20-21 Season Tank Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
OQ0Jokp.png

default_owneddance.gif

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
It wasn't a spectacular night on the out-of-town scoreboard last night. Eight teams behind the Canucks in the point standings were in action. They produced two wins, one extra time loss, and four regulation losses—so not great, but probably effectively compensated for by the three point game between Montreal and Winnipeg.

Four teams behind Vancouver in the point standings are in action today. The Rangers are already down 3-0 to Boston, so not much hope there.

I know it's too early in the season to be focusing on minutia like this. I should go out and enjoy the rain.
Don't worry about points, focus about points percentage: (after Bruins win today)

TeamGPPtsPts%
Ottawa231532.61
Detroit231736.96
Vancouver241837.50
Anaheim212140.48
Buffalo181541.67
San Jose181644.44
NY Rangers191744.74
Nashville201845.00
Columbus222147.73
CGY, ARI, DAL, NJD22, 21, 16, 1622, 21, 16, 1650.00
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

VAN has more games played than anyone else, and juuuust ahead of Detroit by pts%.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Don't worry about points, focus about points percentage: (after Bruins win today)

TeamGPPtsPts%
Ottawa231532.61
Detroit231736.96
Vancouver241837.50
Anaheim212140.48
Buffalo181541.67
San Jose181644.44
NY Rangers191744.74
Nashville201845.00
Columbus222147.73
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
VAN has more games played than anyone else, and juuuust ahead of Detroit by pts%.

Yeah, I know the pts% is more important. On the other hand, I feel it's the optics of the pts standings that will (might?) move management.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

TeamGPPtsPts%
Ottawa231532.61
Detroit231736.96
Vancouver241837.50
Anaheim212140.48
Buffalo181541.67
San Jose181644.44
NY Rangers191744.74
Nashville201845.00
Columbus222147.73
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
“Let’s go Buffalo!”
Beat those nasty Flyers today.
Lots of bad teams. We need to get into tank mode now! Trade away guys like Pearson, and Sutter. And play HOLtby more. Guys a sieve, and w3 need that. Got to get to the very bottom to assure us of a top 4 pick. Can’t let other teams pass us.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’m pretty stoked about tanking this year and getting another high draft pick. Hopefully Benning gets canned before he can do more damage. Our scouts have improved a lot over the past few years as well. Now if only we can get lucky in the draft lottery for once.
We have a pretty good core to build around and adding Podzolkin and Rathbone next year with some bad contracts coming off the books and maybe one of Lind or Lockett panning out as a bottom six option. Adding a high draft pick would be huge for the team imo.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's becoming more and more obvious that what happens on the ice the rest of the way, matters little in the big scheme of things.

Canucks will likely end up with another top-five draft pick, which is huge. And of course the owner has to undertake the long overdue review of the entire Canucks operation. Those two decisions are really all that matters now.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
It's becoming more and more obvious that what happens on the ice the rest of the way, matters little in the big scheme of things.

Canucks will likely end up with another top-five draft pick, which is huge. And of course the owner has to undertake the long overdue review of the entire Canucks operation. Those two decisions are really all that matters now.

Agreed. If history shows us, Aqua likes to fire GMs only after the Canucks have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Happened to Nonis and Gillis. There's hope once that happens Benning is gone.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It is telling that the only area of autonomy Benning truly has is in amateur scouting where Benning and Co have done reasonably well and where FA can't meddle. It is also the area Benning says he is best at "I have a background in amateur scouting" and will be concentrating on because of the departure of Brackett " I plan to spend more time in amateur scouting". In all areas of proscouting, where ownership can presumably meddle, the franchise has been basically brought to its knees.

Do you really think the GM spends more time amateur scouting than proscouting? Any GM?

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Detroit can pass us tomorrow in point percentage, and points
I’m just waiting for the Sens to pass us. Now that’ll be a day. Unless they already have? I haven’t looked at the standings in awhile. I already know this team is out of it and at the bottom.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I’m just waiting for the Sens to pass us. Now that’ll be a day. Unless they already have? I haven’t looked at the standings in awhile. I already know this team is out of it and at the bottom.
Not yet. OTT has a game in hand and 3 points behind us, DET has a game in hand and 1 point behind us. OTT has 10 points in their last 10 games, DET has 9, we have 6 out of a possible 20

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
That's the Sens to the left, Wings in the foreground.

tenor.gif

Ours is the one in the middle catching air.
Im not too happy about being on the tank once again this year. I was off it finally last year. But it was pretty f***in obvious that Benning went all in and we were in for regression this year. The funny sad thing is competent coaching could trap this team to a mediocre record. Our smoothbrained bench jockeys cant even do that. Hopefully theres finally light at the end of the tunnel for a clean sweep of management this year cause if theres not, Im finally at a point where Ill check out on this team until it happens

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Im not too happy about being on the tank once again this year. I was off it finally last year. But it was pretty f***in obvious that Benning went all in and we were in for regression this year. The funny sad thing is competent coaching could trap this team to a mediocre record. Our smoothbrained bench jockeys cant even do that. Hopefully theres finally light at the end of the tunnel for a clean sweep of management this year cause if theres not, Im finally at a point where Ill check out on this team until it happens
This club reminds me a lot of the 70’s and 80’s. Bad management, bad coaching, and bad everything. The difference is tickets back then were 5-10 bucks for nose bleeds, and moving to the best seats was easy, considering the rinks was half empty. We aren’t going to see the cheap tickets again, but we might see a half empty rink if Benning/Brod is left in charge

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
This club reminds me a lot of the 70’s and 80’s. Bad management, bad coaching, and bad everything. The difference is tickets back then were 5-10 bucks for nose bleeds, and moving to the best seats was easy, considering the rinks was half empty. We aren’t going to see the cheap tickets again, but we might see a half empty rink if Benning/Brod is left in charge
Im lucky enough to have only been a fan since the early-mid 90s, I was spoiled with Bure/McLean et all of the bat. I was young and naive during the Messier and revolving goalie years but that seemed to fly by even as a kid where a year lasted forever. These 7 years have both flown by and seemed like an eternity with this ownership and management doing everything they can to piss off both the average fan who wants a playoff berth and the diehards who want a cup more than anything

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When you really break it down, this might be the year the Canuck can seriously 'tank' without really trying.

They're rapidly getting caught by some of the NHL bottom-feeders like Detroit, New Jersey and Buffalo. The difference is that those teams are playing some truly awful teams in their own divisions.

There are no easy games in the Canadian Division--not even Ottawa anymore. So the Canucks could play well and still bottom out. 'Tanking without really trying'.....the dream of every lottery team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad