2011 CHL Import Draft

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I wonder where Sondre Olden goes.

Guessing 7 (Sault St. Marie), 10 (Sudbury) or 13 (Belleville).

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Well, that's the whole military commitment nonsense, isn't it?

Nah, that aint really a problem. Dont think there's been too much finns been in CHL anyway so not much of a big sample to analyze. I think that comment would fit better for ppl who're going AHL but are not good enough/committed enough so they will come back.

MaNNe

Sep 27, 2009
Finland

Nope, you don't have to do it til you are 26 I think, if you have a good reason not to and playing hockey in Canada definetly is a good reason. It's a good excuse tho =P.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Nope, you don't have to do it til you are 26 I think, if you have a good reason not to and playing hockey in Canada definetly is a good reason. It's a good excuse tho =P.

Yeah, but you aren't going to leave the NHL for a year to do a military commitment. You kind of HAVE to do it at a young age if you're an NHL prospect.

I know Hartikainen and Rajala both had to fulfill the obligation.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010

Actually not. If they don't want to go to military they can refuse and army will let them go. And if want to military they can postpone it, like Mikko Koivu is currently in military :)

They go back after one season because "military service" but the real reason is they sucked and homesickness

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009

It can be done later, like Mikko Koivu who is doing it right now along with Granlund. I think that if you're a good enough prospect/NHL-player playing in NA, you could basically be let free of that commitment... Olli Jokinen never finished his, he left the military because he got signed by LA and never completed it during summers etc. No big deal, IMO.

Any other Finns to be possibly picked today?

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Yeah, but you aren't going to leave the NHL for a year to do a military commitment. You kind of HAVE to do it at a young age if you're an NHL prospect.

I know Hartikainen and Rajala both had to fulfill the obligation.

It's not the problem he can do it in a couple months like Mikko Koivu has done.

Latex*

The time in the military for hockey players is mostly spent... Playing hockey with other prospects.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Broncon pick Soberg. It'll be interesting to see how he does. It must be quite a environment change to go from the Norwegian league to Major Junior. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad