Line Combos: 2012-13: Your lineup for opening night

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
Teams are going to be scrambling to get their lineups in order starting Saturday. There will probably be a lot of trades made around the league next week so teams don't have to put quality players through waivers.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
As for the lineup, we kind of know how it will likely look. Good chance one of the Crunch guys gets a 2-3W job. 3C either vets Thompson/Pyatt or better O skilled rookies Killorn (size)/Johnson(speed). The org. will likely consider upgrading 5-6-7D through trade, waivers or AHL.

Next week will be interesting to watch from a fan's point of view. Someone bring Yzerman a pot of coffee, he's going to need it.

Last edited:

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Kind of funny how it's called boltprospects. Where's the prospects in this opening lineup ?

It's kind of funny you apparently just glanced over the projected lineup and didn't read the article, which was chock-full of analysis of why a number of Lightning prospects probably won't fit into the lineup in this shortened-season.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
It's kind of funny you apparently just glanced over the projected lineup and didn't read the article, which was chock-full of analysis of why a number of Lightning prospects probably won't fit into the lineup in this shortened-season.
Who said I didn't read the article, quite an assumption on your part.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

5BlJb.gif

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006

I said it and, you're right, I made an assumption. Which may very be correct for all I know. But if you did read the article, that makes your 'joke' even more bizarre.

Snark for snark, buddy.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I said it and, you're right, I made an assumption. Which may very be correct for all I know. But if you did read the article, that makes your 'joke' even more bizarre.

Snark for snark, buddy.
You are confusing me ? Joke ? Bizarre ? "snark for snark" ? My point is this. It is the goal of every NHL team to win the Stanley Cup, not to merely "make" the playoffs. In order to do this you MUST integrate young talent into your lineup at a reasonable pace. To load your team with serviceable veterans in order to squeak into the playoffs will hurt in the long run. Guy Boucher said yesterday " there is always room in the lineup for better players", and this needs to be done this season. Conacher is 23 years old with one year after this on his contract, now is the time to see if he can make it, if he can't cut him loose. The next in line should be Tyler Johnson, what more does he need to do to get a look? Panik, Killorn, Brown, Palat, Gudas, Barbeiro, and Tokarski are all knocking on the door. Vladdy could also be ready next year, not to mention the juniors players that will be arriving soon. I just found it somewhat ironic that a site called Bolt Prospects took the veteran route. Bizarre (if you say so ???)

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
...It is the goal of every NHL team to win the Stanley Cup, not to merely "make" the playoffs. In order to do this you MUST integrate young talent into your lineup at a reasonable pace. To load your team with serviceable veterans in order to squeak into the playoffs will hurt in the long run. Guy Boucher said yesterday " there is always room in the lineup for better players", and this needs to be done this season...

Two things that stick out to me:

1. What I get from your message here is 'either squeak into the playoffs with veterans or win the cup with youngins.' I believe this to be a false dilemma. These are not the only options, nor is there a guarantee it'll work out like that. There are plenty of teams that have won the cup, and plenty more that have tried, with a team of veteran players.

2. Why does it need to be done this season? The cap? Crombeen, Hall, Thompson, and Wyman all become UFAs this summer. Pouliot an RFA.

If the cap is as big a concern as some of us believe it will be (and I don't think it will) then it may force kids into the lineup anyway. Why not just let nature take it's course?

Yzlamic Preacher*

Ask yourself this: Would Aulie clear waivers?

Sorry for not clarifying the question. I know Aulie won't clear waivers, but I was wondering if I was the only one who would rather leave him in the minors and bring up Taomorina. I know we would have to bring up Aulie but readiness wise.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Sorry for not clarifying the question. I know Aulie won't clear waivers, but I was wondering if I was the only one who would rather leave him in the minors and bring up Taomorina. I know we would have to bring up Aulie but readiness wise.

He's not in the minors. He was a locked out NHLer playing on an AHL contract.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
Probably going to be several conditioning related injuries. The kids will get some games in either way.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
TSN expects Conacher, Connolly, and Taormina to make the club.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=79377

I dont think it would be that bad of an idea to bring some of these kids up and get a look at them at the next level. They have showed they can dominate in the AHL so why not let them have a shot at NHL. I know its a step up but these guys deserve it. If you blend some of these guys with the vets, it may not be such a bad idea.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Two things that stick out to me:

1. What I get from your message here is 'either squeak into the playoffs with veterans or win the cup with youngins.' I believe this to be a false dilemma. These are not the only options, nor is there a guarantee it'll work out like that. There are plenty of teams that have won the cup, and plenty more that have tried, with a team of veteran players.

2. Why does it need to be done this season? The cap? Crombeen, Hall, Thompson, and Wyman all become UFAs this summer. Pouliot an RFA.

If the cap is as big a concern as some of us believe it will be (and I don't think it will) then it may force kids into the lineup anyway. Why not just let nature take it's course?

1. Sorry I didn't explain myself well. This team (in my opinion) is equipped to make the playoffs, but not good enough to win a stanley cup. We know what the veterans can do, I believe it is time to check out some of the propects on the farm. You need veterans players to win, but young guys need to play to become veterans. I'm talking about looking to the future, not so much as what is best for this year. Thinking about the long term good of the team.

2. I feel they need to start to see what they have this season because MSL isn't getting any younger. There is also the potential to be a log jam of prospects if you don't integrate them into the lineup. You need to be constantly promoting from within, you don't want anymore than a couple rookies learning the ropes at as time.
They need to make a real run in the next couple of years with Vinny and MSL still capable of playing key roles. You may just be surprised at what you got on the farm.

CC321 Your right injuries on such a compact season probably makes it all a mute point, some Crunch will end up playing significant minutes on the Lightning this year.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
If Aulie didn't have to clear waivers I'd probably prefer Taormina, yes.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Do you guys think it's a good or a bad thing for Lindback that this season will only have 48 or 50 games instead of 82?

Pro: He's played in 38 NHL games over two season so far and with the shortened season he could split those fewer games evenly with Garon (25:25 maybe) reducing his workload and responsibility in his first year.

Con: There's not much time for him to adjust and find his groove. If Garon is hot Boucher is probably gonna play him for as long as possible (and vice versa of course).

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Do you guys think it's a good or a bad thing for Lindback that this season will only have 48 or 50 games instead of 82?

Pro: He's played in 38 NHL games over two season so far and with the shortened season he could split those fewer games evenly with Garon (25:25 maybe) reducing his workload and responsibility in his first year.

Con: There's not much time for him to adjust and find his groove. If Garon is hot Boucher is probably gonna play him for as long as possible (and vice versa of course).

I think it'll probably be a good thing.

as to your point about Boucher playing the hot goalie, the Bruins had a case of that with Tukka Rask the season after Thomas won the Vezina, but this was not the last we heard of the tin foil hatted netminder.

I don't mean to put Lindback on a similar tier with Thomas, it's just that if he's the legit #1 long term, he'll find a way.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
I'd like to see if Kucherov and Stamkos have any chemistry. That one will have to wait until next training camp though.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England

I'd say its a good thing as he has never shouldered the number 1 workload before.

Should he play well he will see what 35 games tops? That should be enough to ease him in to next season carrying the load over a longer season.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
I'd like to see if Kucherov and Stamkos have any chemistry. That one will have to wait until next training camp though.

I think long term it would be better to put him on Vinnys wing, Vinny is a much better playmaker and I don't think you want to waste Kucherovs laser putting him on a line with Stamkos as you will force him to play more pass first.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I think long term it would be better to put him on Vinnys wing, Vinny is a much better playmaker and I don't think you want to waste Kucherovs laser putting him on a line with Stamkos as you will force him to play more pass first.

Kucherov already is pass first if the WJC is any indication. I see Kucherov as a middle guy to be honest, some nights he will be shoot first like a Stamkos, other nights he will be pass first like a Richards. Honestly I would like to see him with one year in the AHL first before I call him up.

Would really love to see the Red line all here in a couple of years, but that Gusev kid needs to come over for that to happen.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
I was sad to hear Malone got a hair cut. I had plans for him to be the emergency goalie. Instead of using the butterfly technique to take away the bottom of the net, he was to use the bird nest technique to take away the top of the net.

Cousin-It.jpg

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
TSN expects Conacher, Connolly, and Taormina to make the club.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=79377

Pretty sure that's a swing and a miss on Taormina, who is superfluous so long as the Lightning have Carle and Bergeron on the roster. Can't imagine the Lightning will be afraid to expose Taormina to waivers when they have Barberio, who appears set to replace Bergeron in the fall, waiting in the wings.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad