GDT: 2011 Draft Day Thread

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
That's surprising, have read a lot of good things about him.

Plus, we get to see lacrosse goals :D

You may be thinking of his more talented brother Mikael Granlund who went 9th overall to minnesota last year and scored that lacrosse goal??

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I like how Calgary is drafting at the time. Players who has high end talent but higher bust but Calgary need high end talent more than anything and Markus Granlund has it. He has same offensive toolbox than Mikael Granlund theyre pretty par offensively but Mikael has much better decision making, his 2 way game is pure gold and he is mentally very strong. Can't say same about Markus. Markus will most likely play against men next season and it will be huge for is career. If Markus achieves his potential and play smart game as his brother he could be very good, future 1st 2nd liner for Calgary. High-end = PPG player in NHL with ok 2way game otherwise bust.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Nikita Filatov was acquired by the Senators for a 3rd round pick. I would have rather of taken a chance on him with that 2nd round pick instead of sending it to Buffalo.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
We just drafted a 5'6 player NOT named Grimaldi lol....

R4/104 John Gaudreau, LW
2010-11 Stats
HT WT Team GP G A Pts PIM +/-
5-6 137 Dubuque (USHL) 60 36 36 72 36 21

JorgeRocks!

May 31, 2006
Bit of a change from the Sutter years...USHL rookie of the year, 2nd in the league in goals, but 137 POUNDS1

Steven

May 10, 2009
Bit of a change from the Sutter years...USHL rookie of the year, 2nd in the league in goals, but 137 POUNDS1

No kidding. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. Feaster is serious about going after skill and skill only. 137lbs though? Holy **** lol

Steven

May 10, 2009
Another pick coming up here. I've got my money on a smallish defenceman, with a more offensive upside.

Steven

May 10, 2009
His Dad went to high school with my wife. Good kid from a good family. Better goalie than his numbers indicate.

Good to hear. I don't really follow WHL hockey that close, so I wasn't really sure. By the sounds of it The Oil Kings have some higher expectations for next season, and they're confident Brossoit is the guy who they want in net to accomplish what they want to.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Here's my report on two players from the WHL for you guys.

#4 Sven Bartschi – FW – Portland Winterhawks

- Bartschi does a little bit of everything, but his best skills are offensive. He’s only 5’10 but he’s not afraid to get greasy to score. When he gets in those prime scoring areas, he’s got a killer shot with a dynamite release. As WHL rookie of the year this season, the 18 year old Swiss sniper scored 34 goals and added 10 more in the playoffs. He’s also a committed defensive player as a winger and had no problem being the first forward on the backcheck on a regular basis. His skating is good, but not elite and I think that’s an area that will need some improvement if he wants to carry his offense to the next level into pro hockey. Size is also a concern but he does enough things well to make up for it. With his array of tools, he is a guy that should be able to slot into an NHL clubs top 6 on the wing.

NHL comparable: Jeff Skinner

Top end potential: Top 6 winger

Pick prediction: Top 20

#22 Tyler Wotherspoon – D – Portland Winterhawks

- Wotherspoon might be one of the better defensive defenseman to come out of the WHL this year. He thinks the game well, is good in coverage and can punish people physically. His biggest flaws are his skating, where he needs a ton of work to grow and one day become a regular at the next level. He is an ok puck mover for someone with his role as he can start a breakout by making a good first pass. His game will never revolve around his offense, but for a team looking to add depth and toughness to their future blueline, this guy is worth a grab.

NHL comparable: Craig Rivet

Top end potential: Bottom pairing blueliner

Pick prediction: 3rd round

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I think Bartschi was a good pick, a little smaller than I would like but he has the talent to make up for it. Hopefully he will be our top line LW in a few years.

CalgaryFlames1266

#timerixonwho?
Apr 11, 2011
Calgary
I think Bartschi was a good pick, a little smaller than I would like but he has the talent to make up for it. Hopefully he will be our top line LW in a few years.
Tangs might still be there but Bartschi will be number 2 till Tangs is gone. Unless Iggy is gonna play on line 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad