2011 NHL Draft Guides (ISS, McKeen's, RLR, The Hockey News, FC, Hockey Prospect)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
216142_10150218788275972_121876660971_8345110_5045519_n.jpg

I've just been informed that the THN guide will be mailed to subscribers on April 27th.

I think one of the main problems coming out so early with the mag is many things could change over the coarse of the playoffs/tournaments. Coming out with the mag now will sort of miss something like Skinner's stock rising to a top 10 pick candidate

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I think one of the main problems coming out so early with the mag is many things could change over the coarse of the playoffs/tournaments. Coming out with the mag now will sort of miss something like Skinner's stock rising to a top 10 pick candidate

You'd think that after ranking Skinner at 25 they'd wait a bit... you have a good point here.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
THN sells a ton of these simply because they are usually the first released. They get widespread distribution in bookstores all across the US and being early, allows this mag to occupy shelf space for an extended period of time.

I think this mag is maybe a bit more for the "every-day" fan curious about the prospects and more hard core guys (like those of us crawling these boards all year long) taje this for what it's worth but also buy something a bit more "serious" like ISS, FC McKeens, or Red Line (and most buy multiple)

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
Does anyone know if these usually go down on price later on? Like after the draft?

And does anyone know how much THN's draft guide will cost in stores?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
^ Oh the THN one is cheap, that's why I buy their future watch and draft preview. Future Watch used to be $4.99 CDN I think, they bumped it up to $5.99 and the draft preview one is around the same.

So if you aren't into hardcore prospect info, I'd go with the THN one rather than $20 or $40+ on the other ones. It's nice to collect THN's and just look back at them several years from now. There's way too much info on each of these prospects nowadays with all the message boards and prospect related websited to really justify paying above $20 for someone who follows the NHL a lot more than junior leagues. I don't really care about the prospects beyond the 3rd round outside of who my team takes tbh so wouldn't expect the magazine to cover beyond the 3rd round either.

Last edited:

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
We've just launched our 2011 NHL Entry Draft Centre for those that want to take a gander. Visit it over at www.futureconsiderations.ca. It is done in HTML5 so some may need to update browsers for it to be 100% effective. Site loves Firefox4 and Chrome. It's not a big fan of Safari unless you have the latest updates.

I should note it is done by the same crew tackling our draft guide design so expect even more out of FC than you're used to!

Last edited:

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
2011 NHL Draft Guide

Hey Folks,

We are just in the process of finishing up this years NHL Draft Guide. I'm hoping to get a proof copy in my hands later this week. If all goes well, the print version will be available on amazon a bit earlier than last year (which was May 24th ish) and we will put a digital version out as well. The print version is all black and white. I want the digital to be in colour so it may take a bit of time to convert it to my liking and finish it up.

A few things:

This years guide is bigger (8 X10) and will be aprox 210 - 220 pages. ( still finishing it up so I don't have an exact number) It will have over 200 player reports and all 7 rounds ranked. Aproz 100 players are included taking up a full page each including a photo. We got feedback from last year and have decreased the font size and will include a player index to make them easier to find. ( Four guys with our draft guide in hand flagged me down in Los Angeles last June and I promised to make that change. lol )

I will put up a full book page on our website with info (including pricing - I'm waiting on final page count) as soon as I have it proofed. As you can imagine it's not an overnight job to put this together, especially when we are still going to games on many nights. I'll be in Mississauga tomorrow night to see if the Majors can wrap up that series. Should be a good one...

If you have specific questions regarding our NHL Draft Guide, don't be shy. Best bet is probably to contact me via email : info at hockeyprospect.com

cheers,

Mark Edwards
Founder
HockeyProspect.com
Twitter @hockeyprospect

MitchRobichaud

Jun 6, 2007
Halifax
www.hockeysense.ca
Hockeysfuture readers,

Hockeysense is working on the development of our first magazine which will focus on the 2011 NHL draft. Set to come out late May/early June, we will cover the CHL draft eligible players intensively. As of right now, we plan on having the top 100 players from the CHL ranked with most of these players having been seen on multiple occasions at different times in the season.

Our hard working group of scouts are all Sports Management Worldwide graduates of the Hockey GM and Scouting course and together with their already great knowledge of the sport will formulate in depth scouting reports on all 2011 NHL draft eligible CHL prospects viewed.

In the magazine, we will also post our mock draft as well as have 2012 preview of the top CHL prospects.

For more information on price, on the company, or any other matter, e-mail us at [email protected]

Follow us on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/hockeysense, and on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/hockeysense_ca, or visit our site http://www.hockeysense.ca for the latest information on the CHL, hockey news and notes, and information on the release of our magazine.

Best Regards,

Mitch Robichaud
Owner/Editor
Hockeysense Publishing

Edit: Forgot to add that the magazine will only be available as a digital copy. I will work on getting a print version of the magazine in the future as I know a lot of fans do enjoy it. Thanks

Last edited:

F127

Feb 10, 2007
Hockeysfuture readers,

Hockeysense is working on the development of our first magazine which will focus on the 2011 NHL draft. Set to come out late May/early June, we will cover the CHL draft eligible players intensively. As of right now, we plan on having the top 100 players from the CHL ranked with most of these players having been seen on multiple occasions at different times in the season.

Our hard working group of scouts are all Sports Management Worldwide graduates of the Hockey GM and Scouting course and together with their already great knowledge of the sport will formulate in depth scouting reports on all 2011 NHL draft eligible CHL prospects viewed.

In the magazine, we will also post our mock draft as well as have 2012 preview of the top CHL prospects.

For more information on price, on the company, or any other matter, e-mail us at [email protected]

Follow us on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/hockeysense, and on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/hockeysense_ca, or visit our site http://www.hockeysense.ca for the latest information on the CHL, hockey news and notes, and information on the release of our magazine.

Best Regards,

Mitch Robichaud
Owner/Editor
Hockeysense Publishing

Edit: Forgot to add that the magazine will only be available as a digital copy. I will work on getting a print version of the magazine in the future as I know a lot of fans do enjoy it. Thanks

Not trying to give you a tough time but after looking at your website and reading your experience level as a entire scouting team and the fact that your focus is going to be mostly on the CHL I would suggest doing a free draft guide for this year and possibly next year to try and encourage a strong following first then if the feedback is good and the following is strong start to offer a cheap guide. Good luck going forward though.

F127

Feb 10, 2007
Hey Folks,

We are just in the process of finishing up this years NHL Draft Guide. I'm hoping to get a proof copy in my hands later this week. If all goes well, the print version will be available on amazon a bit earlier than last year (which was May 24th ish) and we will put a digital version out as well. The print version is all black and white. I want the digital to be in colour so it may take a bit of time to convert it to my liking and finish it up.

A few things:

This years guide is bigger (8 X10) and will be aprox 210 - 220 pages. ( still finishing it up so I don't have an exact number) It will have over 200 player reports and all 7 rounds ranked. Aproz 100 players are included taking up a full page each including a photo. We got feedback from last year and have decreased the font size and will include a player index to make them easier to find. ( Four guys with our draft guide in hand flagged me down in Los Angeles last June and I promised to make that change. lol )

I will put up a full book page on our website with info (including pricing - I'm waiting on final page count) as soon as I have it proofed. As you can imagine it's not an overnight job to put this together, especially when we are still going to games on many nights. I'll be in Mississauga tomorrow night to see if the Majors can wrap up that series. Should be a good one...

If you have specific questions regarding our NHL Draft Guide, don't be shy. Best bet is probably to contact me via email : info at hockeyprospect.com

cheers,

Mark Edwards
Founder
HockeyProspect.com
Twitter @hockeyprospect

Last years guide wasn't too bad, the smaller text will help and I think you could omit the interviews. Maybe just incorporate some of the better parts of the interviews into the player profile write ups.

MitchRobichaud

Jun 6, 2007
Halifax
www.hockeysense.ca
Not trying to give you a tough time but after looking at your website and reading your experience level as a entire scouting team and the fact that your focus is going to be mostly on the CHL I would suggest doing a free draft guide for this year and possibly next year to try and encourage a strong following first then if the feedback is good and the following is strong start to offer a cheap guide. Good luck going forward though.

Thanks for the input. I did consider doing a free draft guide, but we feel that with the man hours put into the scouting process, design work, and editing, a free magazine would be tough to produce. The true hockey fan who gives our magazine a try will see the devotion and depth that we provide.

This years draft issue will be free for anyone wanting to purchase a subscription for next season (4 magazines, plus this years draft issue) though. There will be more information in the coming weeks and we certainly do value the input from everyone as we try to succeed at building a magazine every hockey fan will enjoy. (whether they agree with the rankings or not) :)

Cheers

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Aaron, what am I doing wrong here......I click on "Visit FC's 2011 NHL Entry Draft Centre Now! " and it brings me to a video feature/interview with Schenn.

thanks

cenas*

Thanks for the input. I did consider doing a free draft guide, but we feel that with the man hours put into the scouting process, design work, and editing, a free magazine would be tough to produce. The true hockey fan who gives our magazine a try will see the devotion and depth that we provide.

This years draft issue will be free for anyone wanting to purchase a subscription for next season (4 magazines, plus this years draft issue) though. There will be more information in the coming weeks and we certainly do value the input from everyone as we try to succeed at building a magazine every hockey fan will enjoy. (whether they agree with the rankings or not) :)

Cheers

As a Finn I noticed a distinct lack of Joel Armia in the top 30 players. Is this based on facts or more on NA bias (as in which league a prospect plays)?.

MitchRobichaud

Jun 6, 2007
Halifax
www.hockeysense.ca
As a Finn I noticed a distinct lack of Joel Armia in the top 30 players. Is this based on facts or more on NA bias (as in which league a prospect plays)?.

We are focused on ranking CHL players this year as those are the prospects we get to watch and we don't believe in using speculation from others to assess talent. We will incorporate Europeans, Russians, Americans, and other nationalities in our Mock Draft which will be included in the magazine.

The mock draft of course will not be an actual ranking, but where we see the prospects going in the draft and will be done for fun.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010

Cheers

How much is the magazine subscription?

MitchRobichaud

Jun 6, 2007
Halifax
www.hockeysense.ca
How much is the magazine subscription?

$34.95 CDN will get you this June's draft preview and the 4 magazines from next year which includes one in September (season preview), December (Season Updates, Top 50 NHL prospects and a preview of the WJC), March (Season Updates and organizational rankings) and then the 2012 draft preview.

We will also have a 3 year subscription available for $89.95 - $94.95 and a dollar from every magazine sold will go towards a kids hockey charity.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Helps if I use the link to the draft centre and not the link to our YouTube page. It's been updated now.

ok....keeping in mind I am stund re computer tech stuff...... I still can't get it.

Takes me to an article on Ryan Murray......further below that is an article re launching of draft centre....I click on that and it says "sorry no posts matched your criteria."

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Got my THN Draft Preview issue in the mail today!

Regular THN reports on the top 60. But this year they added little blurbs on prospects 61-100 for the first time. Very small, but still..

Top 10:

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Adam Larsson
3. Gabriel Landeskog
4. Sean Couturier
5. Jonathan Huberdeau
6. Ryan Strome
7. Ryan Murphy
8. Sven Bartschi
9. Zack Phillips
10. Dougie Hamilton

Biggest surprises for me personally:

9. Zack Phillips
33. Ty Rattie
41. Mark Scheifele

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada

I don't mind the timing. It could wait a couple weeks but the general time is okay. What I have a problem with is them releasing "Future Watch" in late Feb/March. Why don't they release it before the season starts or after the draft? The rankings have little use, especially for poolies looking to next season because they change quickly with the draft so why not include those kids in an August/September release? And a bunch of other players on Future Watch have graduated. But the biggest problem is that the AHL/NHL seasons aren't even close to over so those prospects have huge room for change even before the season ends. In Draft Preview, most of the seasons are or are nearly over but in Future Watch, the list is barely past mid-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->