WJC: 2011 U18 World Championship (rosters and general talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Why would teams have to post a final roster by thursday IF they have until the 12th of April (2 days before the World U-18's start to submit final rosters)?

Would not teams perhaps submit prelim rosters leaving a few spots for those who might yet get eliminated or finish playoffs by the 12th?

FOR INSTANCE ---what does Sweden do with JONAS BRODIN? His Farjestads SEL team has just today played game 1 of the SEL playoff Finals....IF Farjestad wins 3 more in consecutive games they will win the SEL championship by April 12th --thus BRODIN could be on the U-18 squad in that case..but if they go past the 12th (into game 5--the World U-18's would have started already -and UNLESS there is still a provision to leave a roster spot open in order to add a player who has finished playoffs AFTEr the World U-18's start ---then Sweden won't be able to play Brodin on the squad...

Was there not such provision to fill the reserved open spot from a player who finished playoffs after the U-18's stsrt --in past years? Did not Canada do that in the past? OR have they now closed that loop-hole by insiting rosters be frozen before the U-18's start? Perhaps somebody canclarify the current rule on this.

IN any case --the SM-J-20 slutspel remaning 4 teams will play the fINAL games (Semi-final winners playoff 1 game Final;Semi-final losers playoff for 3rd and 4th place --all on April 10th
--so have no fear, ZIBANEJAD of Djurgardens j-20 willbe finished in time to make the Swedish world U-18 squad..

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Why would teams have to post a final roster by thursday IF they have until the 12th of April (2 days before the World U-18's start to submit final rosters)?

I don't know if they have to; I just think most will.

Then again, pre-tourney test games in Germany begin on the weekend and I'm not sure if the IIHF has different rulings for this age group than with the WC or even the WJC.

Could be wrong...

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Slovakia Preliminary Roster

Patrik Rybár (HC Slovan Bratislava)
Richard Sabol (P.H.K.Prešov) 1994
Patrik Romančík (HK 36 Skalcia) 1994

Emil Bagin
Peter ČereÅ¡ňák
Tomáš Nechala (all Dukla Trenčín)
Martin Gernát (HC Košice)
Patrik Luža (HC Slovan Bratislava)
Emil Kramár (HK Poprad)
Peter BezuÅ¡ka (HC Třinec/ČR)
Karol Korím (KLH Chomutov/ČR)
Matúš Kováč (HC Hradec Králové/ČR)
Dávid Bajaník (Baie Comeau Drakkar/QMJHL, Kan.)

Matej HinďoÅ¡
Filip Vaško
Peter Boltún
Filip Podsedlý (all HC Košice)
Vladimír Dolník
Andrej Bíreš (both HC 05´Banská Bystrica)
Juraj Bezúch
Tomáš Mikúš (both HK 36 Skalica)
Dominik Fujerík (MHC Martin)
Bruno Mráz (HC Slovan Bratislava)
Marko Daňo (HK Dukla Trenčín) 1994
Richard Mráz (HC Nitra)
Juraj Kucirko (HK Spišská Nová Ves) 1994
Branislav Rapač (HC Třinec/ČR)
Denis Hudec (HC Sparta Praha/ČR).

Don´t really have any expectations.........as per usual.....

pouskin74*

Russian team is SO corrupt that there is very high chance of it relegating to the lower division.

There are 4-5 absolute Good prospects on the team, and the rest are the money-makers for the coach. Speaking of the coach, the fact that he hasn't been fired yet for being the worst team leading up to the U18 tourny ... just SUPER FACE PALM. ^

The more I see this, the more I realise how much russian hockey fed is holding back the developement.

this is a great example: Son of the local governor...
http://mhl.khl.ru/players/16474/

pure nonsense. there is 5-6 "moneybags" (Ivanjushenkov included) but not more than that. Players like Prohorkin,Khohlachev,Shmelev and Zlobin werent invited but i truly believe that players like Yakupov,Grigorenko,Shalunov,Kucerov and Mihkailov can take a leadership pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Exhibition game: Slovakia U18- Slovakia U20 6-1 (2-1,2-0,2-0)
1-0 Daňo (ČereÅ¡ňák)
2-1 Mráz (Bezuška)
3-1 Vaško (Mráz)
4-1 HinďoÅ¡ (Boltun)
5-1 Fujerík (Vaško)
6-1 Daňo (Bezúch)

SVK U18 Line-up: Sabol, Romančík- BezuÅ¡ka, Korím, Mráz, Fujerík, VaÅ¡ko- ČereÅ¡ňák, Nechala, Mráz, Daňo, Bezúch- Kramár, Bajaník, Podsedlý, Boltun,HinďoÅ¡- Luža,Kováč,Dolník, Hlinka, Kucirko

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
Nice! mcneill, murphy, catenacci, murray. I'd like to really see these guys in action as long with jaskin, armia, zibanejad, etc. Someone please tell me this tournmanent is going to be on tsn/sportsnet, would really be a hassle if I had to watch it on the internet.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I heard about Jaskin and Frk. Who else should we keep an eye on?

Hertl, Hyka, Musil, Machovsky and maybe Jenik. The key game for the quarterfinal spot will be against Finland.

HalbertGil*

Not a terrible team :D
I was hoping Barclay Goodrow would be on the team.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
is it necessary? if there is a problems with coach then just say it!

Ok. There are problems with the coach (IMHO) and we won't achieve a thing (again IMHO). So what's the difference now? At least other countries usually fail when they have a bad year (see Canada at WJC). On paper our Russian team is very strong (well, not with this roster I mean, even if there are some excellent talents).

Canuck71*

Glad to see Brett Ritchie from Sarnia make it. He was a pretty highly touted prospect coming back to Sarnia this season but a slow start, injuries and mononucleosis set him back a bit this year. At times when he's healthy he's shown how dominant of a player he can be but not consistently.

I hope he has a good tournament here and really impresses the scout. Despite the down year I still have him as a potential late first early 2nd round pick this year.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
the final roster of the swiss is released:

Torhüter (2):
Boltshauser Luca (GCK Lions),
Kuonen Robin (EHC Visp). (*)

Verteidiger (7):
Guerra Samuel (HC Davos),
Hächler Cédric (GCK Lions),
Hebeisen Silvan (SC Bern Future),
Kreis Sämi (SC Bern Future), (*)
Kukan Dean (GCK Lions),
Leu Marwin (Kloten Flyers),
Marti Christian (Kloten Flyers).

Stürmer (13):
Amstutz Reto (SC Bern Future),
Andrighetto Sven (GCK Lions),
Balmelli Lukas (HC Lugano), (*)
Bertaggia Alessio (HC Lugano),
Bertschy Christoph (SC Bern Future), (*)
Celio Yannic (Kloten Flyers),
Grassi Daniele (HC Ambrì-Piotta),
Hofmann Luka (Kloten Flyers),
Martschini Lino (Petersborough Petes / OHL),
Neuenschwander Jan (HC Davos),
Tanner Richard (Rapperswil-Jona Lakers),
Schmutz Julian (SC Bern Future), (*)
Simion Dario (HC Lugano). (*)

(*)= underager

as I've written above the lack of depth of the 93ers forwards and the nice top talent of 94ers forced them to include 4 underaged attackers.

Pretty much the roster I expected. I thought they would take Antoinetti, who's big, instead of Leu on D, and I expected Leone to be on the team (for Hoffmann or Simion). I'm not sure, Yannic Celio would have been chosen, if he wasn't the son of the coach. he's not far off the team, but he should be a few positions behind on the depth chart IMO. But it's no drama.

Overall a pretty good team with good chances to make the QF. But there is no real weak opponent this year in the group, GER and SVK aren't far worse, so relegation is as always a quite reasonable worst case scenario.

Last edited:

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Hertl, Hyka, Musil, Machovsky and maybe Jenik. The key game for the quarterfinal spot will be against Finland.

Thx,
well it's always hard to judge the Canadian team, maybe they are in the mix too?

BTW, While I've been a swiss Fan (of course) and a supporter of Russia, all my life, and although Switzerland is knocking on the door to the top 7, I really would appreciate the Czechs and Slovaks to develop Top Talent again, I love International Hockey, when there's a a wide field of strong teams with different hockeycultures.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Thx,
well it's always hard to judge the Canadian team, maybe they are in the mix too?

BTW, While I've been a swiss Fan (of course) and a supporter of Russia, all my life, and although Switzerland is knocking on the door to the top 7, I really would appreciate the Czechs and Slovaks to develop Top Talent again, I love International Hockey, when there's a a wide field of strong teams with different hockeycultures.

Mmmh, perhaps. But I favour our chances more over Finland than Canada :)

I would say they're already one foot inside that door ;) We already seem to be losing to the Swiss at the junior levels (last U-17 batch of 3 games we lost 2 vs the Swiss)

I agree, it would be nice, but it won't happen for some time (at least, not until the current changes to the system will take effect) How long did it take the Swedes? 5-6 years? It will take longer for us I suspect.....

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Doesn't look like there will be a preliminary Swedish roster. The Swedish J18 and J20 leagues are having medal games this coming weekend, so not sure when the final roster is coming, but probably any day soon. They just had a camp with this roster, that is obviously lacking players still playing with their clubs and is basically not worth looking at.

Does anyone know why Filip Forsberg isn't included in this list? He seems to have better SuperElit stats than a lot of the forwards on it. He isn't playing with the u17 team in Finland right now either. Allsvenskan playoffs are done, right?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Does anyone know why Filip Forsberg isn't included in this list? He seems to have better SuperElit stats than a lot of the forwards on it. He isn't playing with the u17 team in Finland right now either. Allsvenskan playoffs are done, right?

He was playing with Leksand's J18 team in the playoffs this past weekend. They were knocked out in the quarters. It's definitely not out of the question that he might make this tournament.

Other notable players on his team playing were Victor Rask and very promising -95 born Jacob De La Rose.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Sweden's Entry List

Link (3 GK's, 9 D's and 20 F's). No love for Collberg.

EDIT: No Pontus Ã…berg either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad