2011 - Worst Norris Trophy Winner?

kg14

Mar 7, 2011
There really is not a single Wings fan I know (and I blab with fans a lot, online and in person) who thinks Rafalski even approaches Lidstrom defensively this year. It's just LOL funny to think anyone can think otherwise after claiming even only watching a couple Wings games.

So you don't even watch the games? Rafalski is a very good defenseman, maybe not better than Lidstrom but my point was to illustrate how his stats are better. Which leads to people thinking stats tell all. I think you need to relax a bit man.

kg14

Mar 7, 2011
I really hope that wasn't your idea of a great argument.

With all this discussion lately about how important +/- is, Marek Malik must feel absolutely robbed in the 2003-04 Norris trophy voting.

Considering Malik was a whopping +2 over Chara yet 22 points behind him.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Apparently, rookie Colin white was the beat defenseman on the 2000-01 Devils - after all, he had the best plus-minus!

Here are the worst +/- ratings for Norris Trophy winners:

1980-81 -16 Randy Carlye
1997-98 - 3 Rob Blake
1982-83 0 Rod Langway
1981-82 + 1 Doug Wilson (had 39 goals)
2000-01 + 9 Nick Lidstrom
1975-76 +12 Dennis Potvin (98 points, 31 goals)
2001-02 +13 Nick Lidstrom
1992-93 +14 Chris Chelios
1983-84 +14 Rod Langway
1994-95 +18 Paul Coffey (half season)

In 44 years (as far back as I could get +/-) only 10 seasons have seen a Norris winner under +20. Only two seasons with minuses. And 1980-81 thru 1983-84 accounts for 4 of the ten years.

Read into it whatever. It still seems to me this is a historically bad year for the Norris Trophy.

Blizzard

Feb 22, 2010
My finalists right now are Lidstrom, Letang, and Chara. Lidstrom probably gets the Norris, which I have no problem with.

The only drawback I have from Letang is that he's 4th on the Pens in SH time. It's nto that he can't do it, it's just that they have Orpik and MIchalek who are both studs on the PK. He's played exceedinly well on the PK when out there. Not to mention they have the #1 PK in the NHL.

Letang hasn't even been the best defensemen on his own team since the beginning of the new year.

Last edited:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Here are the worst +/- ratings for Norris Trophy winners:

1980-81 -16 Randy Carlye
1997-98 - 3 Rob Blake
1982-83 0 Rod Langway
1981-82 + 1 Doug Wilson (had 39 goals)
2000-01 + 9 Nick Lidstrom
1975-76 +12 Dennis Potvin (98 points, 31 goals)
2001-02 +13 Nick Lidstrom
1992-93 +14 Chris Chelios
1983-84 +14 Rod Langway
1994-95 +18 Paul Coffey (half season)

In 44 years (as far back as I could get +/-) only 10 seasons have seen a Norris winner under +20. Only two seasons with minuses. And 1980-81 thru 1983-84 accounts for 4 of the ten years.

Read into it whatever. It still seems to me this is a historically bad year for the Norris Trophy.

The top plus/minus has leveled off quite a bit from the high point of the Bruin and Montreal 100plus guys in the early 70's so it's not really a fair comp IMO.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The top plus/minus has leveled off quite a bit from the high point of the Bruin and Montreal 100plus guys in the early 70's so it's not really a fair comp IMO.

How so?

Potvin's +12 is one of the worst and that was before Robinson's +120.

Pronger had a +52 the year before Lidstrom's +9.

3 of the last 7 years Lidstrom has won with a +40.

3 of the 4 worst were from the early 80's.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
How so?

Potvin's +12 is one of the worst and that was before Robinson's +120.

Pronger had a +52 the year before Lidstrom's +9.

3 of the last 7 years Lidstrom has won with a +40.

3 of the 4 worst were from the early 80's.

I'm talking on an overall level not just the individual guy that wins the Norris. I just don't think that we should put too much emphasis on the plus/minus stat as it doesn't always tells us very much about the player in question.

matnor

Oct 3, 2009
Boston
To explain Lidström's poor +/-, I think it's very important to look at the context of teammates and opposition:

Season|+/-|QUALCOMP|QUALTEAM
07/08|40|0.156|0.461
08/09|31|0.086|0.381
09/10|22|0.061|0.380
10/11| -1 |0.129| 0.013

Seems like the sharp decrease in quality of teammates is an important determinant for his bad +/-. That also means, of course, that his nice +/- numbers previous years were largely influenced by him playing with top quality teammates.

Last edited:

RECsGuy*

I believe Lidstrom leads all Detroit blueliners in defensive zone faceoffs. There's a site that tracks that sort of ****. I'm sure a Red Wings fan will post it.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
To explain Lidström's poor +/-, I think it's very important to look at the context of teammates and opposition:

Season|+/-|QUALCOMP|QUALTEAM
07/08|40|0.156|0.461
08/09|31|0.086|0.381
09/10|22|0.061|0.380
10/11| -1 |0.129| 0.013

Seems like the sharp decrease in quality of teammates is an important determinant for his bad +/-. That also means, of course, that his nice +/- numbers previous years were largely influenced by him playing with top quality teammates.

Don't post evidence that doesn't support Mr. Bonvies claims, he will only disregard it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Don't post evidence that doesn't support Mr. Bonvies claims, he will only disregard it.

To tell you the truth, I don't even know what the chart was suppose to prove.

But in a discussion of Nik Lidstrom I find it odd that the guy with the avatar of the Red Wings carrying the Cup is claiming someone with no horse in the race disregards "evidence".

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Most wings fans agree lidstrom is still great but slowing down right? The fact that he's still a favorite definitely shows thy this is a weak year.

Weaker than some of the year in the early 80s? I'm not sure of that.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Most wings fans agree lidstrom is still great but slowing down right? The fact that he's still a favorite definitely shows thy this is a weak year.

Weaker than some of the year in the early 80s? I'm not sure of that.

I would put the last few years as the weakest for defencemen since the 60s... although better than that period.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I really don't think last year was weak at all. Lidstrom was probably better than he is this year and finished 4th. Pronger was also probably better than lidstrom This year and was 5th I think. Hell, if Boyle had the season he had last year this year, he'd be in the discussion to win the thing.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I don't have any stats to back this up but I was thinking today with AO going down for 7-10 days with an injury that has been lingering all year and the Dman parade that it has been in Vancouver this year if injuries are affecting the quality of the race as well as other factors like overall parity in the league?

Just some food for thought, might apply more to forwards than Dmen this year with Malkin, Crosby, AO and Parise off the top of my head.

kg14

Mar 7, 2011
I got ripped apart for saying there is an argument that Rafalski is having a better year than Lidstrom. Rafalski would be right up there in the finalists had he not missed quite a few games.

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
I got ripped apart for saying there is an argument that Rafalski is having a better year than Lidstrom. Rafalski would be right up there in the finalists had he not missed quite a few games.

I'd love to hear that argument.

I would agree that Rafalski has been better than Lidstrom offensively this year. His passes are a big driver of the Red Wings' offence. Unfortunately, he has been really weak defensively. Lidstrom, Kronwall and Stuart are all clearly better defensively. Many Wings fans would also put Salei and lately even Kindl on that list.

I doubt anyone on the Wings board would hold Rafalski's overall season over Lidstrom's.

matnor

Oct 3, 2009
Boston
Show is teammate quality calculated again?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is the relative +/- of teammates weighted with the amount of time they spend together with the player in question, Lidström in this case. That would mean that Lidström's poor QUALTEAM could actually be caused by himself since he obviously influences the +/- of his teammates. I think they should adjust the numbers for that but it doesn't seem to be the case.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is the relative +/- of teammates weighted with the amount of time they spend together with the player in question, Lidström in this case. That would mean that Lidström's poor QUALTEAM could actually be caused by himself since he obviously influences the +/- of his teammates. I think they should adjust the numbers for that but it doesn't seem to be the case.

You're right, it's just a single iteration for QUALTEAM and QUALCOMP. So players affect their teammates' plus-minus which affects their QUALTEAM.

The site proprietor has said he would prefer to run multiple iterations but does not have the computing power available.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don't have any stats to back this up but I was thinking today with AO going down for 7-10 days with an injury that has been lingering all year and the Dman parade that it has been in Vancouver this year if injuries are affecting the quality of the race as well as other factors like overall parity in the league?

Just some food for thought, might apply more to forwards than Dmen this year with Malkin, Crosby, AO and Parise off the top of my head.

Agreed, injuries are indeed a factor.

If Drew Dougherty didn't start the year off injured perhaps he would be a favorite at this point.

kg14

Mar 7, 2011
I'd love to hear that argument.

I would agree that Rafalski has been better than Lidstrom offensively this year. His passes are a big driver of the Red Wings' offence. Unfortunately, he has been really weak defensively. Lidstrom, Kronwall and Stuart are all clearly better defensively. Many Wings fans would also put Salei and lately even Kindl on that list.

I doubt anyone on the Wings board would hold Rafalski's overall season over Lidstrom's.

Not saying that he is better. I was talking in terms of the Norris trophy because people only look at stats including +/-. Rafalski is not weak defensively, he is not amazing but I would say better than Kronwall. Stuart is very solid defensively. Kronwall can throw big hits, but he is out of position a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad