Post-Game Talk: #2| New York Islanders @ Tampa Bay Lightning | June 15th | 8:00 PM | F/L 4-2

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I said to a friend on Sunday night, in this series Game 2 will tell the story. Is Tampa unprepared for us and soft from playing a weaker schedule, did they simply take us too lightly, or were the Islanders toughened up from playing in the most competitive division in the league?
Good point. I look at game 3 as the true story. I think TB will be amped up tonight. The Isles will try, but it's human nature to not be as desperate as TB is for tonight. This is why I am sort of leaning toward the steal game 2 camp, though I would be happy to be wrong on that one, and the Isles put on another 5v5 clinic. There is something to be said for how the Isles were toughened up this season from Eastern division play, and then beating Pittsburg and Boston to prepare them for the Cup champs. We know the road to the derby is filled with preps. The Isles have the preps of foundation to go all the way this year.

Reactions: JKP

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
This series has Islanders / Senators 2003 written all over it as we came out hot in Game 1 and lost 4 straight after. Let's see how bad these jobbers blow it tonight.

Bolts - 8
Islanders - 0

4 of those goals will be thanks to Josh Bailey and his inept play along with Pelech thinking he is Brian Leetch.

:sarcasm:;)

Reactions: Barzaltrick

NYSaints

Jun 2, 2021
I said to a friend on Sunday night, in this series Game 2 will tell the story. Is Tampa unprepared for us and soft from playing a weaker schedule, did they simply take us too lightly, or were the Islanders toughened up from playing in the most competitive division in the league?

IMO having PIT/BOS/WAS in the division, teams that have played in the SCF or semi-finals for the last 5-10 years was of enormous benefit in terms of "refining the iron" as an old drill instructor used to say to us. Playing against the best trains and teaches you in many ways; how to win, what type of effort is needed to win, schemes, mental discipline/attitude, etc.

I think that what happened to the Habs last night is a good example; they played in the weakest of the 4 divisions and got badly outclassed by my least favorite team in the league, a team that had its roster handed to it, but I'll save that gripe for another thread...

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

I know we were originally hoping for a split but as some others are also saying here this game will be so pivotal. If we can win tonight, up 2-0, solidifies that we can play with them (expect TBL to come out with all they have today).. 2-0 with 3 home games forcing them to win 4 of 5 vs tied 1-1 with the loss of momentum and feeling we caught them off guard in game 1.. Pivotal. so psyched for tonight, hope we weather the storm and can take it to them.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Good point. I look at game 3 as the true story. I think TB will be amped up tonight. The Isles will try, but it's human nature to not be as desperate as TB is for tonight. This is why I am sort of leaning toward the steal game 2 camp, though I would be happy to be wrong on that one, and the Isles put on another 5v5 clinic. There is something to be said for how the Isles were toughened up this season from Eastern division play, and then beating Pittsburg and Boston to prepare them for the Cup champs. We know the road to the derby is filled with preps. The Isles have the preps of foundation to go all the way this year.
I think they have to steal one tonight to win also. TB will be coming. They are too well-coached, too experienced and too talented. Winning Gm1 was what we had to do, winning this one is what they have to do.

I expect us to be on the wrong side of this one tonight. Hope I'm wrong, obviously, or that Varly can steal it, but my gut tells me TB will be all guns blazing tonight.

Reactions: Barzaltrick

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Oh, it's gonna be hard not to tune in at work tonight. My supervisor is not a sports fan and Staple's Twitter feed is slow.
keep need to keep the score close, look for opportunities to pounce.

Let's go isles.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
There is on reason to expect and amped up Lightning team will dominate us.... if we forecheck and avoid the penalty box this game will be close in either direction

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They'd have to win both. No team who went down 0-2 at home and won their series did not win both 3 and 4 on the road.
Not quite.

In the 1942 final (before my time, so none of your lip) Toronto lost the first two games in Toronto and the third game in Detroit, and were even down 2-0 mid way through game four, before coming back to win the Cup.

joekono

Apr 29, 2016
Roxbury,New Jersey
This one is up there with this John Matisz tweet.

200w.gif

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

joekono

Apr 29, 2016
Roxbury,New Jersey
If the Islanders can somehow win GAME 2, the Islanders would have to lose 4 of 5 with 3 games at the Coliseum. I don't see it happening. As I said in the previous post, they were chasing that Cup for years and finally got it. They're human, maybe they don't have the hunger the ISLANDERS do. Win tonight and we are winning the Cup.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
If the Islanders can somehow win GAME 2, the Islanders would have to lose 4 of 5 with 3 games at the Coliseum. I don't see it happening. As I said in the previous post, they were chasing that Cup for years and finally got it. They're human, maybe they don't have the hunger the ISLANDERS do. Win tonight and we are winning the Cup.

5382dd61-8bbd-4d64-833f-783e0f1bb69d_text.gif

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Tampa should come out flying have to be extremely disciplined to avoid taking a penalty in the early minutes of the game.
This x100. Tampa is so much more skilled than they showed in Game 1; if they’re moving like they can, it’ll be very easy to trip them and head to the box.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Stay out of the box. Play hard for 60 mins. Hopefully get a W.

LGI!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad