OT: 2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part X: Is There Any Hope? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
NHL is not budging on the cap for next season. Pension stuff was settled in December but NHL bent in other areas so they want take back something. They met this morning about the pension.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
NHL is not budging on the cap for next season. Pension stuff was settled in December but NHL bent in other areas so they want take back something. They met this morning about the pension.

They'll budge. Just give it some time. Heck, even many of the owners want a higher cap for next year.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
They'll budge. Just give it some time. Heck, even many of the owners want a higher cap for next year.

Im not so sure. This is Bettman's latest attempt to manufacture parity and prop up smaller market teams.

He is welcoming good players like Gaborik falling onto the trade markets with limited value since they're salary dumps. Gaborik doesnt put butts in the seats in NYC, but he certainly could somewhere else.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
But they'll try to milk something out of it first.
Of course. I don't think they ever really expected to get a 60 million cap next season. Aim high, makes it look like you're compromising. Same with 5 year contract limits, 43% player's share, etc.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Have they settled the amnesty buy-out issue? I haven't heard a thing about it a while.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Im not so sure. This is Bettman's latest attempt to manufacture parity and prop up smaller market teams.

He is welcoming good players like Gaborik falling onto the trade markets with limited value since they're salary dumps. Gaborik doesnt put butts in the seats in NYC, but he certainly could somewhere else.

We'll know soon enough...but I'm confident it will end up above 60M. By how much I have no idea...but it will go up. Hopefully for us by at least 3M.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
It's almost as if the big-market, high-revenue teams, who are in fear of the gang of eight led by Jacobs, are letting the PA fight the good fight for them.

Say what you will, the 60 mill cap could be the harpoon that sinks this ship and sends us to the actual brink in a few days. Hope I'm wrong....hey if Congress can do it, so can the league and the PA.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Have they settled the amnesty buy-out issue? I haven't heard a thing about it a while.

NHL agreed to a one-time amnesty buyout in latest offer according to LeBrun. Much like in the NBA salary won't count against the cap but will count against player's share. I feel like stuff like this and the 60 million year 2 cap the NHL was always willing to negotiate but they are making them sticking points to try to get concessions in other areas. All part of the negotiation process. I'm confident there will be hockey being played in a few weeks.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
NHL agreed to a one-time amnesty buyout in latest offer according to LeBrun. Much like in the NBA salary won't count against the cap but will count against player's share.
Yep, I remember that. I have a hard time believing the union would just agree to it as is though.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Its funny to watch some posters who were trumpeting a pro-owners/for the long-term health of the game message wilt the second it becomes clear that this type of philosophy will likely hurt the Rangers.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Its funny to watch some posters who were trumpeting a pro-owners/for the long-term health of the game message wilt the second it becomes clear that this type of philosophy will likely hurt the Rangers.
Meh, I don't really see it as a paradox.

I've supported the views of the owners in many cases, but at the end of the day what I want to see is whatever is best for the Rangers.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Players won't get the 67M cap they want, but NHL should be ok with 63M or so. in the middle of what the NHL and PA both want/need.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Meh, I don't really see it as a paradox.

I've supported the views of the owners in many cases, but at the end of the day what I want to see is whatever is best for the Rangers.

Fair enough, but you'd have to know coming into this that the Rangers and other large market teams were going to suffer no matter the outcome. This is, and always has been, about Bettman trying to atone for the poor performance of the bottom half team's in the NHL.

Alot of opinions from the start were "I dont care what happens, I just want to see hockey." When its become clearer and clearer that the Rangers might have to dismantle their team this summer, its not so cut and dry anymore.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The only thing that will REALLY fix the NHL is to get rid of some teams honestly. For instance, no one cares about the NHL (or sports in general outside of college) in Florida, and they have 2 nhl teams there.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007

Having money to spend WAS the problem.

The Rangers became a good team with quality drafting/development and commitment to youth. Sure free agency plays a big role, but there will always be top end free agents willing to sign in NY. Should that continue there is nothing to worry about. See: Detroit.

As bad as Slats has been with UFA signings, he handles RFA signings very well and is a wizard in trades.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Fair enough, but you'd have to know coming into this that the Rangers and other large market teams were going to suffer no matter the outcome. This is, and always has been, about Bettman trying to atone for the poor performance of the bottom half team's in the NHL.

Alot of opinions from the start were "I dont care what happens, I just want to see hockey." When its become clearer and clearer that the Rangers might have to dismantle their team this summer, its not so cut and dry anymore.
Dismantle is a bit dramatic, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad