Post-Game Talk: 2008 Southeast Division CHAMPS @ Nate Drug & Gerry G 10:07pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Lmao blaming a guy for a shot that was deflected. Really. And you would know.
How would you possibly have any idea whether or not i would know?

Where shot is deflected makes a difference. A shot deflected 70 feet away from goalie is different from one deflected five feet away.

I’m curious what Holtby himself thought. Whether it was indeed “one he wanted back.”

Either way, even if none of the 10 are his fault, 10 goals in two games suggests he might benefit from a night off. If for no other reason than to re-set mentally.

EDIT: Actually, now that I re-read the whole thing, i realize I said “2nd goal,“ when I meant ”3rd goal.” So if that’s the one you are talking about – Bellemare deflection — than yes, that’s an unstoppable deflection. I was talking about the 4th goal (schmidt) and the one before it (in which rebound went to Eakin for easy tap-in).

Last edited:
Reactions: RandyHolt

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
First, the shot was well inside the blue line...and Holtby had come out to challenge.When I originally saw the play, the puck seemed to squib and sink off a deflection with Nisky' stick.
Secondly, Nisky commits the cardinal sin of giving Schmidt the center shooting lane. "bad...bad...bad.."
Thirdly, the bulk of the blame, say 80%, rests with Dowd for taking an absurd penalty. dumb...dumb..dumb...as in
peeweee-hockey bad execution on his part.

As for the hit on Wilson. If he's 'using' his chinstrap, and apparently he wasnt, I think its just a hard hit. I'm not
even sure its late-if so, only barely. The ice itself appears to have done the majority of the damage, but we shall see. I still don't pretend to know the Leagues criteria for these matters, perhaps they will 'evolve' again. I'll be surprised if there's a suspension, but it wouldnt be the first time Ive been surprised by a DOPS decision.
NHL has clearly dictated by the suspension to that Panther’s dman that hitting/slamming someone in a way that causes the other player’s head to bounce off the ice is punishable. You don’t even need to go that far because it is a late hit that caused a head injury.

Like you said though, Kunitz was not suspended for his mile high elbow on Hamonic the other day so who f***ing knows.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It would be very interesting to see if Reaves would get suspended if he didn't make his post game comments.

The post game comments almost make them have to, me thinks. Well, I guess it depends on how much publicity the comments get. We all know those west coast games, one is likely to get away with crimes, while the east coast sleeps.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
How would you possibly have any idea whether or not i would know?

Where shot is deflected makes a difference. A shot deflected 70 feet away from goalie is different from one deflected five feet away.

I’m curious what Holtby himself thought. Whether it was indeed “one he wanted back.”

Either way, even if none of the 10 are his fault, 10 goals in two games suggests he might benefit from a night off. If for no other reason than to re-set mentally.

EDIT: Actually, now that I re-read the whole thing, i realize I said “2nd goal,“ when I meant ”3rd goal.” So if that’s the one you are talking about – Bellemare deflection — than yes, that’s an unstoppable deflection. I was talking about the 4th goal (schmidt) and the one before it (in which rebound went to Eakin for easy tap-in).
I know exactly what goal you were talking about and I also know that any shot that is deflected can be a difficult save for a goalie. Sometimes you can't pick up the puck immediately after a deflection.
The majority of saves that goalies make on deflections are positional saves and the puck just hits them. In fact if you slow those plays down you will find that the goalie doesnt even react until the puck until the puck has hit him.
For some reason you seem to think it is so easy. Well it isnt.

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
The most ridiculous (and most common) things I've seen in conversations concerning the Reeves hit

1 that somehow *Wilson* is the one who needs to learn a lesson from this hit. ( i mean he does: tighten that chin strap)

2 Amnesia over his 20 game suspension/thinking the league is "letting him get away with it" (so the players have to take care of him).

3 Reeves was somehow avenging the players Tom has hit or will hit, instead of acting like a clown with his own vendetta and motivation.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder if Reaves playing supergoon was related to Willy taking out their punk scorer in the finals. Or, if he thinks its his ticket to stardom, being the hero to save the world from Tom Wilson.

What a mess this Willy thing is. You cannot make this stuff up, not even in the era of goons galore, and crimes committed that are a rarity today. He is a super villian in the eyes of most. Suspended 20 games, comes back and immediately gets a penalty on a goal scored, goes on a goal scoring streak, decks Weenie after trying to get out of his way, and then gets decked with Reaves going into his way.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
For some reason you seem to think it is so easy. Well it isnt.
I defy you to find a single word or sentence suggesting i thought it was ‘so easy.’ Goalies would not get millions of dollars per year if any of this were ‘so easy.’ I grant, a priori, that none of this is ‘so easy.’

Instead, i was doing the same thing which 99% of us, including you, do during a game, which is to point out, after negative outcomes, which players contributed to the outcome.

In this case, certainly forwards could have done better job disrupting 88 speed through neutral zone, and certainly Niskanen could have stepped up earlier to force either the shot, or a dump-in, or an attempted dangle, and yes, certainly Holtby could have made the glove save.

I am not saying Holtby was 100% at fault. I was suggesting it was a stoppable puck. Which obviously you disagree with. No worries. We both want Caps to win, and for Wilson to get healthy, etc.

Have a good day. I didn’t mean to get us sidetracked.

Reactions: 895 and VaCaps Fan

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
I wonder if Reaves playing supergoon was related to Willy taking out their punk scorer in the finals. Or, if he thinks its his ticket to stardom, being the hero to save the world from Tom Wilson.

What a mess this Willy thing is. You cannot make this stuff up, not even in the era of goons galore, and crimes committed that are a rarity today. He is a super villian in the eyes of most. Suspended 20 games, comes back and immediately gets a penalty on a goal scored, goes on a goal scoring streak, decks Weenie after trying to get out of his way, and then gets decked with Reaves going into his way.
The National bettman league used GMGM’s goon as a Mafia “hit” to get Willy.

Reactions: RandyHolt

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I get the no suspension for Reaves and I am OK with that. But the Kuzy one is baffling. It was direct and intentional head contact that resulted in an injury. I have no idea how that is not a multi-game suspension.
It’s an illegal hit that directly leads to head trauma. I would really love to hear the lack of reasoning how that isn’t a play that gets a suspension. I would really love the Caps pull players from the ice or something along those lines because this is getting ridiculous. Oshie has taken 2, Kuzy and Wilson taken 1 each within about a month now and a single fine is completely unacceptable.

The helmet stuff is so funny. Yeah, a shell that covers the top half is really going to do a lot for a chin first face plant.

Last edited:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I get the no suspension for Reaves and I am OK with that. But the Kuzy one is baffling. It was direct and intentional head contact that resulted in an injury. I have no idea how that is not a multi-game suspension.
I have no idea how you can take runs at the other team's 1st liner all game, finally injure him on an illegal hit and get away with no suspension. Especially in the league where you can suspend players for basically missed minors if you want.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I defy you to find a single word or sentence suggesting i thought it was ‘so easy.’ Goalies would not get millions of dollars per year if any of this were ‘so easy.’ I grant, a priori, that none of this is ‘so easy.’

Instead, i was doing the same thing which 99% of us, including you, do during a game, which is to point out, after negative outcomes, which players contributed to the outcome.

In this case, certainly forwards could have done better job disrupting 88 speed through neutral zone, and certainly Niskanen could have stepped up earlier to force either the shot, or a dump-in, or an attempted dangle, and yes, certainly Holtby could have made the glove save.

I am not saying Holtby was 100% at fault. I was suggesting it was a stoppable puck. Which obviously you disagree with. No worries. We both want Caps to win, and for Wilson to get healthy, etc.

Have a good day. I didn’t mean to get us sidetracked.

You don’t spit out Maaco-bait! You set that hook and battle the beast! ;)

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
The Capitals have suffered 4 of these including Kempny this season. I wonder how many is enough?

Its only 27 games. A top 4 defenseman and 3 of the team's top 6 forwards.
5, Oshie has taken 2.

You know the damn refs at some point were aware of his verbal and or physical actions and they don’t call a Match Penalty? He litterally verbalized his intentions. Not to mention the comments afterwords. Lion? No, you’re a fat f*** that doesn’t care enough to be in better shape. You’re not 6’ and over 225lbs without being some super low body fat % or carrying an extra 25 pounds. Not hard to find a couple pictures of the stomach matching the double chin.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I can't be too angry about the Reaves' hit. There is no way around it, it's a play that Wilson himself makes all the time. There is no head contact. It was penalized properly.

I feel that the degree of force delivered to a completely unsuspecting player was unnecessary. I feel that way after some of Wilson's hits, too.

I am pretty upset about Holtby ********* the bed after the guys battled back and evened up the game. I rarely get properly upset after a loss but I was fuming last night. Catch the ********** puck, dude.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I have no idea how you can take runs at the other team's 1st liner all game, finally injure him on an illegal hit and get away with no suspension. Especially in the league where you can suspend players for basically missed minors if you want.

I mean he toe’d the line and hurt Wilson on a play just barely illegal. The exact same thing Willy does. I’m surprised he was caught unaware myself. Almost never see Ovy caught at a disadvantage like that. As he’s aged a little more....maybe few times...

Willy will learn from this. Should have just beat the guy’s ass early and been done with it. I suspect next time there will be fireworks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad