OT: 2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part X: Is There Any Hope? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Those certain conditions are probably higher cap and 7 year limits. HRR settled. Pa ok with 10 yr Cba. So now.. raise the hard cap to around 63-65 mil and settle at 7 yr limits and drop the puck

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
It's not the 4th it's the 11th, to start on the 19th.

Starting on the 19th apparently allows a 48-game season (which is the minimum required amt of games the NHL wants).

In order to start on the 19th, a deal would have to be done by the 11th.
Uh wait, so no training camp or anything? Did the NHL not see how many nba players went down last year? No training camp would be an awful idea, not to mention players are all around the world. No way they have til the 11th if they want to start on the 19th

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Uh wait, so no training camp or anything? Did the NHL not see how many nba players went down last year? No training camp would be an awful idea, not to mention players are all around the world. No way they have til the 11th if they want to start on the 19th

7 day training camp with a 2 or 3 day period to get players back from Europe. That's the time between the 11th and the 19th. The 11th is the absolute latest they need to have a deal by.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Those certain conditions are probably higher cap and 7 year limits. HRR settled. Pa ok with 10 yr Cba. So now.. raise the hard cap to around 63-65 mil and settle at 7 yr limits and drop the puck

Sounds good to me.

And thanks for the answers on the settlement date! When I first read it I remember reading a bunch of conflicting dates, and the January 4th date was one that came to mind.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
7 day training camp with a 2 or 3 day period to get players back from Europe. That's the time between the 11th and the 19th. The 11th is the absolute latest they need to have a deal by.

That's just asking for injuries imo though. Get this done much sooner then the 11th

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
That's just asking for injuries imo though. Get this done much sooner then the 11th

Coaching staffs are going to have to adjust to avoid injuries. Most players have been working to keep in shape, so I don't think it matters whether there is an extra couple of days to get ready for the season. Teams are going to have to use their benches and hope that players remember the system. There's going to be very little practice time during a shortened season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So what do my fellow HFers think, is this looking good? Seems like there's optimism.

Personally ever since talks blew up last time I've been 55%/45% that we would have a season, but 80% sure it would go down to the wire right before the drop dead date. The talks this week haven't made that percentage for me go up or down, but many seem optimistic.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
so the PA asked for a 67M cap in year 2 in exchange for the 10 year CBA agreement the NHL wants. If I'm a betting man (if a deal gets done), they will give the players a cap of 63-65M to get their 10 year CBA

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Don't get to tied up in the next couple days until you start seeing the podium coming out. Until then, remain cautious with optimism and then wait. Also, it's not going to come right away. If anything, I'm expecting an agreement no earlier than Friday. Sat and Sun for player travel. 7 day camp opens on the Monday. Games begin on the Monday or the Tuesday the following week. January 14th will be opening day at the earliest IMO. Any date after, move up 1 day for each until the drop dead date of the 12th

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I expect when the podium comes out this whole website will crash again like last time when it happened last month! I wouldn't be surprised with another blow up happening before this is all over. Hopefully the last, but I'm still 55% sure there will be a 48 game season, and the meetings this week haven't changed my opinion on that one way or the other.

Lip

Jul 9, 2009
Albany
On the main board there was also talk of a Jan 12th start date which would allow a 52 game season. But in order for that to happen the lockout would have to end over the next 3 or so days, correct?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
http://www.insiderrumors.com/2013/no-team/nhl-lockout-over-before-end-of-the-week-confirmed/

Here are the CBA details that the NHL and NHLPA have already agreed upon:

• $300M make whole amount, with no salary rollbacks and 50-50 HRR split
  • Maximum contract length at 6 years
  • Salary cap at $70.2M this season, goes down to $63.5M next season, but teams have option to buy out 1 player before season starts with no cap impact
  • No re-entry waivers
  • Extended Christmas break for players
  • Duration of new CBA 10 years, with both NHL and NHLPA having the option of opting out after 8.

Would mean we can resign our RFAs and keep Ghidorah intact as well. Very good news if true!

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
http://www.insiderrumors.com/2013/no-team/nhl-lockout-over-before-end-of-the-week-confirmed/

Would mean we can resign our RFAs and keep Ghidorah intact as well. Very good news if true!

Compared to what I thought they would get, it's hard to see this as anything but a win for the players. So when you look at it that way, it's easy to say that Fehr did his job. Until you remember that nothing in that deal comes close to making up for the money and time they've lost already.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Compared to what I thought they would get, it's hard to see this as anything but a win for the players. So when you look at it that way, it's easy to say that Fehr did his job. Until you remember that nothing in that deal comes close to making up for the money and time they've lost already.

It is about more than money. They salvaged 27 y/o ufa, arbitration, 3 yr rookie deals, more years on contracts, the definition of hrr, a pension... and for some bizarre reason were forced to go to bat for more revenue sharing. Tried to redefine the calculation of the cap floor which was essentially nixed. Players are using up their negotiation assets on league gains including a higher cap next year and amnesty buyouts.

Players did a good job considering the starting point in September.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Thats the perception the league was trying to create with that laughable low-ball offer to kick things off.

The players earned nothing this round -- the only victory that can hang their hats on is what they didnt lose from the previous CBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad