2011 NHL Draft Guides (ISS, McKeen's, RLR, The Hockey News, FC, Hockey Prospect)

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
DobberHockey's is out in two weeks. More of a fantasy slant, but a comprehensive mock and player profiles.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Cost?

How many players listed/ranked?

http://www.dobberhockey.com/PR11.html

$13.99

Mock draft for first five rounds (including why team X would take a certain player).

Player profiles for top 70-80.

Example from 2009:

Brayden McNabb, D
Ht/Wt: 6'4, 195 lbs Born: 21/1/1991 (18)
2008-09 Team: Kootenay Ice (WHL)
2008-09 Statline: 67 GP, 10-26-36, 140 PIM
Scouting Report: Looking for that dark horse d-man who could be the next Shea Weber? Look no further than
Brayden McNabb. The same height, about the same weight, and every bit just as imposing physically, McNabb had
a remarkable year for a player many have pegged as simply a rough-and-tumble stay at home defenseman. While
McNabb does have mobility issues over longer distances and isn't the most skilled, he's a decent enough skater inzone.
A lack of fancy puck skills doesn't hurt him, either; he knows where to put it, who to get it to and when to
shoot. Altogether, it's an enticing package that both real and fantasy GMs will be hard-pressed to pass up.
Notable Numbers: Still think the Weber comparison is out to lunch? Look at his 18/19-year-old year: 60 GP, 12-
20-32, 126 PIM. Look similar?

DobberHockey

Mar 11, 2006
www.dobberhockey.com
Is it just me, or does a fantasy draft guide seem pretty pointless, I mean it seems to me it's doing the same thing as any draft guide I know is doing and that is projecting players, unless it has something like projected point totals, but even then projecting NHL point totals for teenagers is very difficult.

I go out there with my upsides because I truly believe in the definition of upside - as in, a player should not be able to beat it, if I'm doing my homework. So I get it as low as I can without risking a player topping it. So yes, of the 300-odd drafted players that I give upsides for, there are perhaps 150 forwards and maybe 40 of them have 80 as an upside. Will they get there? Maybe five of them will. Tops. We also add a % certainty/confidence that the player will reach that upside as part of the profile.

This year, however, I have added a new stat: the "3YP" in which I take the projected "likely" three best NHL seasons and give a more realistic number. So although Player X has an upside of 80 points, he may have a 3YP of 53. I introduced this stat in the Midseason Guide and the readers were quite positive about it. So I'm blowing it out into all of my guides.

Other than the 300+ profiles of drafted players, researched by Russian player expert Seren Rosso, goaltending expert Goldman, plus myself, Angus and Renaud...there will also be about 100 profiles of 2011 draftees by Matt Bugg, with his Mock Draft..

You are absolutely correct though - the younger the player, the more difficult it is to pin down an upside or projection.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I go out there with my upsides because I truly believe in the definition of upside - as in, a player should not be able to beat it, if I'm doing my homework. So I get it as low as I can without risking a player topping it. So yes, of the 300-odd drafted players that I give upsides for, there are perhaps 150 forwards and maybe 40 of them have 80 as an upside. Will they get there? Maybe five of them will. Tops. We also add a % certainty/confidence that the player will reach that upside as part of the profile.

This year, however, I have added a new stat: the "3YP" in which I take the projected "likely" three best NHL seasons and give a more realistic number. So although Player X has an upside of 80 points, he may have a 3YP of 53. I introduced this stat in the Midseason Guide and the readers were quite positive about it. So I'm blowing it out into all of my guides.

Other than the 300+ profiles of drafted players, researched by Russian player expert Seren Rosso, goaltending expert Goldman, plus myself, Angus and Renaud...there will also be about 100 profiles of 2011 draftees by Matt Bugg, with his Mock Draft..

You are absolutely correct though - the younger the player, the more difficult it is to pin down an upside or projection.

Now I'm intrigued, I was wondering what you said about Skinner in last season's draft guide?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I finally found THN's draft preview at Shopper's tonight. Had to peek behind a couple other THN's to find a copy though.

I find it hilarious that on the cover they say "who will be number one" and have Larsson, RNH, Couturier and Landeskog, but no Huberdeau.

We all know that RNH is the leader right now...but Huberdeau has as good a chance as any to crack the top 2-4. Oh THN, you funny guys.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Are any of these worth getting? I myself know a ton of prospects like majority of the people here so do you really need it, or is for different opinions?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Are any of these worth getting? I myself know a ton of prospects like majority of the people here so do you really need it, or is for different opinions?

I like them because they are different opinions and they are fun to look at the next year and down the road. Everyone sees players differently.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Now I'm intrigued, I was wondering what you said about Skinner in last season's draft guide?

His 2010 profile:

Skinner, Jeff (C) - Kitchener Rangers, OHL

The Ontario Hockey League rightly or wrongly earned a reputation for producing mid-to-late first round stars on the backs of two Drafts- 2003 and 2004- and five players: Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Mike Richards, Corey Perry and www.dobberhockey.com Rule Your Pool! Page 124 of 130 Wojtek Wolski. However, for as deep as 2005 was, it produced no real surprises. 2006 resuscitated this reputation, with Bryan Little, Chris Stewart and Nick Foligno breaking camp and making an impact relatively soon.

The following year saw no OHLers selected in the back-half of the first round, but Michael Del Zotto in '08 appears to be making up for that. Jeff Skinner is likely to be the 'next one'- the next player who dominates the OHL, fights through pre-conceptions and biases, and develops into a premier player in short time. Skinner's goal-scoring exploits and drawbacks are well-documented, but his defensive game

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks

I like them because I honestly believe that you cannot have a good read on any player unless you have seen them live on numerous occasions.
The thing you want to ensure is that the service you are buying actually sees the players live.

I see most of the kids in the WHL, AJHL, BCHL live....beyond that I am clueless as I only have a few games on tv, hilites etc. as a reference.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
re: preview

No preview yet though.

amazon.com takes a while to update the product pages. it took about 2 weeks for the "look inside" to be live last year. There is not much I can do to move them along.

A few other tidbits...

Last years 2010 NHL Draft Guide was $18.95 - price dropped in the fall to $15.95 -

This years guide (black and white) is now available on amazon.com - should be on amazon.ca sometime soon.

Color and Black & White print versions will be available this year. the color one is a bit pricey ($46.95) but that was as cheap as I could make it. We are making very little off the color version but wanted to offer a choice. I thought some players parents and draft go-ers might want color. I saw folks with our guide at the draft last year getting autographs on the players page.

The guide is up from aprox 42,000 words last year to just under 70,000 this year. We have less interviews and more reports.

I got great feedback today from Sam Cosentino, Rob Faulds and Peter Loubardias. I watched the Memorial Cup teams practice with them today. While we waited for Kootenay to arrive we sat at a table and they went through our guide. Plenty of good feedback.

Guy from "The Pipeline show" tweeted this tonight. " Still going through my advanced copy of the draft guide from @HockeyProspect, REALLY impressive. lots of info. #ImahappyGUY

If you have any questions you can contact us through our website.

cheers, Mark

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Is there anything more like about point projections, how soon he would be in the NHL and how much of an impact he would have when he got there?

We projected him to spend another year in the OHL, and put his three-year upside at 35-30-65. He's a bit ahead of that projection. :)

My personal thoughts from last summer:

From June 3rd of last summer: aside from Hall and Seguin, Jeff Skinner really intrigues me from a fantasy perspective.â€

From June 19th: “I have said this before, and I'll say it again. Whatever team drafts Jeff Skinner is going to be very, very happy. After the big two, he is the best pure goal scorer in the draft. Not big or fast, but he "gets" the game of hockey. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team trade into the top 10 to make sure they get him.â€

R S

Sep 18, 2006
amazon.com takes a while to update the product pages. it took about 2 weeks for the "look inside" to be live last year. There is not much I can do to move them along.

A few other tidbits...

Last years 2010 NHL Draft Guide was $18.95 - price dropped in the fall to $15.95 -

This years guide (black and white) is now available on amazon.com - should be on amazon.ca sometime soon.

Color and Black & White print versions will be available this year. the color one is a bit pricey ($46.95) but that was as cheap as I could make it. We are making very little off the color version but wanted to offer a choice. I thought some players parents and draft go-ers might want color. I saw folks with our guide at the draft last year getting autographs on the players page.

The guide is up from aprox 42,000 words last year to just under 70,000 this year. We have less interviews and more reports.

I got great feedback today from Sam Cosentino, Rob Faulds and Peter Loubardias. I watched the Memorial Cup teams practice with them today. While we waited for Kootenay to arrive we sat at a table and they went through our guide. Plenty of good feedback.

Guy from "The Pipeline show" tweeted this tonight. " Still going through my advanced copy of the draft guide from @HockeyProspect, REALLY impressive. lots of info. #ImahappyGUY

If you have any questions you can contact us through our website.

cheers, Mark

Bought it earlier this evening off amazon, along with the art of scouting. Looking forward to it's arrival.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
We projected him to spend another year in the OHL, and put his three-year upside at 35-30-65. He's a bit ahead of that projection. :)

From June 3rd of last summer: aside from Hall and Seguin, Jeff Skinner really intrigues me from a fantasy perspective.â€

From June 19th: “I have said this before, and I'll say it again. Whatever team drafts Jeff Skinner is going to be very, very happy. After the big two, he is the best pure goal scorer in the draft. Not big or fast, but he "gets" the game of hockey. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team trade into the top 10 to make sure they get him.â€

I was able to snag him 6th overall in my keeper last year and I know look like a genius.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007

Did you or anyone's views change at training camp, did anyone see this season coming?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Found the THN draft preview at a ''tabagie''...not sure how to properly translate it...but a place that sells tons of magazines, snacks, lottery tickets, newspapers, cigarettes, etc.

Cherko

Mar 15, 2006
Any news about the FC digital guide release date? Last time I heard, it was goin' to be released this week...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad