20-21 Season Tank Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Actually the scouts already know the top guys very well, many of whom have been closely watched for several years. So the top picks are already established, and those guys are actively playing too. It’s the odd late bloomer who will get missed, but they would be in the later rounds. We need to tank, and secure a top five pick. We also need to trade coming UFAs to add extra picks (rounds two and three would be great) to get more chances at finding one of those late bloomers.

You actually think that?

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
If FA plans to keep the team, everything, absolutely everything, about the Nucks future depends on getting a competent and autonomous President in place.

All things flow from this one appointment.

I imagine that Benning/Weisbrod have pushed back on this for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: DS7 and Luckylarry

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
I'm happy that tank commander Benning and Green aren't using the taxi squad, like the rest of the smart teams of the league, to limit fatigue and tiredness.

Let's just run all of our guys into the ground! That will really push our guys to play good when our locker room spirits are at an all time high!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You actually think that?
The top guys have been scouted since Bantam, and earlier. Hammarstrom was scouting Petey when Petey was 14. This length and depth of scouting is why the GM should keep out of watching guys for a few games and then pushing for that certain player over the scouts, who have years of evaluations.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Benning would like to state, "I have a background in scouting."

(Not previously as a GM of any team ever).

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If FA plans to keep the team, everything, absolutely everything, about the Nucks future depends on getting a competent and autonomous President in place.

All things flow from this one appointment.

I imagine that Benning/Weisbrod have pushed back on this for years.
If Aquilini wants to hire a competent GM he will have to assure that new guy he’s not going to be used as a hand puppet. Imo Aquilini has a bad reputation for being a puppeteer. He seems to prefer hand puppets too, which would be terribly uncomfortable for the puppet.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Benning would like to state, "I have a background in scouting."

(Not previously as a GM of any team ever).
The “previous scouting experience” is only a good thing if used to set up a scouting staff. It’s bad if used to be active in actually selecting players. Benning seems to me to be more of the latter.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The top guys have been scouted since Bantam, and earlier. Hammarstrom was scouting Petey when Petey was 14. This length and depth of scouting is why the GM should keep out of watching guys for a few games and then pushing for that certain player over the scouts, who have years of evaluations.

So might as well skip the last year of scouting every year?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I've been against tanking for most of my time on this board but this year there's zero chance we accomplish anything so we should drop like a stone. I'd like us to clear anybody that isn't a core piece who'll still be here in 5+ seasons, stockpile draft picks, avoid long-term off-season contracts to UFAs, and aim to come out swinging next season.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I've been against tanking for most of my time on this board but this year there's zero chance we accomplish anything so we should drop like a stone. I'd like us to clear anybody that isn't a core piece who'll still be here in 5+ seasons, stockpile draft picks, avoid long-term off-season contracts to UFAs, and aim to come out swinging next season.

Next season is already written off.

As it stands we will have 23 mil in cap space.

At least 18 of that will go to Demko, Hughes & Pettersson.

That leaves us ~5 mil to fill in:
- Pearssons replacement
- Edlers replacement
- 3rd line center
- Gaudette, Juolevi....

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
I'm happy that tank commander Benning and Green aren't using the taxi squad, like the rest of the smart teams of the league, to limit fatigue and tiredness.

Let's just run all of our guys into the ground! That will really push our guys to play good when our locker room spirits are at an all time high!

Other teams have depth.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Why do that?

Well you've twice defended your position that the fact that scouts have not seen these kids play for a year, is not a big deal as far as evaluating their talent.

Why not just concentrate all your scouting on players that are not in their draft year? You get more looks at those kids that way.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity

- Pearssons replacement
- Edlers replacement
- 3rd line center
- Gaudette, Juolevi....

I brought this up yesterday, some fans seem to think we just flip the pending UFAs/RFAs for a top 4 LHD and top 6 winger.

The best case is we move on from Rousel and Beagle with late picks. JV and Gaudette are now worthless. Our GM has put us in a position that we will likely have to move bad contracts attached to quality pieces to clean up.

JT Miller+Rousel for a young prospect and 2nd rd pick kind of deals.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I brought this up yesterday, some fans seem to think we just flip the pending UFAs/RFAs for a top 4 LHD and top 6 winger.

The best case is we move on from Rousel and Beagle with late picks. JV and Gaudette are now worthless. Our GM has put us in a position that we will likely have to move bad contracts attached to quality pieces to clean up.

JT Miller+Rousel for a young prospect and 2nd rd pick kind of deals.

Yep.

Wonder if we could get Seattle to take Myers, if we hand them a high pick?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

We care not what you were or what you're going to be, all that matters is what you are right now.

Welcome a board, have a cold one and chill. The tank is picking up steam, could be a rough ride, but you got plenty of company.
oL96pJv.gif

Our last 2 losses were so beautiful it almost brought tears to my eyes.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well you've twice defended your position that the fact that scouts have not seen these kids play for a year, is not a big deal as far as evaluating their talent.

Why not just concentrate all your scouting on players that are not in their draft year? You get more looks at those kids that way.
Didn’t intend to say scouts haven’t seen (top) players this year. Top players are playing. Plus, scouts have been tracking the top guys for many years. Add together and it means having this draft in 2021 is good for us, providing Benning isn’t involved.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC

- Pearssons replacement
- Edlers replacement
- 3rd line center
- Gaudette, Juolevi....
It's likely to be a write-off but Podkolzin could have a Hoglander like impact on the team. We may also be able to clear some more cap or find more LTIR eligible players to increase our flexibility. This all becomes more likely if we see a change in leadership and none of it is a sure bet.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Didn’t intend to say scouts haven’t seen (top) players this year. Top players are playing. Plus, scouts have been tracking the top guys for many years. Add together and it means having this draft in 2021 is good for us, providing Benning isn’t involved.

Is there actually any objective data that teams draft better than the NHL central scouting list?

If so, I would like to see it.

If there isn't, then this fact alone could reduce nepotism in the NHL.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is there actually any objective data that teams draft better than the NHL central scouting list?

If so, I would like to see it.

If there isn't, then this fact alone could reduce nepotism in the NHL.
I think someone already previously posted that the Canucks would have done better with their picks (first round?) just following central scouting during the Benning era.
Don’t know about other teams, but a potato would draft better than Benning.
Might miss out on later round pick success if only using Central Scouting?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

- Pearssons replacement
- Edlers replacement
- 3rd line center
- Gaudette, Juolevi....
Thankfully this season I haven’t seen anyone suggest our cap issues aren’t a problem

Harman made this point before last offseason

The arguments in vancouver were about how can we bring back guys or find equivalent level production for a 17th place team. It should have been - how can we upgrade? They got worse.

It’s the same issue this year. And again, capspace will restrict us barring significant change

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
"If there isn't, then this fact alone could reduce nepotism in the NHL."

On second thought, they would all just probably move to central scouting.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We care not what you were or what you're going to be, all that matters is what you are right now.

Welcome a board, have a cold one and chill. The tank is picking up steam, could be a rough ride, but you got plenty of company.
oL96pJv.gif

Our last 2 losses were so beautiful it almost brought tears to my eyes.
Yep....if you didn't know better, you'd almost swear the Canucks were 'intentionally tanking'. I mean two shutout losses in four games; and blowing a two goal lead and three goal lead, is worthy of one of finer 'tank performances' ever.

I mean it's right up there with the Sabres belly-flopping in order to take a crack at Rasmus Dahlin or Jack Eichel. The scary thing is, the Canucks aren't even 'trying to tank'.....they're just doing it naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille