2011 NHL Draft Guides (ISS, McKeen's, RLR, The Hockey News, FC, Hockey Prospect)

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
For anyone that has purchased THN draft guide....is it a full listing of players or just their top 100?

thks

Just the top 100 and they only did a write-up for 1st-60th. The other 40 do have a writeup but it's barely a sentence. It's $6 CDN though so I'm satisfied. Does anyone have a sample of Future Considerations? I'd like to see how long the write-up is. I don't care too much about the ranking but I wanna see if their write-ups are significantly longer and more detailed than the THN ones otherwise no point in getting it for a casual prospect follower.

OhNoItsComeau57

Sep 15, 2006
New Orleans
I would rather have a nice looking magazine not some rag tag pages I printed off my home printer....

There is a pretty easy decent solution that I have done for my digital copy of ISS and for FC the last 2 years. If you go to Kinkos for about $5 they can add a clear front and hard colored back cover and bind it with a comb binding. It looks pretty decent and makes reading easier.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Just the top 100 and they only did a write-up for 1st-60th. The other 40 do have a writeup but it's barely a sentence. It's $6 CDN though so I'm satisfied. Does anyone have a sample of Future Considerations? I'd like to see how long the write-up is. I don't care too much about the ranking but I wanna see if their write-ups are significantly longer and more detailed than the THN ones otherwise no point in getting it for a casual prospect follower.

Thank you!

OhNoItsComeau57

Sep 15, 2006
New Orleans

THN always only does the first 60 for "full" writeups. That being said, for the $6 it is worth it. FC is signficantly longer and more detailed in content. Due to copyright issues I dont want to post any actual writeups from previous years, but they are definitely more in depth than THN. Aaron Vickers may be able to send you a sample if you PM him

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
Has there been any word yet how much the Hockey Prospect guide will cost or approximately when it will be released? I would like to get a third draft guide in addition to FC and THN but ISS and RLR are too expensive.

The 2010 FC guide had 3 paragraph write ups for each of the top 50 ranked players. One paragraph for strengths, one for weaknesses and one for notes. Players 51-120 each had a one paragraph write up. Each sentence tended quite short and to the point, making it so they could fit a surprising amount of info into each paragraph.

I don't know whether the write-ups will be the same this year but last year they were quite a bit more in depth than THN, I was really impressed.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
FC's Draft Guide Sneak Peek

cover.jpg

Future Considerations' 2011 Draft Guide Sneak Peek
FC releases Draft Guide Sneak Peek

Last edited:

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
How big are the hockeyprospect.com writeup's per player, a full page each.

Nvmd, I found a sample.

Not really impressed with the reports, I think I'll get RLR this year, even if I thought it could be longer.

Last edited:

MajorPain

Sep 25, 2009
Redline is often mentioned but a list/total ranking is not given/linked by TSN etc. as it is not published online or made public without purchase.
Redline has a clientel that includes basically every NHL club as a customer.
That in itself is a great reference.

Very good point right there and I spoke with a couple of people involved in the hockey world and what keeps coming back about scouts from ISS and other agencies is that there's a lot of old school folks that base their rankings mostly on the performances of prospects in the WJC...which is one of the worst ways since you've got kids of different ages all playing together. ISS and THN tend to overate older players because they perform better in these type of competitions.

It's the younger prospects that you want to check in those type of events to see how to do. Same in the CHL...the most important year for prospects is their 1st as you get to see them face older players and get a good idea of their potential. After that, the 2nd and 3rd years aren't really representative as they end up facing younger kids.

That's my personal opinion but I've been using RLR for a couple years now and they're great! They can be totally wrong on some of those long shot europeans but their rankings are based on lots of aspects that aren't covered as much with other rankings.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
RLR draft guide is only 32 pages, that seems a bit short.

There are zero pictures. It is all writing, and the print is actually pretty small. One complaint is the red paper too, which is a bit much if reading it in a long sitting. But there is a ton content and no shortage of reading material.

Nice job by FC. Like the sample.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
There are zero pictures. It is all writing, and the print is actually pretty small. One complaint is the red paper too, which is a bit much if reading it in a long sitting. But there is a ton content and no shortage of reading material.

Nice job by FC. Like the sample.

It is red so it cannot be easily reproduced.

Yes the guide is 32 pages....keep in mind most clients also receive the report which is monthly at 12 pages per so it is 150-200 pages of scouting info in total.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
It is red so it cannot be easily reproduced.

Yes the guide is 32 pages....keep in mind most clients also receive the report which is monthly at 12 pages per so it is 150-200 pages of scouting info in total.

Is the bulletin worth getting also, or is it best to just read his monthly reports in USA Today?

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I honestly could not say.

The report (pro) is the one I have had.........costly $300 but worth it.

Not many avg. fans would need that detail or expense.

You are a scout right, so shelling out 300 would make sense.

Is the pro report like the draft guide, just every month?

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Just some (updated) notes on our 2011 NHL Entry Draft Guide, since we have made some changes and expanded it:
-Top 200 Ranking
-Profiles on the Top-125
-Top 10 Sleepers
-Mock draft
-Features on the top-ranked prospects, including Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sean Couturier, Gabriel Landeskog, Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Murphy, Nathan Beaulieu, Duncan Siemens, Mark McNeill and Rocco Grimaldi.

And beyond 2011:
-Top-40 for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft
-Galchenyuk and Yakupov feature
-13 Prospect Profiles for '13

Note that we've added some features this year (as well as a much improved design). If you click on the headshot of each player, the link will take you to our blog with a history of features that said player was tagged in. We've also linked up our Facebook, YouTube and Twitter accounts to the guide as well.

Enjoy!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad