2011 NHL Draft Guides (ISS, McKeen's, RLR, The Hockey News, FC, Hockey Prospect)

AddMan3001

Don't poke the bear!
Sep 16, 2007
Cambridge, ON
Just got my copy of THN draft preview today as well. Every player I read just seems to punctuate the fact that this is going to be a crazy draft.

Ignoring the ups & downs that the magazine missed by coming out so early, they've got guys like Bartschi and Phillips in their top 10 while showing ISS rankings in brackets for the 2 guys in the 20's and 30's. I know things change, but I don't remember the last draft I watched closely (I've only been getting really in-depth post-lockout) that had so many massive changes from magazine to magazine & from month to month...now I'm even more excited to see where everyone ends up!

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Just got my copy of THN draft preview today as well. Every player I read just seems to punctuate the fact that this is going to be a crazy draft.

Ignoring the ups & downs that the magazine missed by coming out so early, they've got guys like Bartschi and Phillips in their top 10 while showing ISS rankings in brackets for the 2 guys in the 20's and 30's. I know things change, but I don't remember the last draft I watched closely (I've only been getting really in-depth post-lockout) that had so many massive changes from magazine to magazine & from month to month...now I'm even more excited to see where everyone ends up!

Check your PM's. :)

Madic

May 21, 2008
Wasn't there a site last year where you could digitally preview THN's guide? A couple pages or something? Interested to see where Puempel is.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
You have to remember they probably had the list made before the U18s

Thats the problem with so many of these publications and lists, they seem to move players up and down based on a few games/tournament/playoffs etc. I can see some movement, but it shouldnt be a huge jump or drop based on a small sample size. Bottom line, most scouts should have a good idea of there rankings before the u18 tournament.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Wasn't there a site last year where you could digitally preview THN's guide? A couple pages or something? Interested to see where Puempel is.
I think that would be Zinio, and I couldn't find it there yet

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Hey Folks,

We are just in the process of finishing up this years NHL Draft Guide. I'm hoping to get a proof copy in my hands later this week. If all goes well, the print version will be available on amazon a bit earlier than last year (which was May 24th ish) and we will put a digital version out as well. The print version is all black and white. I want the digital to be in colour so it may take a bit of time to convert it to my liking and finish it up.

A few things:

This years guide is bigger (8 X10) and will be aprox 210 - 220 pages. ( still finishing it up so I don't have an exact number) It will have over 200 player reports and all 7 rounds ranked. Aproz 100 players are included taking up a full page each including a photo. We got feedback from last year and have decreased the font size and will include a player index to make them easier to find. ( Four guys with our draft guide in hand flagged me down in Los Angeles last June and I promised to make that change. lol )

I will put up a full book page on our website with info (including pricing - I'm waiting on final page count) as soon as I have it proofed. As you can imagine it's not an overnight job to put this together, especially when we are still going to games on many nights. I'll be in Mississauga tomorrow night to see if the Majors can wrap up that series. Should be a good one...

If you have specific questions regarding our NHL Draft Guide, don't be shy. Best bet is probably to contact me via email : info at hockeyprospect.com

cheers,

Mark Edwards
Founder
HockeyProspect.com
Twitter @hockeyprospect

Mark--

Loved last years, will this years be available via Amazon.com again?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The THN Draft Preview is now on the zinio online news stand:
https://secure.thehockeynews.com/online-store/index.php?=&feature=THNS11DFTPV1&

I wanna pick up the physical copy of this one though so has anyone seen it lately in Canada in a Shoppers or Walmart or wherever? The first post here says it's released May 9th but it usually hits the shops before it gets online and others said it was released last week in Canada.

MajorPain

Sep 25, 2009
For about the last ten years, i have bought the Red Line Report draft guide.

If you want real and precise scouting information, like the reports of real scouts in the NHL, like the comments those scouts will do in a meeting, Red Line Report is a very good choice.

It always make me smile when some people say that Kyle Woodlief is too harsh in some of his commentaries and is off the chart with some of his rankings.

Having done that job for 4 years in junior, I can tell you that people would be very surprise to hear the scouts talk about different players in a meeting. Woodlief is just writing that down on paper.

And the rankings, well, again, a lot of variation on the list of each team. That's normal. Red Line is not different than any other team, the difference, they talk about it publicly.

So Red Line is a very good choice. It's not perfect. For example, although Kyle Woodlief is from Montréal(living now in Lake Placid), his analysis of Q players is often incomplete.

But again, the Red Line draft guide will interest you greatly.

It was 45$ US last year. Probably around the same price this year.

I agree with you and I find that it's the best out of all of them. The comments in the others are coming from people talking through their hats while the RLR's comments are coming from real scouts that know their ****.

It's the best to find hidden gems and long shots that nobody else will see. Just an example, I was able to pick Marcel Noebels in last year's draft of my Sim league with a very late 8th round pick...he didn't get picked at all in the NHL and in my Sim league. This year, he's projected to be a mid 2nd round pick.

He could end up being a bust, that's for sure, but just value wise, I just got a prospect that will leave in the 2nd round for an 8th round pick...and I've got so many examples like this as I've been using RLR for several years now...and my Sim league is into it's 11th year.

Anyways, to me, RLR is a real guide designed by professional scouts while the other guides are either filled with non sense commments based out of air...or come from ISS or THN where their ways to jugde prospects are biased (they look at cliches such as size and grit, their ratings are mostly based on performances at the WJC, which is so not representative as you have kids of different ages facing each other...with the older ones looking like hockey gods...just look at Brayden Schenn for instance).

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I agree with you and I find that it's the best out of all of them. The comments in the others are coming from people talking through their hats while the RLR's comments are coming from real scouts that know their ****.

It's the best to find hidden gems and long shots that nobody else will see. Just an example, I was able to pick Marcel Noebels in last year's draft of my Sim league with a very late 8th round pick...he didn't get picked at all in the NHL and in my Sim league. This year, he's projected to be a mid 2nd round pick.

He could end up being a bust, that's for sure, but just value wise, I just got a prospect that will leave in the 2nd round for an 8th round pick...and I've got so many examples like this as I've been using RLR for several years now...and my Sim league is into it's 11th year.

Anyways, to me, RLR is a real guide designed by professional scouts while the other guides are either filled with non sense commments based out of air...or come from ISS or THN where their ways to jugde prospects are biased (they look at cliches such as size and grit, their ratings are mostly based on performances at the WJC, which is so not representative as you have kids of different ages facing each other...with the older ones looking like hockey gods...just look at Brayden Schenn for instance).

Yeah, I'm a fan. I order it every year and always call to order so I can talk to Kyle. Spoke with him for 10 minutes this year picking his brain on all sorts of guys. He's good at admitting who they have higher than the teams. It's fun to chat with him as well, as he is pretty blunt about guys (like most pro scouts, frankly).

Similar to your drafting of Noebels, two years ago I drafted Reilly Smith, who rated 150+ in NA skaters (so realistically, a borderline guy to get drafted at all when you combined the Europeans and goalies). But redline loved him and had him as one of their sleepers who was severly under-rated. I nabbed him in the 7th round, and he ended up going in the 4th to Dallas and is now a serious bluechipper as the top scoring underclassman in the entire NCAA this season. In McKeens defence, they also had him higher rated than CSS though (115).

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
when is zinio going to get it

Ten posts up...

The THN Draft Preview is now on the zinio online news stand:
https://secure.thehockeynews.com/online-store/index.php?=&feature=THNS11DFTPV1&

I wanna pick up the physical copy of this one though so has anyone seen it lately in Canada in a Shoppers or Walmart or wherever? The first post here says it's released May 9th but it usually hits the shops before it gets online and others said it was released last week in Canada.

MartinFC

Oct 7, 2008
How long is it take to get digital copy of Future Considerations draft guide? Payment was completed, I am waiting for week now and still haven't anything on my mail. When I sent an e-mail to contact where I can turn to with issues, I got error that it wasn't executed. Thanks for help and excuse me for my terrible English...

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
How long is it take to get digital copy of Future Considerations draft guide? Payment was completed, I am waiting for week now and still haven't anything on my mail. When I sent an e-mail to contact where I can turn to with issues, I got error that it wasn't executed. Thanks for help and excuse me for my terrible English...

The FC guide only comes out in June (see OP). I did think it was a little strange when I went to order it that it doesn't actually say anything about a release date on their ordering page, just that you'd be "subscribing" (http://www.futureconsiderations.ca/order-now.php). If I hadn't checked this topic, I wouldn't have known either.

By the way, your English is fine :)

MartinFC

Oct 7, 2008
The FC guide only comes out in June (see OP). I did think it was a little strange when I went to order it that it doesn't actually say anything about a release date on their ordering page, just that you'd be "subscribing" (http://www.futureconsiderations.ca/order-now.php). If I hadn't checked this topic, I wouldn't have known either.

By the way, your English is fine :)

Oh well, my fault. Thank you very much:)

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Expect ours in the last week of May the way things are going. We're dead on schedule so we may even end up early, but I'm predicting FC's 2011 NHL Entry Draft Guide finds your inbox late in the week of the 23rd!

EDIT: Oh, the contact email address is back up. We switched servers the last two days! Everything is back up and ready to go!

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I have to say, in reviewing the THN draft guide, I just shake my head that they publish this thing before the U18's. Every year they get burned by this and when you look at the guide historically, there are glaring omissions in their top 100.

Still an intereting read, and I give them credit for some rankings, but it just hurts the final product, given they should be final rankings. Same for CSS, of course, but doesn't make it right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad