OT: 2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part X: Is There Any Hope? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
When did I say he deserves to be bashed? Please, I'd like you to show me.

The only thing I don't get is how Lundqvist has been classy this entire time. It's clearly proven that he has not been. Maybe he's been one of the "more" classy players, but he has definitely not been classy during the ENTIRE lockout. I guess he has been classy during the entire lockout if it's considered classy to tweet someone's salary and mention how "If Bettman's getting paid X amount, the league can't be doing that bad." Very classy.

Well, it doesn't make him not classy. I'm with him. If you say the league's financial system needs to be tweeked and he's taking in $8 million and wants the players' salaries cut to help out, what about him?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm certain that many people here have vented on social media before when they felt wronged by something. It doesn't make them classless, it just shows a relative lack of tact and PR skills.

Petey Pucks

Feb 10, 2009
Jersey City, NJ
Well, it doesn't make him not classy. I'm with him. If you say the league's financial system needs to be tweeked and he's taking in $8 million and wants the players' salaries cut to help out, what about him?

My thoughts exactly....Bettman makes way to much for a guy who is very responsible for 3 lockouts during his tenure

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm certain that many people here have vented on social media before when they felt wronged by something. It doesn't make them classless, it just shows a relative lack of tact and PR skills.

I'm not sure I would even go that far. As terrible as it is to say, the opinions of the media and of the fans have never even come into consideration for either side, except as negotiating tools and unsuccessful ones at that. The players have been totally unconcerned with how the negotiation is playing in the public. So have the owners. That's not a lack of tact or a lack of PR skills. It's a mutual realization that these things don't actually matter.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Isn't one of the things we love about Henrik as a goalie and team leader is that he wears his emotions on his sleeve? How can we expect him to be any different in "real life?" There is no artiface with him, he is real and authentic. Would you want him to start mouthing platitudes after games? Are not his post game comments always fascinating to listen to because he is so real? These are human beings here with all the strengths and weaknesses we all have. Give the guy a break.

Clowes Line

Cally's Chicken Parm
Aug 11, 2010
New Yawk
www.outsidethegarden.com
Isn't one of the things we love about Henrik as a goalie and team leader is that he wears his emotions on his sleeve? How can we expect him to be any different in "real life?" There is no artiface with him, he is real and authentic. Would you want him to start mouthing platitudes after games? Are not his post game comments always fascinating to listen to because he is so real? These are human beings here with all the strengths and weaknesses we all have. Give the guy a break.

Couldn't have said it better. This is why we love him.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course

While I haven't actually been involved with twitter (other than what I read here), I'm convinced that the medium makes people stupid. Being able to comment about any thing at any time is too tempting. People forget to think before they hit the send button.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

So then what makes a player unclassy? Because he said things just as stupid as other players, but apparently he has been "more classy" than others during the lockout.

And tweeting about Bettman's salary is ****ing stupid. I don't care who said it. Bettman gets paid $8MM to do his job, which unlike Lundqvist, he still has a job when there's a lockout.

Petey Pucks

Feb 10, 2009
Jersey City, NJ
And tweeting about Bettman's salary is ****ing stupid. I don't care who said it. Bettman gets paid $8MM to do his job, which unlike Lundqvist, he still has a job when there's a lockout.

8 million a year is an overpaid salary for a man who is mediocre at his job at best and is responsible for alot of the issues being addressed during this lockout at the moment. he is also partly responsible IMO for the last 2 lockouts

time for a new guy at the helm....but thats not gonna happen

Clowes Line

Cally's Chicken Parm
Aug 11, 2010
New Yawk
www.outsidethegarden.com
And there ya have it!

David Alter ‏@DavidAlter590
Meeting is over, Fehr says they got a comprehensive response from the NHL and hope to respond to them tomorrow.

Jesse Spector ‏@jessespector
Tortorella-esque 43-second presser from Fehr. NHL countered yesterday's PA counter. Now union reviews. Likely talk again tomorrow.

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN
#CBA Meeting is done. PA received comprehensive response from league. Taking time to review it tonight. Expect to meet tmrw

Actual bargaining!

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Well that was fast

Jesse Spector‏@jessespector

Tortorella-esque 43-second presser from Fehr. NHL countered yesterday's PA counter. Now union reviews. Likely talk again tomorrow.

Expand Reply
Retweet

Favorite

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
8 million a year is a overpaid salary for a man who is mediocre at his job at best and is responsible for alot of the issues this lockout is dealing with at the moment. he is also partly responsible IMO for the last 2 lockouts

Well the owners don't think he's overpaid, nor do they think he's responsible for the lockouts, because if he was directly responsible for them, he would have been fired.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It's an interesting point in the negotiations. They know no matter what it's 48 or 0. And both sides know that they can get a deal done as late as say... the 10th to get that done.

So, they can really take their "sweet ass time" from today until the 10th to get a deal done. I wouldn't expect a deal done before the 9th, but that's just me.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Thought they wanted camp to start around the 10th or so? Still need it in writing and notarized

Petey Pucks

Feb 10, 2009
Jersey City, NJ
Well the owners don't think he's overpaid, nor do they think he's responsible for the lockouts, because if he was directly responsible for them, he would have been fired.

of course the owners are on his side...bettman is on their side and making alot of the owners money even with 3 lockouts

he only needs 8 owners on his side to keep him there...that's ridiculous

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hey guys main board moves too fast, and I didn't get an answer, and you guys are pretty active on here.

Whatever happened with the January 4th thing? Didn't they need to settle out of court by then or something? I haven't heard anything about it since talks have started back up again.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
https://twitter.com/TGfireandice/status/286312763175878656

https://twitter.com/TGfireandice/status/286313412718383104

Bettman: “In our response there were certain things that the players’ association asked for that we agreed to. There were some things we ...

Bettman cont: "...moved in their direction and there were other things that we said, ‘No’, but that’s part of the process.â€

Almost sounds like they are, you know, negotiating.

RMcDonagh

New York Rangers Cup
Jul 4, 2007
Long Island, NY
Hey guys main board moves too fast, and I didn't get an answer, and you guys are pretty active on here.

Whatever happened with the January 4th thing? Didn't they need to settle out of court by then or something? I haven't heard anything about it since talks have started back up again.

It's not the 4th it's the 11th, to start on the 19th.

Starting on the 19th apparently allows a 48-game season (which is the minimum required amt of games the NHL wants).

In order to start on the 19th, a deal would have to be done by the 11th.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Right, I thought they had to decide whether to file for de-certification by Jan 2.

frankthefrowner

Jan 13, 2007
Nothing has to be settled by the 4th, they can put in motions to postpone any court hearings if need be. The judge in all likely hood doesnt want any part of this anyway. The disclaimer of interest can be revoted on if needed. The only way that happens is if the season gets cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad