2011 NHL Draft Guides (ISS, McKeen's, RLR, The Hockey News, FC, Hockey Prospect)

King RAZZ

Los Cucarachas
Apr 26, 2007
The Roach Motel
razzilla.multiply.com
Habsfan18, I think you should remove McKeen's from the list of available 2011 NHL Entry Draft Guides.

Late this afternoon, I received an e-mail from PayPal informing me that McKeen's has sent me a full refund of $25. The note from the merchant is: Due to circumstances beyond our control we will not be publishing the McKeen's Draft Guide this year. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your support. Cheers, Ron Jones

I also got one...and this would have been my first experience with them had this not happened...

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Me too..disappointed as their guide has good content...looked into getting ISS but $60??? Are you kidding me? Sounds like there is quite a bit of content but 60 smackers is steep....
I may consider Red Line for $45...

Is it a good quality print? I keep mine or future reference.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Habsfan18, I think you should remove McKeen's from the list of available 2011 NHL Entry Draft Guides.

Late this afternoon, I received an e-mail from PayPal informing me that McKeen's has sent me a full refund of $25. The note from the merchant is: Due to circumstances beyond our control we will not be publishing the McKeen's Draft Guide this year. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your support. Cheers, Ron Jones

Whaat? Horrible news...

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
I don't really know how to judge whether it is good quality print or not, but I can tell you I still have all of my Red Line Report Draft Guides, and it dates back to 2006.

Perhaps this question might be better answered by Cooperman since he's been ordering RLR for over a decade.

My advice for you is, be a judge of a product yourself. All of us posting in this thread are for the most part posting information based on our own personal preferences. If you don't take what is being said with a grain of salt, you could be missing out on a product that's right for you.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

Thanks Canadian. I updated the original post.

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Me too..disappointed as their guide has good content...looked into getting ISS but $60??? Are you kidding me? Sounds like there is quite a bit of content but 60 smackers is steep....
I may consider Red Line for $45...

Strictly my opinion, by Red Line has always been my favorite since I started ordering it 5 years ago. I did ISS one year and wasn't overly impressed. With McKeens not doing a guide this year, I'd definitely recommend Red Line over ISS.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Nothing against the others as many are likely good....

the good thing about RLR :
- they have seen all the players live
- they issue a report every month
- the report includes rankings and comments on the players
- they don't just rank the top 10, top 50 etc. they rank 300 + players
- they pay zero attention to other services...ie they are not swayed

I have never bought any other services "draft guides".
The reason I haven't is that I have emailed many of them and asked them if they have a person covering the BCHL, AJHL, WHL etc. ....if so who is that person?
They did not respond.

Having said this I know one of the Mckeens guys that scouts the west and he works his butt off, knows hockey etc.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
The reason I haven't is that I have emailed many of them and asked them if they have a person covering the BCHL, AJHL, WHL etc. ....if so who is that person?
They did not respond.

I'll take offense to this portion of your comment, only because I cant say we've heard from you on this particular request outside of a message on this board inquiring about 'who we were', in which you seemed satisfied with the response.

That said, I can understand why other organizations didn't respond given the nature of your request.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
I'll take offense to this portion of your comment, only because I cant say we've heard from you on this particular request outside of a message on this board inquiring about 'who we were', in which you seemed satisfied with the response.

That said, I can understand why other organizations didn't respond given the nature of your request.

Well you shouldn't because as you have stated this issue was put to bed.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
And I'm on the bus/train/metro for about 3 hours a day in my commute. A magazine travels a hell of a lot better than a stack of papers with a staple in it.
You can always have it bounded. That's what I did with my RLR, FC, and ISS.

With that said, I always go with print version if it's offered. The only exception is ISS. I ordered the print version one year and never got it. NEVER AGAIN!

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
I'll get the Hockey news as it's the first one out and I'll be chomping at the bit to get one. I've also ordered Future considerations which is an electronic version and now that McKeens has returned my cash, I've taken advice here and ordered Red Line Report.

Is Red Line digital or a hard copy?

AddMan3001

Don't poke the bear!
Sep 16, 2007
Cambridge, ON
I'll be getting Future Considerations, as I do every year now it seems, but I also like to pickup a second one as well. THN just seems like horrible fluff for the top guys, and I got ISS last year (digital version) and while it was good I just don't think it was $60.00 good..plus for that money I'd want a hard copy, which I've only heard bad things about actually getting from ISS.

Think I'm going with FC & RLR this year then, pretty much by process of elimination with McKeen's not doing a guide this year.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
What about the hockeyprospect.com guide this year? I gather it's already out, so has anyone got it?

I bought it last year and I tohugh it was good and also at a very low price. Not impressive in layout, but a good read

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
What about the hockeyprospect.com guide this year? I gather it's already out, so has anyone got it?

I bought it last year and I tohugh it was good and also at a very low price. Not impressive in layout, but a good read

As far as I know Hockeyprospect.com will release their draft guide in May.

They have already published a paperback called '2011 NHL Draft Prospects', which includes a lot of prospect interviews.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
216142_10150218788275972_121876660971_8345110_5045519_n.jpg

I've just been informed that the THN guide will be mailed to subscribers on April 27th.

Last edited:

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Very excited. Zinio gave me a $5 loyalty credit and I'm gonna use it on that when it comes out.

Very excited.

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad