currently a bottom-six forward. In fact, I think he has a long way to go. Your comment reads that I (or someone else) currently feels he's a bottom-six forward.

On the contrary. I think he has a long, long way to go.

However, I do not feel that he has much top-six upside. Perhaps he can find a scoring touch, but he was not overly impressive in the BCHL and was extremely underwhelming in the NCAA. He was also a fairly fast cut from USA at the WJCs despite being a more experienced, older, and bigger player.

I don't feel comfortable describing him as a forward with true top-six upside.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Wasn't talking about you....

....was talking about this impatient so and so :p:

I picture you guys as these guys....

grumpy-muppets.jpg

:laugh::laugh:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I still have hope for Fogarty. NDs Center depth was stacked and Jeff Jackson doesn't exactly run and gun. I've always viewed him as a long, long term project. He was just as raw, of not more raw, than Kreider coming out of HS. 3-4 year college player, then significant AHL time.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
??? I do not think Fogarty is currently a bottom-six forward. In fact, I think he has a long way to go. Your comment reads that I (or someone else) currently feels he's a bottom-six forward.

On the contrary. I think he has a long, long way to go.

However, I do not feel that he has much top-six upside. Perhaps he can find a scoring touch, but he was not overly impressive in the BCHL and was extremely underwhelming in the NCAA. He was also a fairly fast cut from USA at the WJCs despite being a more experienced, older, and bigger player.

I don't feel comfortable describing him as a forward with true top-six upside.

You said his peak as of now is bottom 6 forward. That's the part that seems off, still too early to know what his peak is, yet your confident in your analysis.

Saying he was extremely underwhelming at the College level is serious exaggeration. Almost the same with the WJC team stuff. So he didn't make the team, should I list you all the good players who never made the WJC team?

Again, he didn't set the world on fire, that's it, definite bottom 6 player, no doubt in your mind...

I picture you guys as these guys....

grumpy-muppets.jpg

:laugh::laugh:

Yes, I'm the guy on the left.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Thanks for the feedback about Fogarty.
I don't watch any ncaa games, so I was wondering why he disappeared from the radar. Hopefully in a couple of years we can start hearing more about him.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Thanks for the feedback about Fogarty.
I don't watch any ncaa games, so I was wondering why he disappeared from the radar. Hopefully in a couple of years we can start hearing more about him.

I think Fogarty still has some upside. It was his first year in NCAA so time will tell.

Punxrocknyc19*

People need to stop whining about late round picks. The average team drafts slightly over 1 NHL player per draft. If you get 2 players per draft, that's a very, very good draft. If you can pull 3 solid NHL players, that's a tremendous draft. More than 3 players is next to impossible - we haven't done it since 1989 and all those players were very marginal.

Rangers did draft Montoya Dubinsky Callahan and Korpikoski in 2004 although Montoya is a backup and doesnt play much and Korpikoski got traded too quickly.. 2004 was a good draft for NYR..

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
For all you development savy people...What path is the smartest for a player to go through? Or does it really depend on the player?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Saying he was extremely underwhelming at the College level is serious exaggeration. Almost the same with the WJC team stuff. So he didn't make the team, should I list you all the good players who never made the WJC team?

10 points as a 19 year old freshman isn't extremely underwhelming for you? Really? What would be? 5 points? Sam freaking Calabrese outscored him. Let that sink in. His offensive upside is much less than I thought it was when we drafted him. His BCHL season was only the first sign.

Most great players weren't first cuts in their final years of eligibility.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
For all you development savy people...What path is the smartest for a player to go through? Or does it really depend on the player?

Depends on the player, IMO. It's always a convergence of talent, timing, coaching and most importantly determination. Those are things that are constant no matter where you come from.

10 points as a 19 year old freshman isn't extremely underwhelming for you? Really? What would be? 5 points? Sam freaking Calabrese outscored him. Let that sink in. His offensive upside is much less than I thought it was when we drafted him. His BCHL season was only the first sign.

Most great players weren't first cuts in their final years of eligibility.

Sam Calabrese is 3 years older than Fogarty.

His BCHL season was not disappointing at all.

Your acting like he was put into this world of offensive opportunities his first year at ND, when in fact, if you watched his team, you'd see his role. When Lucia was out early he was playing Wing and scored a few points, had a two point game vs N Michigan. Then Lucia came back into the lineup 9 games into the season and Fogarty was put back at Center on the teams 4th line with another Freshman in DiPauli and Soph euro import Schneider. And at the end of the year they gained chemistry and were one of the teams best lines even strength.

Punxrocknyc19*

So Niemi and Pyett gone. oh well not NHL guys. Rather play kids

signing players like this to NHL contracts are useless especially if they have no future in the NHL like Niemi and Pyett.... too bad Valentenko didnt work out a few years ago on the Whale and bolted for Russia and Pashin is too stubborn to play in the AHL. cant NHL teams find out if the player is committed to come to north america..

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Depends on the player, IMO. It's always a convergence of talent, timing, coaching and most importantly determination. Those are things that are constant no matter where you come from.

Sam Calabrese is 3 years older than Fogarty.

His BCHL season was not disappointing at all.

Your acting like he was put into this world of offensive opportunities his first year at ND, when in fact, if you watched his team, you'd see his role. When Lucia was out early he was playing Wing and scored a few points, had a two point game vs N Michigan. Then Lucia came back into the lineup 9 games into the season and Fogarty was put back at Center on the teams 4th line with another Freshman in DiPauli and Soph euro import Schneider. And at the end of the year they gained chemistry and were one of the teams best lines even strength.

His BCHL season was certainly disappointing. In fact, you're the first person I know to be seriously happy with it. If anything, the only thing debatable is what degree of disappointment the season actually was. He was very, very streaky in the BCHL (both points-wise and play-wise). Lucia had a better season than him and, funnily enough, has been the better college player as well. And, frankly, I'm not all that high on Lucia as a pro prospect either.

I also love how you ever-so-condescendingly assume I didn't watch him play at ND. I certainly did. A number of times. And, unfortunately, I came away very unimpressed. He does not have the same upside I saw in him when he was in high school (where I saw him play as well).

And Sam Calabrese is ****ing terrible and far from an offensive d-man. Hence my point of how laughable it is that he doubled Fogarty's output and you not being a bit alarmed by that.

I don't get how you can possibly claim that he has not been very underwhelming so far as a prospect and still see top-six upside in him. You are obviously looking at the kid with some seriously rosey glasses.

If anyone on here was going to pimp the kid, it'd be me. I was super, super high on him when we drafted him. Probably the highest of anyone on here since I was familiar with his HS background. He looks more and more like one of my misses, however. I will be the first one to eat crow if he turns it around. I sincerely hope he does. Unlike some around here, I'd rather be wrong than right in a case like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad