Post-Game Talk: #2 - Rangers @ CBJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
feel like columbus was very good at closing the lanes and blocking/deflecting shots. nice to be 2-0 without playing a solid team game yet.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
No dude... Have you ever tried studying for a test, did a **** job, and still passed? Don't BS me, I know you have..

It's the same ****ing thing. You can do the wrong thing and still have desirable results... You can also do all the right things and have an undesirable result... It goes both ways.

yea...Nothing to do with what are talking about :laugh:

Keep the "advanced" stats on its own thread please. The few posters who enjoy that should be able to discuss it there, just dont try to throw it down the majority of us here like it means anything. I have NO problem with them talking about it, i have a problem when they try to cram it down my throat when they are saying who played good and who didnt.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Ok. I actually don't think the Rangers got outplayed at all. At times, sure. But there were plenty of times where the Rangers were controlling the pace of the play, even when the Jackets had control of the puck more often. And even when the Jackets were trying to push the pace with their physical play, the Rangers were still maintaining their calm, which meant CBJ was only so successful in what they were trying to do.

There's still a lot of work to do, but this was a fairly textbook AV road game in my mind.

Fair enough. I think a better observation would be that the Rangers never dominated like the Jackets did at points. The Rangers keep it even outside of the first 5-10 minutes of each period.

In those 20~ combined minutes, though, Hank was game.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
They play 82 games a year. To say every game will be similar is kind of absurd.

Hoping McIlrath replaces Boyle. He should really take a trip to visit his grandkids anyways

I never said they would be similar. I'm just intrigued at how differently they can look within AV's defensive system. The same general idea is there: puck-side overload with man-to-man assignments, but they always look different, unlike the Hawks, Lightning or Kings who literally play the same way for 82 games.

I want to give Boyle the benefit of the doubt that he'll get up to speed. Maybe being a roadie for a metal band wasn't the best summer plan for a 39 year old professional athlete. However, I'm also really pulling for McIlrath because he reminds me of Michael Sauer. A big, fairly mobile RHD who has good cap control and is strong along the boards that can also transition the puck is just what the doctor ordered for this defense.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Here's the real, actual facts: (like in reality, on planet earth)

2-0 for 4 points.

1. Beat the best team in the world. In their building. Home opener for them. Raised the banner for 3rd time in 6 years.

2. Beat a real solid team. Home opener. First game of the year for them. Came out firing.

HF Rangers "facts"
1. Not playing a team game
2. Corsi shows we're getting outplayed
3. Defense needs a lot of work after letting up 2 goals each game.
the fact we haven't been scored on more is luck and Hank. (who's just doing what he gets paid to do when he makes saves, not performing miracles)

I'm glad the facts on planet earth are the one's that have relevance

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Keep the "advanced" stats on its own thread please. The few posters who enjoy that should be able to discuss it there, just dont try to throw it down the majority of us here like it means anything. I have NO problem with them talking about it, i have a problem when they try to cram it down my throat when they are saying who played good and who didnt.

Well, I'm sorry but you're in the wrong here. Any and all game stats are pertinent GDT and PGT discussion. You're more than welcome to not engage but people are more than welcome to do it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Not really dude... Youre being a little narrow minded about a "system" as you call it that simply tracks activities that happen when a player or group of players are on the ice.

Do you remember those games where we'd take 45 shots and score 0 goals? It happens -- right formula, wrong result... The opposite happened in this game.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Not really dude... Youre being a little narrow minded about a "system" as you call it that simply tracks activities that happen when a player or group of players are on the ice.

Do you remember those games where we'd take 45 shots and score 0 goals? It happens -- right formula, wrong result... The opposite happened in this game.

45 shots does not always equate to the "right formula"

Last edited by a moderator:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

2-0 for 4 points.

1. Beat the best team in the world. In their building. Home opener for them. Raised the banner for 3rd time in 6 years.

2. Beat a real solid team. Home opener. First game of the year for them. Came out firing.

HF Rangers "facts"
the fact we haven't been scored on more is luck and Hank. (who's just doing what he gets paid to do when he makes saves, not performing miracles)

1. Second best team in the world. ;)
2. We've only been outplayed in the 2nd period against Chicago and the first ten minutes of this game
3. They've been good at clogging up lanes and keeping most stuff to the outside. They did well enough tonight limiting the helter skelter around Hank that the jackets were trying to establish. Hank being a demi-god has also helped

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
No, but if you're taking 45 shots a game, there's a good chance you're controlling play

Or the defense is doing a great job of containing your offense, forcing you to throw pucks on net from garbage angles.

You can play amazing defense and give up 45 shots.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

2-0 for 4 points.

HF Rangers "facts"

On number 3 there...

Look, I think they've put in one adequate defensive performance and one good defensive performance. But to me, there's a ton of room for improvement. It's a qualitative view. They just don't feel quite right yet. It's no criticism. It's game 2. They still look light years ahead of where they've been early in AV seasons.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ok like I said, advanced stats are more than welcome, but let's talk about them from tonight's game and debate their validity another time and place. This is a PGT.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Or the defense is doing a great job of containing your offense, forcing you to throw pucks on net from garbage angles.

You can play amazing defense and give up 45 shots.

But again, how often is that going to happen? It's rare...

There was a solid portion of the game where cbj completely pinned us in our own end ..

I didn't see any of that from the rangers AGAINST cbj...

Our defense is very suspect and fragile right now... Mcilrath is going to be a breathe of fresh air for this team

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
On number 3 there...

Look, I think they've put in one adequate defensive performance and one good defensive performance. But to me, there's a ton of room for improvement. It's a qualitative view. They just don't feel quite right yet. It's no criticism. It's game 2. They still look light years ahead of where they've been early in AV seasons.

I don't disagree

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

There was a solid portion of the game where cbj completely pinned us in our own end ..

Our defense is very suspect and fragile right now... Mcilrath is going to be a breathe of fresh air for this team

It didn't seem that way to me. I didn't feel like the Rangers were pinned down more than a few times all game.

We need better tracking as soon as possible.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015

Well if we finish all 82 games giving up 2 goals a game I'll be somewhat satisfied.

Considering it would be, oh I don't know, historic.

We've beat two great teams, in their building, for their home openers.

No complaints here, but suit yourself.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If everyone keeps playing the way they're playing and two other things happen,

1)Brassard pulls his head out of his rump

2)Boyle also does so, OR McILrath comes in and plays well

I really like this team.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
It didn't seem that way to me. I didn't feel like the Rangers were pinned down more than a few times all game.

We need better tracking as soon as possible.

There is room for improvement, as cup window agreed with you...

Girardi is really sandbagging mcdonagh... It's horrible, because mcdonagh really has to play the job of 1.5 defensemen because girardi is in over his head as a #1 RHD at this point...

Signing ehrhoff would have done wonders for this club... But I suppose for now we will have to wait and see. Girardi may need to get back in the swing of things, but unfortunately this doesn't look like anything we haven't seen before. Girardi is getting older, and declining fast

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Our defense has given up 2 goals a game playing out of sync, suspect, and fragile.

Imagine what they can do once they figure it all out?

Is it possible for a team to score a negative amount of goals?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

2-0 for 4 points.

HF Rangers "facts"

Fact:

Between 2005-present, the Rangers have the lowest GA/GP in the NHL.

What is the constant?

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Fact:

Since between 2005-present, the Rangers have the lowest GA/GP.

What is the constant?

Top 10 in his early years, top 5 the last 5 years.

The constant in the last 5 years is having a hall of fame goalie with 6 good defenseman playing hockey in front of him.

Tortorella's system helped. Renney's system helped.

There's other factors at play here.

You're suggesting we can give Hank any 6 defenseman and he can put up the same GAA. Simply not true.

Defense helps Hank just as much as Hank helps the defense.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah there is, my point is you can't use goals against as a barometer for defensemen when you have a modern Hasek in goal. Especially now, when moving the puck is more important to defense than probably ever.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
e
Yeah there is, my point is you can't use goals against as a barometer for defensemen when you have a modern Hasek in goal.

So if you're the GM you spend 60 million on offense and give Hank 6 Del Zotto's?

And expect the same goals against?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia