20-21 Season Tank Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
When you really break it down, this might be the year the Canuck can seriously 'tank' without really trying.

They're rapidly getting caught by some of the NHL bottom-feeders like Detroit, New Jersey and Buffalo. The difference is that those teams are playing some truly awful teams in their own divisions.

There are no easy games in the Canadian Division--not even Ottawa anymore. So the Canucks could play well and still bottom out. 'Tanking without really trying'.....the dream of every lottery team!

This isn't going to be one-year tank. This is a team that's going to get worse next season. Currently, the only two defensemen signed for next season are Schmidt and Myers. They have $23 million in cap space with Pettersson, Hughes and Demko to re-sign.

The team is going to find it difficult to even replace a couple of minimal contributors like Sutter and Pearson.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
It just sucks that our core group of kids which would have been a contending core capable of winning during any era would have many years be wasted even if we do go ahead with full tank (as tanking at this point would require a few years to work). I'm afraid they will soon demand to be traded if tank comes full force. So this might already be two late, and may have to wait till the next era...for a proper contending team.

Reactions: infinitemile

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
This isn't going to be one-year tank. This is a team that's going to get worse next season. Currently, the only two defensemen signed for next season are Schmidt and Myers. They have $23 million in cap space with Pettersson, Hughes and Demko to re-sign.

The team is going to find it difficult to even replace a couple of minimal contributors like Sutter and Pearson.
Guys like Lind and Gadjovich/Focht are going to be forced a role similar to Chatfield this year. It's gonna be... interesting.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Guys like Lind and Gadjovich/Focht are going to be forced a role similar to Chatfield this year. It's gonna be... interesting.
I don’t think that’s true at all. A lot of NHL caliber 2nd to 4th liners signed one year deals for between $700k and $1.75m.

I think a new manager with a better eye for talent and understanding leverage could fill out the team much better than depending on unready minor leaguers.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

If the Canucks are back in the old Pacific Division next season, they could actually be worse on paper but better in the overall standings.

Have you checked the rosters for the Coyotes, Kings, Ducks and Sharks lately? They're beyond bad. And unlike the Canucks, they really don't have a Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser or even a Hoglander in the pipeline, and absolutely no goalie depth to speak of.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

Sutter has 6 points in 24 games (all goals mind you). If you remove his hattrick game it's 3 points in 23 games. Not much to replace offensively really.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
I don’t think that’s true at all. A lot of NHL caliber 2nd to 4th liners signed one year deals for between $700k and $1.75m.

I think a new manager with a better eye for talent and understanding leverage could fill out the team much better than depending on unready minor leaguers.
You are already assuming we have a new manager and that he is going to be competent?

I think I will continue assuming that this team will be run improperly until proven otherwise. Seven god damn years doesn't leave me with a whole lot of faith right now.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Sutter has 6 points in 24 games (all goals mind you). If you remove his hattrick game it's 3 points in 23 games. Not much to replace offensively really.

Except we know how difficult it is for our GM to identify and acquire talent.

If it's so easy for this GM to acquire better players than Sutter, why do we have so many players on the team currently with fewer points than Sutter? Sutter is currently tied for 7th in points for forwards.

It might be difficult to get a downgrade from Sutter, but if there's a GM who can do it, it's ours.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Let us focus our posts on the tank, not each other.

It's to our best interest to keep this tank sparkling clean, and minimize any attention from mods. This way we can have a small platform where we can give Benning our collective middle finger.
244d129f5939c5d7089ec820e01fef72.jpg

tenor.gif

Which is why it was so important to have Weisbrod/Benning fired a half decade ago.

And failing that they should have been fired yesterday.

Weisbrod/Benning dug a grand canyon of a hole, and they're still holding the shovel even if they've been told to stop digging.

The sooner we get COMPETENT management, the sooner the team can be extricated from the expialatrocious cluster**** that is the Weisbrod/Benning shitshow.

Just a quick note to say that I think you guys are doing a great job keeping this Thread clean
D2C223BA-63F5-4850-8929-26A833A0D641.jpeg

and helping us focus on the issue & not each other.

There are many additional contributions as well & I’ll go through with my Like gun later.
9FEF71C6-E23A-4E01-A8F7-6A3330C595F6.jpeg

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
wrong year for us to get a top 2 pick(more than likeily will drop to 5 with our luck) but w.e.. whole season kind of reminds me of the avs horrible year before breaking out. in the end we should embrace the circusit is and take positives from this season and the aspects of how much better it will be next year.

- a high pick leaving us with a young d core of hughes, juolevi(showing decent, but needs tougher exposure), rathbone(great debut in ahl, amazing skating and offense..still lots to learn though), woo(showing great defensive game as a first-year pro), and the 20201 1st
-podz is here next year
-gadjovich, lind, lockwood all looking good.
-sutter is going to get a useful pick for us
- hughes/pettersson slightly having down years before contracts are signed, which may save a little bit
- pearson can return a good pick for us,
-the team is set up incredibly well for the expansion draft. any picks acquired at the tdl can be used to acquire a top 4 from a team that doesnt have the space to protect someone.
- as much as people have disliked myers, hes played decent enough that hes tradeable in the offseason(without paying assets to have someone take him)
- jv either gets traded, or he is bought out at a 50k cap hit yr 1, 500k yr 2 (more cap avail)
-edler@6mil will be finished
-benn contract is done
-sutters contract is overrr
-roussel will be going into his last year.
-beagle will be going into his last year
-eriksson will be going into his last year

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
wrong year for us to get a top 2 pick(more than likeily will drop to 5 with our luck) but w.e.. whole season kind of reminds me of the avs horrible year before breaking out. in the end we should embrace the circusit is and take positives from this season and the aspects of how much better it will be next year.

- a high pick leaving us with a young d core of hughes, juolevi(showing decent, but needs tougher exposure), rathbone(great debut in ahl, amazing skating and offense..still lots to learn though), woo(showing great defensive game as a first-year pro), and the 20201 1st
-podz is here next year
- hughes/pettersson slightly having down years before contracts are signed, which may save a little bit
-the team is set up incredibly well for the expansion draft. any picks acquired at the tdl can be used to acquire a top 4 from a team that doesnt have the space to protect someone.
- as much as people have disliked myers, hes played decent enough that hes tradeable in the offseason(without paying assets to have someone take him)
- jv either gets traded, or he is bought out at a 50k cap hit yr 1, 500k yr 2 (more cap avail)
-benn contract is done

JT Miller is our Duchene?

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

-podz is here next year
-benn contract is done

It's been 7 years of "next year will be better". Benning's entire GM career is based on what will be achieved the year following the current year. What Benning's Canucks will do next year is always better than what Benning's Canucks are doing, or have done. But next year's Canucks are only better than this year's Canucks because time hasn't yet caught up to next year. Every year, there have been opportunities to start climbing out of the hole, but every year, the opportunity to climb is missed, and the hole gets dug deeper...

Last edited:

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I actually think the team is actually in a decent position for someone new to come in and do a quick retool to turn things around. Unlike when Jim came in and tried to do that.

The dead weight bad contracts encumbers that considerably but chip away at that and start to target the right players and a wholesale teardown can be avoided.

Yeah I agree completely.........we aren't as far off as some of the doom and gloom crowd are portraying us to be.

Granted whoever comes is in is going to have to ace this years draft..........get us a decent third line center and another piece or two while divesting ourselves of some of our bottom six garbage.

Ideally also this is done before the TDL so that we can trade whatever value we might have (Pearson and Sutter come to mind) for picks.......

It's certainly not a certainty however it's also not at all out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Dowd and Gaunce could have been had for low cost, and would be better than Beagle and Roussel. We didn't even have to go looking, we let them go for nothing.

What a clusterf*** this Weisbrod/Benning nightmare is.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
With Detroit about to lose to Chicago, all four teams below the Canucks in the points standings will have lost tonight. It's going to be difficult for the Canucks to make up ground quickly in the Tank—there are other equally committed teams.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
It's been 7 years of "next year will be better". Benning's entire GM career is based on what will be achieved the year following the current year. What Benning's Canucks will do next year is always better than what Benning's Canucks are doing, or have done. But next year's Canucks are only better than this year's Canucks because time hasn't yet caught up to next year. Every year, there have been opportunities to start climbing out of the hole, but every year, the opportunity to climb is missed, and the hole gets dug deeper...

7 years? yea, ill agree its been a rough 7 years. but then you can also look at what really happened.
ownership pushed for competitiveness while Sedins were around. so many picks and half-assed ufsasignings/trades to catch lightning in a bottle to satisfy ownership's delusional vision.
in an attempt to please ownership, yes, Benning screwed up here many times. But what people need to realize is that no matter who was the gm, they would have been doing the same things because in the end they would have only gotten hired for agreeing, and proceeding with what ownership wanted.
this is also why Benning got an extension from Aquilini, because he stuck to ownerships wants of trying to be competitive with the Sedins around.

you mention there have been opportunities to get out of this, but really has there been?
I'm assuming this is going to revolve around things like not signing a Sutter extension/Roussel/Beagle/Myers. which I agree, in the current situation do look bad.
yet if you really think about it, the canucks had nothing when these players were signed.
Who did the canucks have on their roster/"NHL" ready prospect going into the Sedins last year (note this is prior to Pettersson break out in SHL).?Boeser and Horvat, maybe Guance?/
they had nothing in their pipeline from the years of being competitive before. no one knew how Pettersson would do in the NHL, no one knew we would end up with Hughes, no one knew we could acquire Miller at his price, or Pearson would be gotten for Gudbranson. Juolevi, Rathbone were unknowns still. regularly these prospects would not be ready for years. which would line up to Eriksson last year of his contract, or the year after.
the best part of these contracts is that besides Myers, the rest are done when Eriksson is.
What else could it be? Skipping on Markstrom/Toffoli/Tanev? Yes they would have made us better this year, but they would become the next Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel contracts, and blocked the young players who have matured in the AHL and can now help on cheap contracts.

Benning has obviously done many things wrong, but if you cant see how good this team is going into next season/end of next season(cap wise/prospect wise/talent wise), I think you've dug the benning cant do anything right hole too deep

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
7 years? yea, ill agree its been a rough 7 years.
Benning has obviously done many things wrong, but if you cant see how good this team is going into next season/end of next season(cap wise/prospect wise/talent wise), I think you've dug the benning cant do anything right hole too deep

Delusional take: The Canucks remain 12-14 good to excellent skaters from challenging for a championship and Benning isn't the guy to build it. By his own accounts he is an amateur scout and in the absence of Linden had been miscast as a modern GM and simply lacks the skill set. Overall, his weakness coming into the job was proscouting and balance sheets and he has displayed these deficiencies in spades. Other the other hand he is a great fall guy for a headstrong owner that wants to meddle in Hockey Ops. After he is relieved of his GM duties, it may make good sense to retain him in the amateur scouting department since they still don't have a director.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
7 years? yea, ill agree its been a rough 7 years. but then you can also look at what really happened.
ownership pushed for competitiveness while Sedins were around. so many picks and half-assed ufsasignings/trades to catch lightning in a bottle to satisfy ownership's delusional vision.
in an attempt to please ownership, yes, Benning screwed up here many times. But what people need to realize is that no matter who was the gm, they would have been doing the same things because in the end they would have only gotten hired for agreeing, and proceeding with what ownership wanted.
this is also why Benning got an extension from Aquilini, because he stuck to ownerships wants of trying to be competitive with the Sedins around.

you mention there have been opportunities to get out of this, but really has there been?
I'm assuming this is going to revolve around things like not signing a Sutter extension/Roussel/Beagle/Myers. which I agree, in the current situation do look bad.
yet if you really think about it, the canucks had nothing when these players were signed.
Who did the canucks have on their roster/"NHL" ready prospect going into the Sedins last year (note this is prior to Pettersson break out in SHL).?Boeser and Horvat, maybe Guance?/
they had nothing in their pipeline from the years of being competitive before. no one knew how Pettersson would do in the NHL, no one knew we would end up with Hughes, no one knew we could acquire Miller at his price, or Pearson would be gotten for Gudbranson. Juolevi, Rathbone were unknowns still. regularly these prospects would not be ready for years. which would line up to Eriksson last year of his contract, or the year after.
the best part of these contracts is that besides Myers, the rest are done when Eriksson is.
What else could it be? Skipping on Markstrom/Toffoli/Tanev? Yes they would have made us better this year, but they would become the next Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel contracts, and blocked the young players who have matured in the AHL and can now help on cheap contracts.

How is this team going to be..."good" next season?

How?

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Assuming he waives, does Edler with big money retention and 1-3M in cap coming back get a 1st?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Assuming he waives, does Edler with big money retention and 1-3M in cap coming back get a 1st?
I don’t think Edler would be worth more that a second as a rental. But I don’t think he will waive, or even be asked.
I’m hopeful Sutter, Pearson, and Benn will be asked to submit lists though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad