20-21 Season Tank Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I actually think the team is actually in a decent position for someone new to come in and do a quick retool to turn things around. Unlike when Jim came in and tried to do that.

The dead weight bad contracts encumbers that considerably but chip away at that and start to target the right players and a wholesale teardown can be avoided.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I could see an argument for Hogs, but when someone comes into the tank thread and spews that the core is 95% there to compete in the future, I call shilling bs, trolling the tank thread.

Not zcaptain, rather another poster who made that bs 95% claim. Z just got caught in the crossfire.

tenor.gif
Hogs is fun. He has 2 points in 15.

On a well built team he’s probably not in the nhl or at least isnt getting 2nd line and PP time at 20.

I’ll probably get called negative for that comment but it’s reality. He might be a core player but most likely he’s a support piece.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I actually think the team is actually in a decent position for someone new to come in and do a quick retool to turn things around. Unlike when Jim came in and tried to do that.

The dead weight bad contracts encumbers that considerably but chip away at that and start to target the right players and a wholesale teardown can be avoided.
Yup the point of the tank now isn’t the top of the draft talents it’s getting a new gm to oversee the future.

This is where I’m at too. It’s a positive and optimistic outlook.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Gillis came in and had Luongo already here. Any new management here doesn’t get that obvious advantage. The Benning/Brod mess is a lot bigger than a retool fix. We should rebuild around Petey and Hughes.

Benning is remarkable at screwing the team, both short term with the Miller and Holtby moves, and long term with Myers.

Adding in the craptastic cap mismanagement that prevents moving bad players/contracts, he's screwed whoever comes in to fix this mess.

I won't even go into the shambles of a farm system and the lack of a pipeline Benning has managed to destroy.

The exact opposite of Gillis in 2014 when he left a 110 point team and a prospect pool including a future vezinal level goalie, future elite2c/Captain, future NHL D man, and a 6th OA pick.

The seven years of Benning's fantabuloustically sorry-ass management will have ramifications for years to come. A Decade of Disaster.

Last edited:

rypper

Dec 22, 2006

On a well built team he’s probably not in the nhl or at least is getting 2nd line and PP time at 20.

I’ll probably get called negative for that comment but it’s reality. He might be a core player but most likely he’s a support piece.

Agreed, he's been a bright spot with his effort and tenacity but in reality on a well run team he's in the AHL tearing it up. I can't imagine how bleak it would be without him so far this season though.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

On a well built team he’s probably not in the nhl or at least is getting 2nd line and PP time at 20.

Only two players on this roster are core pieces to winning: Petey and Hughes. They are both young and have very difficult to come by skills, compete, character, etc.
We need to tank and not just for this year. Marky masked so much of this team’s issues that many (me included) we’re fooled into thinking we were further along than we truly were. Our U24 Cupboards are bare. Build for 3-5 years away. Can speed that time frame up if get lucky at draft.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Only two players on this roster are core pieces to winning: Petey and Hughes. They are both young and have very difficult to come by skills, compete, character, etc.
We need to tank and not just for this year. Marky masked so much of this team’s issues that many (me included) we’re fooled into thinking we were further along than we truly were. Our U24 Cupboards are bare. Build for 3-5 years away. Can speed that time frame up if get lucky at draft.
Good luck keeping 40 and 43.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

I would at least hold on to Boeser. I believe he will shine in the next 2 to 3 seasons as he fully recovers from the kind of injury where healing is measured in years.

No wait and see bullshit, no hindsight is 20/20 crapola later on - callin' it now.

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
We should rebuild around Petey and Hughes.

JT, Bo and Brock would all fetch high picks with decent contracts to add value in a trade.

I think we just need to get rid of the dead weight:

Rousel, Eriksson, Beagle, JV, Edler, Sutter, Pearson, Benn = $30m in cap space.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
I'm not sure if you know this but Luke Hughes is 6'2" and will probably be 200+lbs when he fills out.

He's number 6 in Blue. Looks pretty good to me.

Yes, 6'2 and built like a twig. He looks like he'd get destroyed by 19 year-old Pettersson in a bench press contest.

He's obviously very talented and apparently more of an all-around player than his brother. Can he defend at an elite level? Can he play physical hockey and handle huge forwards along the wall? Because most of the projections I see for him are as a top PP quarterback, and we don't need or have space for another one of those.

Just a little leery of yet another easily pushed-around top pick I guess.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
People saying we can’t give the new manager 2-3 years grace period realize that we have to basically rebuild the entire bottom 6 and defense right to even consider the playoffs

There’s solidly 4-5 pieces we need and it’s one more year after this one before we have any semblance of cap space to do anything.

1 year after this for the eriksson/beagle/roussel contracts to come of the books and to add 2-3 pieces

another year to add another 2-3 pieces and suddenly you are in year 3 and that’s assuming pieces here like gaudette; Jake;Juloevi turn out to be successful bottom pairing/bottom 6 guys

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
There’s no chance the new guy gets 2-3 years grace period.

Viewing the situation realistically, the Canucks are 10 very good players from challenging for a Cup. They need to acquire these players and 2-3 year is the shortest likely time period. If that comes in the time period of the prime of Horvat and Miller, that's great but the reality is they will probably be moved in order to acquire the 10 (12) missing pieces in the correct demographic age group.

The clock is reset; it won't be Bennings' seven year ticking time bomb any longer. Better the new regime just blames the old one and manages supporter expectations for 3 years.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
People saying we can’t give the new manager 2-3 years grace period realize that we have to basically rebuild the entire bottom 6 and defense right to even consider the playoffs

There’s solidly 4-5 pieces we need and it’s one more year after this one before we have any semblance of cap space to do anything.

1 year after this for the eriksson/beagle/roussel contracts to come of the books and to add 2-3 pieces

another year to add another 2-3 pieces and suddenly you are in year 3 and that’s assuming pieces here like gaudette; Jake;Juloevi turn out to be successful bottom pairing/bottom 6 guys
What spots can we fill through tanking, building draft capital, and then using that capital well?
Petey Bess ?
Bo Podzilla ?
Hogs ??
Motte ??
Hughes ?
Bone ?
Juiolevi Woo

The new GM has a lot of questions to answer.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

$750k - Corey Perry $1.75m - Erik Haula $1m - Carl Soderberg there’s your new 3rd line. It’s cheaper than Brandon Sutter.

I think you’re jaded by 7 seasons of terrible management. Most of us are. I think people get too caught up in the ideal. It took 12 seasons from Stamkos’ draft with good management to win.

Reactions: timw33

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020

You know what we need are some age-gap players. Maybe a few veterans in their late twenties who can come in and teach this next crop of kids the right way to play.

Sure, it might cost us some picks and prospects and we'll probably have to overpay a couple of UFAs entering their twilight years to retirement contracts. But we can't let a losing culture seep into this organization or we could end up like the Oilers.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Yes, 6'2 and built like a twig. He looks like he'd get destroyed by 19 year-old Pettersson in a bench press contest.

He's obviously very talented and apparently more of an all-around player than his brother. Can he defend at an elite level? Can he play physical hockey and handle huge forwards along the wall? Because most of the projections I see for him are as a top PP quarterback, and we don't need or have space for another one of those.

Just a little leery of yet another easily pushed-around top pick I guess.

Weight/size is the easiest thing to change (unless you're Adam Gaudette with a condition of course.)

Duncan Keith is 6'1 192lbs. He's not exactly a wilted flower who gets pushed around.

For the record, and i know this is the tank thread, I'm not for drafting Luke Hughes unless he's the best player available when we select. I couldn't care less about the brother connection.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Weight/size is the easiest thing to change (unless you're Adam Gaudette with a condition of course.)

Duncan Keith is 6'1 192lbs. He's not exactly a wilted flower who gets pushed around.

For the record, and i know this is the tank thread, I'm not for drafting Luke Hughes unless he's the best player available when we select. I couldn't care less about the brother connection.

Keith is like the one guy in the NHL over the last 20 years who is under 200 pounds and considered a legit elite #1 D, so he's a huge outlier that I don't really like using as a comparable.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
What we need to do is...

1) Fire management
2) Admit this season is shot...NOW.
3) Maximize the value of any players who MIGHT have some value around the league and harvest any assets for those players.
4) Stop playing any players the team will be moving on from.
5) Evaluating the players in the system by giving them an opportunity to play at the NHL level (Podz, Rathbone, Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, etc).

It'll be ugly but this is a lost season, its already ugly...there are no paying asses in seats so who cares? Let the new management clean up Benning's mess with a nice lottery pick and maybe use some assets to clear some cap space. Next year will be better, and the year after should be better than that...but they have to start now.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You know what we need are some age-gap players. Maybe a few veterans in their late twenties who can come in and teach this next crop of kids the right way to play.

Sure, it might cost us some picks and prospects and we'll probably have to overpay a couple of UFAs entering their twilight years to retirement contracts. But we can't let a losing culture seep into this organization or we could end up like the Oilers.
Lol. We are like the Oilers silly.

Reactions: rypper

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
What we need to do is...

1) Fire management
2) Admit this season is shot...NOW.
3) Maximize the value of any players who MIGHT have some value around the league and harvest any assets for those players.
4) Stop playing any players the team will be moving on from.
5) Evaluating the players in the system by giving them an opportunity to play at the NHL level (Podz, Rathbone, Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, etc).

It'll be ugly but this is a lost season, its already ugly...there are no paying asses in seats so who cares? Let the new management clean up Benning's mess with a nice lottery pick and maybe use some assets to clear some cap space. Next year will be better, and the year after should be better than that...but they have to start now.
4 and 5 are unrealistic and imo 5 is just bad management. What’s the rush? There isn’t one. No point in bringing up unready prospects with time left on their ELC’s to play on this mess.

With 4 you could waive Eriksson or Roussel or whatever but I think “playing ball” with them involves working with them. I hope they both aren’t back next year but I don’t think waiving them to the minors helps them play ball.

The first 3 points I agree obviously I’m not selling the top guys for value yet. I think they have a season or two to decide on Bo/JT.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Nick Lidstrom says "Hello"...Erik Karlsson gives a little wave too.

So a generational defender with the best positioning in NHL history who played a hair under 200 and a generational offensive defenseman who was pretty one-dimensional even in his prime.

The point is that true all-situation defensemen need to be a certain size to be effective at both ends of the rink.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

What assets do we have apart from cap space and the pieces already in place?

Are you suggesting we try to land the missing pieces as UFAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad