OT: 2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part X: Is There Any Hope? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
If NHL fans had the guts, we'd do what baseball fans did from the last strike. Has there ever been an MLB strike since then? No.

We have to show that we won't tolerate this crap anymore. It's getting absolutely ridiculous at this point.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Time is running out. These sides have not met face to face in 12 days. That meeting was a short meeting. If they don't meet this week,next Monday is Christmas Eve. Meeting between December 23-26 is out of the question. A few more days left in December. Then its January.

"Things remain status quo with the union," Daly, the NHL's deputy commissioner, said in an e-mail to the Star Tribune. "There was no contact over the weekend, and there are no new meetings planned. We obviously would prefer that the players return to the bargaining table at the earliest possible date to see if there is a deal to be done.

"Ultimately, a deal will have to be agreed to, regardless of the forum. I suppose it is ultimately up to them to choose what forum that will be, but the union pretending it's not a union anymore certainly isn't going to expedite things."

In response, Fehr, the NHLPA's Special Counsel, e-mailed the Star Tribune: "There is no need for the players to 'return' to the table because the players have never left. It was the owners who indicated last Thursday that they had nothing more to say right now. We are ready to bargain whenever they are."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/17/3146851/nhl-labor-strife-getting-uglier.html#storylink=cpy

Last Thursday,both sides were at the mediators office in New Jersey. Bob Batterman was there for the NHL. Steve Fehr for the NHLPA. They didn't meet face to face.

All of these Canadian lawyers believe this situation is going to court. That Macramella guy from TSN and Rob Becker from Sportsnet. Court? There is no time for court. The NBA players disclaimed interest and a CBA was reached 12 days later.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Will the PA wait until January 2nd to disclaim interest if the players vote to give authorization to the board?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Sad that one of our prime opportunities to win a cup with Lundquist at his peak, plus Nash and Gaborik and Richards all in their primes, is gonna get wasted.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If NHL fans had the guts, we'd do what baseball fans did from the last strike. Has there ever been an MLB strike since then? No.

We have to show that we won't tolerate this crap anymore. It's getting absolutely ridiculous at this point.

I dont understand the analogy.

The equivalent would be hockey players shooting up with massive amounts of steroids, having 100 goal seasons, and the fans coming back in droves.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It sounds like the PA will disclaim interest soon. Voting ends Thursday. Maybe Friday. File lawsuits too.

From a branding point of view, NHL hockey and its multiple corporate sponsors are facing a huge hurdle, Kincaid says. The passionate fans are angry, the neutral fans turned off and bored, the mostly non-fans – the people hockey needs to attract if it hopes to grow – disgusted.

“Think what this means to the sponsors of hockey,” Kincaid says. “For almost one-third of Canadians, you are wasting your time on them. You’ve lost them. They are not going to become even ‘neutral.’”

As for those who do care about the game and still feel cheated, Kincaid says anyone who believes all the NHL has to do is come back and all will go back to as it was should think again.

“It’s about damage control with these people,” he says, “not about action on the ice.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...id=rss1&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Angry? That's being nice.

Its the 3rd lockout for Gary.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
It sounds like the PA will disclaim interest soon. Voting ends Thursday. Maybe Friday. File lawsuits too.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...id=rss1&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I think Gary will take the blame if the league revenue is down 2 years from now (if the legal battle is averted) and will get canned then, if ever.
Fehr will most likely be gone as well - probably soon after a new, longer deal is finally reached
Good riddance!

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010

Angry?? Absolutely.

I am on the verge of giving up my season tickets however it's not because of Gary. I know whose taking my money (and it's not just the owners) and now I know how they feel about me. Whose left to root for?

Last edited:

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008

If I didn't have a deep passion for the Rangers since the day I was born, I wouldn't be back. However, my love for the Rangers more than my love for the NHL will be what brings me back, like last time. If anyone gives up their season tickets and chooses not to be a fan of the game anymore, I wouldn't blame them in the slightest. I just can't do it. I think that's what the NHL is banking on anyway, diehard fans that will no matter what be back. But I hope they're wrong.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Steve Fehr reached out to Bill Daly today. Short phone call. But still nothing scheduled in terms of resuming bargaining talks

Touching base again. Someone on the main board mentioned that Darren Dreger said on the team 1040 in Vancouver that the NHLPA would contact the NHL today or tomorrow about getting back to the table by the end of the week. This was before LeBrun tweeted that. NHLPA doesn't have to disclaim interest until Jan 2nd if the vote passes so they still have time to negotiate.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think the season is gone. Just doesn't seem like they want to take this seriously and get it done. If they did they would be meeting around the clock.

goatt

Aug 17, 2007
No there's no hope for this year. The worst part is losing a year is that we really could have had the cup, period.

Nerd alert: I searched the last thread and no one pointed out that VIIII isn't 9 in Roman numerals IX is.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
No there's no hope for this year. The worst part is losing a year is that we really could have had the cup, period.

Nerd alert: I searched the last thread and no one pointed out that VIIII isn't 9 in Roman numerals IX is.
I remember someone mentioning that in the last thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad