Post-Game Talk: #2| New York Islanders @ Tampa Bay Lightning | June 15th | 8:00 PM | F/L 4-2

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Toughest game to date upcoming. Will need to be near perfect. Focus on defense and making the neutral zone a pile of sand and wait until their frustration leads to the odd man break.

Reactions: NYSaints

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Tampa is going to shoot from everywhere, and crash the net as much as possible. The Isles need to remain calm and hold the fort. If they can do that, they will demoralize them.

The Isles need to make every opportunity count.

Whatever happens, the Isles will still have home advantage...
I agree, I think they will be less inclined to try for the flashy goals since the Isles have the cross ice pass figured out. They also were aware of TB's penchant for no look behind the back passes. I noticed this immediately when Isles just guessed they were going to do it, and TB turned over the puck. Cooper will no doubt make adjustments. Isles should be aware of this with their scouting. I mentioned this the other day, little known fact when Lou took over, he took Jacques Lemaire with him from Toronto. His set of eyes on how TB play may have tipped off our coaching staff on TB players tendencies. Whether this is true or not, I am sure Lemaire is on the payroll, and he is feeding information to the team. Great to have hockey IQ in hockey ops.

Per NY Isles Management Directory:
Special Assignment Coach - Jacques Lemaire

Reactions: Le Grec

joekono

Apr 29, 2016
Roxbury,New Jersey
I moved my post from last night over to this one, this is how much I feel winning tonight would be HUGE! If the Islanders can somehow win GAME 2, the Islanders would have to lose 4 of 5 with 3 games at the Coli. Would I bet against that? Nope, not even against Tampa. Another intangible, back to back hasn't been easy and the last team to do it were the Penguins twice and Wings over the last 30 years. They're human, therefore may be content. They chased that Cup for a long time and finally got it last year. The only difference is that it must have really sucked winning it in that bubble last year because many players are making comments about the fans being a big difference this year. Finally, even though my heart has been on the edge of exploding, I haven't been in the mood to watch the rest of the games. I find myself tonight watching the Habs and Knights to see what we may be up against. Why would I do this? Maybe this year I believe. If we can win GAME 2 this series is over and the other two teams are just not going to be able to stop the train we would have rolling by then.
91J.gif

Reactions: 19 in a row

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am really excited tonight, because if the Isles can steal game 2. I reject using this term for game 1 since Isles earned that win with a clinical game. Tonight, earn, steal perhaps game 2. This would make it extremely difficult for TB to come back in the series given The Isles are home for games 3 and 4. Big game tonight to put a stranglehold on the series.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I agree, I think they will be less inclined to try for the flashy goals since the Isles have the cross ice pass figured out. They also were aware of TB's penchant for no look behind the back passes. I noticed this immediately when Isles just guessed they were going to do it, and TB turned over the puck. Cooper will no doubt make adjustments. Isles should be aware of this with their scouting. I mentioned this the other day, little known fact when Lou took over, he took Jacques Lemaire with him from Toronto. His set of eyes on how TB play may have tipped off our coaching staff on TB players tendencies. Whether this is true or not, I am sure Lemaire is on the payroll, and he is feeding information to the team. Great to have hockey IQ in hockey ops.

I didn’t know Jacques Lemaire was employed by the Isles.

That explains the boring style of hockey we play. Lemaire, Lamiorello, and Trotz. 2 old geezers and their protege.

Reactions: Barzaltrick

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I am really excited tonight, because if the Isles can steal game 2. I reject using this term for game 1 since Isles earned that win with a clinical game. Tonight, earn, steal perhaps game 2. This would make it extremely difficult for TB to come back in the series given The Isles are home for games 3 and 4. Big game tonight to put a stranglehold on the series.

They'd have to win both. No team who went down 0-2 at home and won their series did not win both 3 and 4 on the road.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
All the pressure is on Tampa tonight. Play physical and force turnovers. Score first and play our game. This series is ours for the taking. A win tonight and we will have the roof of the Coli blowing off game 3. Lets f***ing go!

Reactions: NYSaints

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I didn’t know Jacques Lemaire was employed by the Isles.

That explains the boring style of hockey we play. Lemaire, Lamiorello, and Trotz. 2 old geezers and their protege.
Give me more boring then, if watching the Isles lead the playoffs in GF thus far this playoffs is boring. Also when Lemaire won it in 95, The NJ Devils also led in GF that playoffs too.

NYSaints

Jun 2, 2021
Toughest game to date upcoming. Will need to be near perfect. Focus on defense and making the neutral zone a pile of sand and wait until their frustration leads to the odd man break.

IMO this is the season; win this and the series is ours. Lose and its a toss up, though we would still have home advantage and given how quiet/disinterested the Amalie Arena fans are, playing there is almost like a bubble game.

I believe the players and Trotz KNOW this is a winnable series, they just need everyone to give an all out effort on EVERY shift - a SMART effort, without retaliating for the inevitable tampa player provocations (Kucherov, anyone?).

If they can do that and control their aggressiveness, using it sparingly like Dom7 keys (for you musicians) and taco hot sauce (for you chefs), they will keep the TBL off balance. I think Tampa expected a different Isles approach; a plodding, heavy hitting team like last year, but got a strategically placed, keep-the-puck-on-the outside-at-all-times scheme that moved up ice FAST when the opportunity presented itself, and cycled down low - even though we are without Anders.

I have to admit, Palmieri and Zajac have been a god-send for the team, so I'll eat my crow there. Hope they re-sign both next year.

Reactions: TMI

NYSaints

Jun 2, 2021
Hope you guys have room for a band wagoner. Hoping you guys win it all! Love everything about what your team stands for. Hard working, tenacious, relentless.

Happy to have you come aboard the Starship Saints; besides you guys owe me because I root for BUF as a fellow NYS team. :thumbu:

Reactions: EichHart

NYSaints

Jun 2, 2021

I expect TBL to send two forwards to the net to crash and create havoc, the center is going to have to drop down and help the D. Hope JGP/Brock/Barz are ready for a very physical game tonight, and they will need to be at their defensive BEST.

Reactions: Barzaltrick

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I said to a friend on Sunday night, in this series Game 2 will tell the story. Is Tampa unprepared for us and soft from playing a weaker schedule, did they simply take us too lightly, or were the Islanders toughened up from playing in the most competitive division in the league?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00