20-21 Season Tank Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I don’t care anymore. As a passionate fan since the 1970’s I’ve been angry at times, frustrated at times, conflicted at times....but I’ve never just not cared until this season.
The roster is such a complete mess, the cap is maxed out, and the architect of it all has survived longer than a bad marriage because the owner of the team can’t see what is obvious to anyone paying attention.
I suspect there are thousands who feel as I do. Nothing destroys a business faster than your market not caring about your product,

Even reddit is turning on Benning after Toffoli turned our net into Swiss cheese, and let's not forget his "oh we ran out of time sowwweeeee" remark.

I'm curious as to how or if public relations staff goes through Benning's speeches ahead of time. My first reaction upon reading it was to check if I was on the onion news.

Every time I think this team has bottomed out, it surprises me by being that much shittier.

And now I gotta bust out this footage again:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I don’t care anymore. As a passionate fan since the 1970’s I’ve been angry at times, frustrated at times, conflicted at times....but I’ve never just not cared until this season.
The roster is such a complete mess, the cap is maxed out, and the architect of it all has survived longer than a bad marriage because the owner of the team can’t see what is obvious to anyone paying attention.
I suspect there are thousands who feel as I do. Nothing destroys a business faster than your market not caring about your product,
I skipped last night's game for the first time where I didn't have a conflict in something like 10 years. Took a little nap, thinking I would get up to watch the game, then when 7 o'clock rolled around I couldn't be bothered, just kept napping, checked the score after it was over then off to bed to get ready for an early day today.

If Benning isnt officially fired within a week or so, I am guessing I will tune out completely until he is officially fired in the offseason. He's already been effectively fired, but that's only a half measure, we need new management. That is competent.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know if it's the fact that the Canucks basically hollowed out their media and PR staff, but poor Jimbo seems to need all the help he can get. This isn't the first time he's suffered a case of foot and mouth disease from a media question. "Running out of time" to try and re-sign Tofoli was exactly the message Canuck fans didn't want to hear.

But as far as the tank is concerned, you can only hope that with their playoff chances at less than one percent, they'll treat the season the way they should.....development of the kids and positioning the team for a strong draft.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
MOD WARNING:

This Tank Thread will remain open for the time being, but a few ground rules.

1) Tank Posts are restricted to this thread. The GDTs still exist for the enjoyment of fans looking to cheer their team on. If you are posting in advocacy of the tank or cheering for the Canucks to lose, this is thread to do it. Doing so in a GDT will result in threadbans and/or warnings being issued.

2) Conversely, this thread is reserved for those in favour of the Tank. Any fans cheering on the team's victory who decide to troll this thread if the team does well at any point will also find threadbans and/or warnings being issued.

3) Those in the pro-tank camp are absolutely not allowed to use this thread to ridicule those who are not. The Site Rules still apply - specific or blanket insults will not be tolerated.

This is going to be very experimental. Tank Threads in the past have proven to be a lot of work for the local moderating team, which is why there has been extreme reluctance to allow one. If the above rules cannot be/willnot be abided by, this will be shut down.

For anyone not familiar with the full Site Rules including Flaming and Trolling, please see here: Terms of Service and Rules | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League .

you two go to your own rooms and stay in there. so help me god don’t make me come back up here and separate you again.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I'm back in the tank thread. I thought after QH emerged last year, I won't have to see one for at least half a decade. How wrong am I?

Well, its for the best. After seeing how far apart we are from Vegas, its not like we will be anything but mediocre even if we sneak in this year. So tank away and hope they delay the draft so we have a decent amount of games to scout. Clarke Power and Hughes one of them could be that minute munching D we need to slot behind QH.

Reactions: Ginger Papa and Dab

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
It really is amazing how much this house of cards amateur hour pretend NHL professional hockey team was propped up by Gillis era players.

Last season, Benning supporters were so quick to give all the credit to the scorers (Miller in particular) and none to our foundational defensive players;

And now that the legs of the tables have been fully kicked out and replaced with ugly misshapen stumps, we all see how the hollow the tiger really is.

We... as in the entire league.

Thanks Frankie!

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
I don't want another Hughes on our blue line. Quinn is awesome but one player of his ilk is enough.

Obviously you go with BPA every time, but the guy we really need to draft is an all-situations true #1 D. Hughes is not, and will never be a true #1 guy, despite his biggest fans' protestations to the contrary. He's simply too tiny.

I'm not sure if a guy like I'm describing is available this year (Power?), because I haven't had the time to follow this year's prospects closely -- but that's who I'd be shooting for.

Reactions: Dab

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Anyone who thinks this team has 95% of a core that can compete in the future doesn't understand NHL hockey.

We have 4, maybe 5 of 7 pieces needed. That's about two-thirds of what is needed. Totally ignoring the bottom 6, and second and third pairing D. And supporting ELC types that can step in and manage NHL minutes when the inevitable injuries arise. And those bottom 6 and 3rd pairing D better be able to handle top 6 minutes/top4D roles when required.

But I'm not surprised. There are a lot of people out there who do not understand hockey.

Like the people who thought Green would be top coach of the year.

Or that the Canucks sit in the best position to end Canada's Cup drought.

Or that Canucks fans owe Jim-I-effed-the-team-and-its-future-so-I-could-save-my-sorry-ass-job-Benning an apology.

95% of a core. Give your head a shake.

Hi Toxic

So, I think I know a little about hockey, and although I agree with your overall premise and opinion. I differ with you about the U25 personnel. I believe it is above average, but generally young and need of major veteran support.

I believe last year the Canucks were ranked 4th or 5th best U25 players. I think that that says alot of the drafting as well as Bennings lack of ability in surrounding them with quality people. It is the UFA signings that has been Benning's undoing.

That and his inability to evaluate Green and his assistants, who IMO, are so over their heads, it isn't funny.

So, we have a lot in common agreement, but differ in our opinion of the youth. I think you have to consider, the age of our strongest players.......all 23 and under. I do not think any team has been as successful as the Canucks, with their firsts, unless you are speaking of Ottawa, who has had multiple 1st's in several years. But in my opinion this argument is irrelevant to the tank.

IMO, the Canucks are missing a number 1 RHD, 1/2 left winger, and a 3rd line center. All of who should be drafted.
Hopefully, the new GM, Gets his top 5 draft pick, and picks a defenseman. I also, am in disagreement with more than a few about Juolevi, who IMO (again) has now shown enough for me to endorse him. Do, I think he is a 1 or 2, no, but he is looking like a decent 3/4.

I am more upset with Benning and Green, and not for drafting, but for every thing else. I hope it happens soon!

PS..........I am just laughing at Benning for his poor handling of the Taxi squad, who could have all been the Ericksson's, Baertschi, Benn, etc, as having Rathbone sitting not playing games, while Utica played, just pissed me off......especially after he has a 3 point night in his 1st game there. It just blows my mind, and illustrates Benning's and Green's inability to manage the club.

I hate in the worst way, that I am hoping every game for us to loose, but our rebuild is not complete, and drafting is such an integral part of it.

Cheers

Reactions: Ginger Papa and Dab

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Yep....if you didn't know better, you'd almost swear the Canucks were 'intentionally tanking'. I mean two shutout losses in four games; and blowing a two goal lead and three goal lead, is worthy of one of finer 'tank performances' ever.

I mean it's right up there with the Sabres belly-flopping in order to take a crack at Rasmus Dahlin or Jack Eichel. The scary thing is, the Canucks aren't even 'trying to tank'.....they're just doing it naturally.

Again! For the... fifth time? Sixth? Woof!

Reactions: vanuck and Dab

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
It will be interesting if Benning is allowed to swing a trade and how the supporters respond.

Should be an epic 6 weeks leading up to the Trading deadline.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I don't want another Hughes on our blue line. Quinn is awesome but one player of his ilk is enough.

Obviously you go with BPA every time, but the guy we really need to draft is an all-situations true #1 D. Hughes is not, and will never be a true #1 guy, despite his biggest fans' protestations to the contrary. He's simply too tiny.

I'm not sure if a guy like I'm describing is available this year (Power?), because I haven't had the time to follow this year's prospects closely -- but that's who I'd be shooting for.

I'm not sure if you know this but Luke Hughes is 6'2" and will probably be 200+lbs when he fills out.

He's number 6 in Blue. Looks pretty good to me.

Last edited:

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

Look at this crusty Alberta boy born mother f***er.
Troll us some more Ron, you f***ing pansy ass.

Ron MacLean has been dead to me for over a decade. This was before he chose to shill for a blatantly racist Don Cherry.

6 more games before the Canucks turn it around? Dude also sucks at math, apparently. And this is the lead hockey guy on CBC.

Would not shed a tear if HNIC died a semi-dramatic death and faded away into nothingness.

Edit: It irks me greatly that Ron MacLean is held up as this awesome face of Canada becuz hockey. Just stop it.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm not sure if you know this but Luke Hughes is 6'2" and will probably be 200+lbs when he fills out.

He's number 6 in Blue. Looks pretty good to me.

I take him no problem. After the vegas series I was thinking ok maybe no Hughes, now it's ok, we have a chance at him, if he's a safer bet than Powers I am ok with him.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The Canucks need to hire a competent autonomously acting President first and FA needs to get out of Hockey Ops. The new president can hire the new GM and Coach.

The delay in hiring a new president is very likely FA refusing to butt out of controlling the hockey decisions and go back to playing NHL Nintendo like every other Templeton Secondary School linebacker who wishes he could skate but still loves the Nucks.

Though does this sound like someone willing to give up control of hockey ops and stop micromanagement every decision:

Q&A with Francesco Aquilini

The auction storey is interesting: Even at a young age, distrusting and disregarding advice, and instead imposing his will on a decision/situation he doesn't understand.

Regardless, the beauty of pulling the trigger now is that a new regime would have a 2-3 grace period in which to keep tanking in order to accumulate the appropriate talent, through the draft, to some day challenge for a championship.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think my biggest fear is probably FA firing Benning but promoting John Weisbrod to take over. And then having to look forward to another 7 years of an idiot at the helm of my favorite sports team.

If that happens I think I'll check out completely, which isn't really that far from where I'm at now to be honest.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Hi Toxic

So, I think I know a little about hockey, and although I agree with your overall premise and opinion. I differ with you about the U25 personnel. I believe it is above average, but generally young and need of major veteran support.

I believe last year the Canucks were ranked 4th or 5th best U25 players. I think that that says alot of the drafting as well as Bennings lack of ability in surrounding them with quality people. It is the UFA signings that has been Benning's undoing.

That and his inability to evaluate Green and his assistants, who IMO, are so over their heads, it isn't funny.

So, we have a lot in common agreement, but differ in our opinion of the youth. I think you have to consider, the age of our strongest players.......all 23 and under. I do not think any team has been as successful as the Canucks, with their firsts, unless you are speaking of Ottawa, who has had multiple 1st's in several years. But in my opinion this argument is irrelevant to the tank.

IMO, the Canucks are missing a number 1 RHD, 1/2 left winger, and a 3rd line center. All of who should be drafted.
Hopefully, the new GM, Gets his top 5 draft pick, and picks a defenseman. I also, am in disagreement with more than a few about Juolevi, who IMO (again) has now shown enough for me to endorse him. Do, I think he is a 1 or 2, no, but he is looking like a decent 3/4.

I am more upset with Benning and Green, and not for drafting, but for every thing else. I hope it happens soon!

PS..........I am just laughing at Benning for his poor handling of the Taxi squad, who could have all been the Ericksson's, Baertschi, Benn, etc, as having Rathbone sitting not playing games, while Utica played, just pissed me off......especially after he has a 3 point night in his 1st game there. It just blows my mind, and illustrates Benning's and Green's inability to manage the club.

I hate in the worst way, that I am hoping every game for us to loose, but our rebuild is not complete, and drafting is such an integral part of it.

Cheers

I have no idea where the disagreement lies. I never said any thing otherwise.

To make it clear, anyone who thinks the core is 95% there to compete in the future does not understand hockey. We are 2 or 3 core pieces away, including a #1D, another top6 F, and possibly a Vezina level goalie depending on where people are at on Demko, which means we have about two thirds of our core, not 95%.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The Canucks need to hire a competent autonomously acting President first and FA needs to get out of Hockey Ops. The new president can hire the new GM and Coach.

The delay in hiring a new president is very likely FA refusing to butt out of controlling the hockey decisions and go back to playing NHL Nintendo like every other Templeton Secondary School linebacker who wishes he could skate but still loves the Nucks.

Though does this sound like someone willing to give up control of hockey ops and stop micromanagement every decision:

Q&A with Francesco Aquilini

The auction storey is interesting, distrusting advice, imposing his will on something he doesn't understand even at a young age.

Regardless, the beauty of pulling the trigger now is that a new regime would have a 2-3 grace period in which to keep tanking in order to accumulate the appropriate talent, through the draft, to some day challenge for a championship.
There’s no chance the new guy gets 2-3 years grace period. The knew guy will actually have big expectations and rightfully so.

In your scenario if the 2 seasons after this are non playoff grace period years you’re looking at a decade of bottom end hockey.

You’ve probably forced 40 and 43 into requesting trades.

The tank is to get a new manager to get better immediately. Re-tool it in 2-3 years if it flops but they’re very much at the same point Gillis took over in 2008. He didn’t get a grace period. He didn’t even get a below .500 season

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I have no idea where the disagreement lies. I never said any thing otherwise.

To make it clear, anyone who thinks the core is 95% there to compete in the future does not understand hockey. We are 2 or 3 core pieces away, including a #1D, another top6 F, and possibly a Vezina level goalie depending on where people are at on Demko, which means we have about two thirds of our core, not 95%.
And only boeser, Hughes, and Pettersson are the only u25 members of the core.

people counting Juolevi already? Come on.

Bo’s ages out. Demko is the same age.

Miller is 28 soon.

The two defensman signed beyond the season are 30+

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There’s no chance the new guy gets 2-3 years grace period. The knee guy will actually have big expectations and rightfully so.

In your scenario if the 2 seasons after this are non playoff grace period years you’re looking at a decade of bottom end hockey.

You’ve probably forced 40 and 43 into requesting trades.

The tank is to get a new manager to get better immediately. Re-tool it in 2-3 years if it flops but they’re very much at the same point Gillis took over in 2008. He didn’t get a grace period. He didn’t even get a below .500 season
Gillis came in and had Luongo already here. Any new management here doesn’t get that obvious advantage. The Benning/Brod mess is a lot bigger than a retool fix. We should rebuild around Petey and Hughes.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
And only boeser, Hughes, and Pettersson are the only u25 members of the core.

people counting Juolevi already? Come on.

Bo’s ages out. Demko is the same age.

Miller is 28 soon.

The two defensman signed beyond the season are 30+
I could see an argument for Hogs, but when someone comes into the tank thread and spews that the core is 95% there to compete in the future, I call shilling bs, trolling the tank thread.

Not zcaptain, rather another poster who made that bs 95% claim. Z just got caught in the crossfire.

tenor.gif

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
I've always hated Ron McLean.

I was at a Hip concert in Toronto circa mid-90s. We were all getting ready for Gord the traditional way and looking over who is sitting right beside us but Ron McLean.

He never took part in the pre-concert stuff but was good to go for 2 hours with us.

True story.

Edit: He was ok then but hated him for his public treatment of Burrows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad