GDT: 2010 Spengler Cup Champions: SKA St. Petersburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Why are they having the semis this way? Normally, the #2 from one division would play the #1 from the other division in the semis, the way it is now, if both the top 2 teams are in the same division they won't play in the final because they have to play in the semis which is kind of stupid

Normally it like it is in the World Juniors

1A vs. 2B/3A
1B vs. 2A/3B

instead it's

1A vs. 2A/3B
1B vs. 2B/3A

Any particular reason why

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, I also think that's quite strange and also stupid. I couldn't find a good reason to do the schedule like this. :(

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Just found out that Servette - St Petersburg is on Eurosport. Stupid me, game is almost over.

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
SKA St Petersburg won 4:3 in OT after falling behind 0:3 in the game.
Anton But with the goal.

Johan Fransson voted SKA's player of the game.

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
Paul Savary is very good. I remember not so long ago, he was playing on the 3rd-4th line and had a minor role. Now, he's a force on the team and plays top minutes. He's also become a permanent player on the swiss national team.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
SKA St Petersburg won 4:3 in OT after falling behind 0:3 in the game.
Anton But with the goal.

Johan Fransson voted SKA's player of the game.

How did Stepanek preform in goal? All I know is that Sokolov was pulled after the 3rd goal and our young boy went in and did´nt let anybody beat him:handclap: But more info about his performance would be nice.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Canada wins and moves onto face St. Petersburg in the championship game tomorrow. Yes, that's the team with Alexei Yashin and Mattias Weidendal.

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
I kinda wish the Spengler was during a different time of year. I think I'd pay more attention if I wasn't so focused on the World Juniors and the NHL.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
How did Stepanek preform in goal? All I know is that Sokolov was pulled after the 3rd goal and our young boy went in and did´nt let anybody beat him:handclap: But more info about his performance would be nice.

i think the play-by-play guy was saying his glove hand was weak

so everybody started shooting high glove

and he also did a couple scrambling saves. and not your modern positional goaltending
but i guess that comes with his size frame, like Timmy Thomas

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
ok the final has started
Damn, SKA is stacked compared to Canada... I mean, look at the players; Alexei Yashin, Johan Fransson, Denis Grebeshkov, Vitaly Vishnevskiy, Maxim Afinogenov, Evgeny Artyukhin, Maxim Sushinskiy, Mattias Weinhandl, and Petr Cajanek. And those are just the ones many North American's would know.

Canada is playing their 6th game in 6 straight days.. Deslauriers has started them all. :amazed:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Interesting way to "swede" Weinhandl's name :)
Haha, I'm Canadian.. cut me some slack. :P

Is Cajanek's name really spelt Chaynek over there? I couldn't find it in the Eurohockey.net or whatever that site is.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Haha, I'm Canadian.. cut me some slack. :P

Is Cajanek's name really spelt Chaynek over there? I couldn't find it in the Eurohockey.net or whatever that site is.

The butchering of Čajáneks spelling was due to the cyrillic alphabet on his russian team's site. Chaynek is closer to how the name is pronounced.

Petr Čajánek -> Петр Чаянек -> Petr/Peter Chaynek

If Čajánek was russian (with a czech-origin name), his name would've probably been transcribed as Chaynek all the time. But in the Czech Republic they use the latin alphabet with some additions.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Its funny that JDD is argueably our backup in Oklamhoma City yet starter for Canada. However, I dont normally find myself watching this tourney.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The butchering of Čajáneks spelling was due to the cyrillic alphabet on his russian team's site. Chaynek is closer to how the name is pronounced.

Petr Čajánek -> Петр Чаянек -> Petr/Peter Chaynek

If Čajánek was russian (with a czech-origin name), his name would've probably been transcribed as Chaynek all the time. But in the Czech Republic they use the latin alphabet with some additions.
Thanks man. Very helpful.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Its funny that JDD is argueably our backup in Oklamhoma City yet starter for Canada. However, I dont normally find myself watching this tourney.
He's played very, very well so far. But this is by far the most talented team they've played - and way better than any AHL club. So hopefully he can pull something out.

We're down 1-0, but we've got a 5 on 3.

It's going to be hard though, especially with two of our better players out of the tournament (injury) in Mark Bell & Serge Aubin.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Nice chance for Micki Dupont, but nice save by the SKA goalie (Stepanek, I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad