Status
Not open for further replies.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Hi folks,

I know I do not visit here often, but as I’ve mentioned before, I appreciate the message that most of you try your best to deliver.

You are Canucks fans as much as anyone and want to see the Front Office changed to a Competent Team. I’ll extend this to some of you wanting a Coaching change as well, but I haven’t followed closely enough to know if this is the majority.

Recently we’re hearing rumblings of ownership changes within the Family. I have no idea if this is true or just rumour.

What I can speak to is how I’m feeling right now and that I’m thinking this is the one place that I can safely share.

The Game tonight in one way was fun as I was excited when I thought Eddy scored his 100th. As we all know, it was BB6’s:(.

The comeback of course was bittersweet, as winning is in my DNA, but I know it hurts the Team in the big picture.

However, what I found was my biggest ‘trigger’ tonight in the GDT, was how some members just do not seem to ‘get it’ when they say they’re so excited for next season when they see efforts like tonight. Or they tell the tankers to get out if they’re not going to cheer for the team like a real fan.
Thing is, the one in particular saying this, questions the captains leadership, takes it back, then criticizes him again a few games later and it pisses me off.

I understand that early last Season I was of similar thinking, regarding Tanking. But once I took a step back and read the Management Thread(s), recognized who provided qualitative & quantitative information, I recognized the value of this perspective.

Yes, I was so excited about the Play-In Round, the First Round vs The Blues and then Vegas.

However, this Season has been a sobering reminder of just what this Management Group has done.

Thank you again to @valkynax , @I am toxic , and @Jack Burton , among many others here for helping give a venue to express our concerns.

Regarding feeling some hope when we beat Blues, you're not alone. I too felt I saw a glimpse of light at the end of a tunnel filled with sewage, many others did too. Except for a few eagle-eyed fans such as Y2K.

This organization is done with Benning and his buddy Weisbrod. If Aquaman does not face reality and continues to act like a delusional, petulant little bitch, the team will die.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Regarding feeling some hope when we beat Blues, you're not alone. I too felt I saw a glimpse of light at the end of a tunnel filled with sewage, many others did too. Except for a few eagle-eyed fans such as Y2K.

This organization is done with Benning and his buddy Weisbrod. If Aquaman does not face reality and continues to act like a delusional, petulant little bitch, the team will die.

Things were definitely looking up after last season. EP played like a superstar. Hughes was a future #1 dman in the making. Bo lead the way with some dominating performances. Sure the team was still not good enough but there was some hope. And then Benning went and had one of the worst off seasons one can possibly have at that point in the team's life cycle.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
There's no end in sight for me. The Detroit model will never be attained with this ownership group. They only seem to care about money first, not seeming to realize that in a Canadian market, if you win the money just follows. So now, they've dug themselves a hole where casual fans aren't coming around as often to put money in the seats.

Nothing will change, it's still the same clowns at the top who think they are smarter than people in the business and will cut costs at the top wherever they can. Sure, we'll get rid of a few of them this offseason, but even if the new guys are competent, they'll have a shelf life much shorter than someone who's going to allow ownership to have their foot in the door.

EDIT: I don't mean to be combative, might've just woken up weird this morning but I really didn't see last season as an incredibly optimistic indicator for the future. Our entire defensive scheme was centered around 2 guys we ended up letting go.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Things were definitely looking up after last season. EP played like a superstar. Hughes was a future #1 dman in the making. Bo lead the way with some dominating performances. Sure the team was still not good enough but there was some hope. And then Benning went and had one of the worst off seasons one can possibly have at that point in the team's life cycle.

Games vs vegas should have been a sobering slap in the nuts. Unfortunately we were in awe of the "achievement" that we just beat a cup team. Looking at it now, it was more like false hope than light at the tunnel, a mirage of oasis.

MAJOR changes are needed for our management and the attitude of ownership needs a serious reality check.

Reactions: supercanuck

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'd take Eklund tbh. Safest bet at being a top 6 forward with star potential. He profile like a Hoglander with more hockey IQ and a bit taller

Oh I agree. I think Eklund is the best case scenario given where we'll be picking. I think he could slide due to "overexposure", as he was considered a front-runner for #1 going back to last season, and he's one of the few prospects that's played a full season this year (plus he ended it kind of cold).

I heard great things about Edvinsson tho.
Would he not be a good pick around 9?

No hockey IQ. Plays a "junior style" game really. Reminds me of Broberg in a tools-but-no-toolbox kinda way, and that's not a compliment.

Reactions: timw33

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Edvinsson has very questionable IQ. It's defnitely classic Canucks for us to go from Hughes to Edvinsson because we won the last few games in garbage time out of "pride".
At the end of the day tho, Nobody really knows who is gonna be the best D-man coming out of this draft.
Let's not Forget, Even tho we screwed up our positions in most drafts, We did catch massive breaks when guys like Hughes Dropped, and who ever was smart enough to take EP40 at his spot.
Don't get me wrong, I wanna lose the last 2 games also, get a top 7 Pick.
But this draft I heard is a Crap Shoot anyways, Nobody has a Consensus on any player.
I feel like just getting a Fresh Reset, new management, staff, etc
Is the really make or break thing for this season this year.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Oh I agree. I think Eklund is the best case scenario given where we'll be picking. I think he could slide due to "overexposure", as he was considered a front-runner for #1 going back to last season, and he's one of the few prospects that's played a full season this year (plus he ended it kind of cold).

No hockey IQ. Plays a "junior style" game really. Reminds me of Broberg in a tools-but-no-toolbox kinda way, and that's not a compliment.
Interesting, That's kind of scary honestly.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
At the end of the day tho, Nobody really knows who is gonna be the best D-man coming out of this draft.
Let's not Forget, Even tho we screwed up our positions in most drafts, We did catch massive breaks when guys like Hughes Dropped, and who ever was smart enough to take EP40 at his spot.
Don't get me wrong, I wanna lose the last 2 games also, get a top 7 Pick.
But this draft I heard is a Crap Shoot anyways, Nobody has a Consensus on any player.
I feel like just getting a Fresh Reset, new management, staff, etc
Is the really make or break thing for this season this year.

Not one that follows rankings during the year in the lead up to draft day and I tend to buy that there is no consensus etc because of the current circumstances. However, I can't help but wonder about how much do rankings actually change from D-1 to the draft year. I mean I know there are players who rise or fall significantly but how much do the bulk of players really change positions?

Truly I want to know if anyone has looked at it and can educate us...

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
is that what you look for at 9? you realize you can also get Horvat at 9 Hamilton at 9 Rantanen at 10?
a Myers ceiling isnt great.

I am really concerned if we pick players with bad skating and/or low hockey IQ. Both these things are pretty hard to improve on. (Yes Horvat improved his skating, but not everyone else does)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Please point me to the viewings that make you feel this way. I don't see him as really all that similar to Broberg other than swedish.

I think he looks more like Noah Dobson than some Sbisa out there, but again, I haven't seen a ton more than clips and, some shift by shifts and the U18's.

Like how do you have junior style, when you play pro? I definitely think this is biased based and that's fine, I'm biased against Kent Johnson because I don't think he skates well enough for how he plays.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Dude are you serious? Would you want your pick at 9 to end up being a Third pairing defenseman?
I never could understand the Myers Hate.
The guy is a good Player overall in his NHL Career.
He has not been Amazing for us, But has been Serviceable, Had a much better 2nd Half of the year.
When Emotions get attached, People undervalue players, Myers at 9 Would be a complete Coup.
The guy has like 304 Points in 740ish Games.
Again, that's just my opinion tho

Last edited:
Reactions: dwarf

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
He has not been Amazing for us, But has been Serviceable, Had a much better 2nd Half of the year.
When Emotions get attached, People undervalue players, Myers at 9 Would be a complete Coup.

No emotions attached at all. If you look at his contract, he has a negative value, which I think is where most of the hate comes from. If he were signed for a lower caphit with a shorter contract, there would be much hate. He also has some of the worst advanced stats for a defenceman.

Regardless, if we draft a player like him in the top 10, I would consider it a fail.

Reactions: I am toxic

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
No emotions attached at all. If you look at his contract, he has a negative value, which I think is where most of the hate comes from. If he were signed for a lower caphit with a shorter contract, there would be much hate. He also has some of the worst advanced stats for a defenceman.

Regardless, if we draft a player like him in the top 10, I would consider it a fail.
The key is that the Contract is Inflated, Have him at around 4.5m, I don't think we get Half the amount of hate honestly.
I dono man, I feel the guy has had a pretty damn good Career, for a 9th overall pick, getting a guy who played over 700 games, would be a damn good pick honestly.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Just my usual year end rant. Typical as always, with not caring about tanking, this canuck ownership will never pay for a star player. In 50 years we have never picked first overall, and without management forcing the team to tank, it never will.

This team needs an owner who is willing to play by the rules the league has given it. I remember when he bought the team, and bold moves was his plan. Nothing bold about drafting mid pack, just endless loser drafts and teams.

50 years of watching no cup wins. I won't support this team financially, when all it does is rob its fan base. I may decide to buy a Kraken jersey, but will always follow this team as I can't let go.

Reactions: vanuck

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Please point me to the viewings that make you feel this way. I don't see him as really all that similar to Broberg other than swedish.

I think he looks more like Noah Dobson than some Sbisa out there, but again, I haven't seen a ton more than clips and, some shift by shifts and the U18's.

Like how do you have junior style, when you play pro? I definitely think this is biased based and that's fine, I'm biased against Kent Johnson because I don't think he skates well enough for how he plays.

On offense and transition, tries to use his superior size to protect and get around guys. But when pressured, he doesn't really have the processing ability (or skating) to make a quick cut or pass, and often has to throw it away. On defense too, hes' pretty passive and relies on his size + long reach to break up plays. But in the NHL, you need to close gaps quickly and not be passive, because fast/shifty/skilled forwards will capitalize on that.

This article from Jack Han puts him as nearly a do-not-draft. Draft to Dev: Simon Edvinsson

Reactions: CanuckCity

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
On offense and transition, tries to use his superior size to protect and get around guys. But when pressured, he doesn't really have the processing ability (or skating) to make a quick cut or pass, and often has to throw it away. On defense too, hes' pretty passive and relies on his size + long reach to break up plays. But in the NHL, you need to close gaps quickly and not be passive, because fast/shifty/skilled forwards will capitalize on that.

This article from Jack Han puts him as nearly a do-not-draft. Draft to Dev: Simon Edvinsson
Thanks for the reply.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

For some perspective, here are the last 15 9th overall picks:

Sheppard
Couture
Bailey
Cowen
Mikael Granlund
Hamilton
Trouba
Horvat
Ehlers
Meier
Sergachev
Rasmussen
Kravstov
Zegras
Rossi.

At 9 your chances of getting at least a top 6 F/top 4 D are really good. Picking a Myers-like-player at 9 wouldn't be a bust. But, I would be disappointed unless all the players taken around him busted.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
For some perspective, here are the last 15 9th overall picks:

Sheppard
Couture
Bailey
Cowen
Mikael Granlund
Hamilton
Trouba
Horvat
Ehlers
Meier
Sergachev
Rasmussen
Kravstov
Zegras
Rossi.

At 9 your chances of getting at least a top 6 F/top 4 D are really good. Picking a Myers-like-player at 9 wouldn't be a bust. But, I would be disappointed unless all the players taken around him busted.

Many of these players are significantly better than Meyers. It would definitely be disappointing to get a player of his calibre. Not a bust but you can definitely do better.

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
Even Calgary wants Edler to score his 100, putting in a goalie who hasn't started in 14 months.

Some teams get how to tank, other teams play Demko.

Reactions: dwarf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad