Post-Game Talk: #2| New York Islanders @ Tampa Bay Lightning | June 15th | 8:00 PM | F/L 4-2

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Yes good post @MJF , agree Pelech had a rough night, which is a rarity. Only thing i disagree with is taking that pairing off of the Kutcherov/Point line. Who else can we possibly play there? Dont trust dobson, mayfield maybe. I trust greens head but dont think he would have the jump to stay on top of them. Keep rolling them and hope last night was a one-off situation

Reactions: MJF and JKP

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The reffing last night was just bad.....both ways. Many missed legit calls, many phantom calls....this is just one really bad crew.

With that said, wow...Tamps does flop and embellish a lot, not only should they be called for it, they should be embarrassed as NHL players ...the Palet incident was absolutely incredible. If any of our guys did that i would expect embellishment to be called.
You have to expect embellishment from TB, they have been doing this for years. Kucherov, Palat, Cirelli, Gourde, Stamkos, it happens too frequently to not say it is in their playbook. The only thing is have Lou request the league to be aware of this. The scrums are strange too. TB players punching players after the whistle in scrums. Beauvillier had enough and lost his cool and punched a TB player that was called. The inconsistency is what bothers me. Hopefully it is a one off, in fairness the call on Point was a bad one. But that was just one call. There were a whole lot more going the other way, but the Isles should get in the league's ear, to watch and call embellishment. If you are going to call a penalty for a dive, then call it, and call one for embellishment also.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The reffing last night was just bad.....both ways. Many missed legit calls, many phantom calls....this is just one really bad crew.

With that said, wow...Tamps does flop and embellish a lot, not only should they be called for it, they should be embarrassed as NHL players ...the Palet incident was absolutely incredible. If any of our guys did that i would expect embellishment to be called.
What was the Palat incident?

Yanni Gourde is quickly becoming a guy I hate (which is probably what he wants). I hope someone puts him through the boards at every opportunity on Thursday. Actually, I hope we crush Point, Kucherov, Palat, etc.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Nothing to add MJF, you pretty much summed it up in one post there. Only thing left is Pageau. How much will his tweak as Trotz calls it will limit his effectiveness. I am not even sure when he was hurt, but I have noticed him shying away from contact a little of late.

If I had to guess I'd say he tweaked his trapezius (upper back muscle around the shoulderblade).

Reactions: MJF

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I would assume challenging too many men on a goal will now be added for 21-22 after last night. I'm surprised it was not on the list to begin with
Seems a bit baffling that it isn't. It would seem pretty clear cut when under review, not like there's any judgement involved. Count the sweaters of the same colour... Should take 2 minutes.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yes good post @MJF , agree Pelech had a rough night, which is a rarity. Only thing i disagree with is taking that pairing off of the Kutcherov/Point line. Who else can we possibly play there? Dont trust dobson, mayfield maybe. I trust greens head but dont think he would have the jump to stay on top of them. Keep rolling them and hope last night was a one-off situation
I know everyone will have a conniption but I’d put Leddy-Mayfield out against Kucherov. I think Mayfield has been a rock since the beginning of the Bruins series.

Reactions: Riseonfire

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Seems a bit baffling that it isn't. It would seem pretty clear cut when under review, not like there's any judgement involved. Count the sweaters of the same colour... Should take 2 minutes.

I think the league just assumed officials rarely miss too many men calls because they are often times obvious and tend to occur in the neutral zone. As a result you figure why put that in on a goal review as it probably is too infrequent an occurrence

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I think the league just assumed officials rarely miss too many men calls because they are often times obvious and tend to occur in the neutral zone. As a result you figure why put that in on a goal review as it probably is too infrequent an occurrence

You are risking a penalty of your own on any goal review. ABSOLUTELY no justification for not having too many men on ice as a reviewable. If you can review that none of the five was ahead of the puck in the zone, surely you should be able to review that there was in fact only 5 skaters

Reactions: JKP

crasherino

May 9, 2013
This right here.

Thanks for that. Not that that affected the outcome, but that looks pretty bad. If you're gonna lay flat like that after a supposed big hit, at least go directly to the bench.

I get that when you get hit, at times you may be stunned and not fully know if you're hurt or just dazed, and it may take a minute to get up. But popping up like that, taking a pass and starting the rush is a real bad look. That may be the kind of thing that the league takes a look at.

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
Thanks for that. Not that that affected the outcome, but that looks pretty bad. If you're gonna lay flat like that after a supposed big hit, at least go directly to the bench.

I get that when you get hit, at times you may be stunned and not fully know if you're hurt or just dazed, and it may take a minute to get up. But popping up like that, taking a pass and starting the rush is a real bad look. That may be the kind of thing that the league takes a look at.

No problem.

And it’s been pointed out to me on Twitter that Barzal does something similar from time to time, but I guess I’m blind to our own flopping? lol

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Kucherov is the culprit of splashing around out their imo, even stuff that's not called a penalty he throws himself on the ice for. I would not take it easy if you have him in your crosshairs as an opposing player, I mean chances are he's gonna cry about it anyway....Might as well get your money's worth. Reminds me of Crosby for the first 5-6 years he was in the league, completely unbearable to watch a talent like that act like a b****

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kucherov is the culprit of splashing around out their imo, even stuff that's not called a penalty he throws himself on the ice for. I would not take it easy if you have him in your crosshairs as an opposing player, I mean chances are he's gonna cry about it anyway....Might as well get your money's worth. Reminds me of Crosby for the first 5-6 years he was in the league, completely unbearable to watch a talent like that act like a b****
I don't know what he did to Beau, to get him to punch him. That was not disciplined. But I am sure Kucherov is sneaky good at undected slashes, spears, other things that often get opponents worked up. It's a pattern with him. Nice performance here, wonder if refs are starting to get wise to his act. Went down like he was shot.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada

Hopefully the refs hand out more diving and flopping penalties in the rest of the series whenever warranted.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Not that it changes anything and more out of curiosity, what are the challengeable plays - is it just offside and high sticking?

You can review any missed stoppage, but it’s currently limited to the offensive zone.

38.2 Situations Subject to Coach’s Challenge
A team may only request a Coach’s Challenge to review the following scenarios:
(a) “Off-Side” Play Leading to a Goal​
– A play that results in a “GOAL” call on the ice where the defending team claims that the play should have been stopped by reason of an “Off-Side” infraction by the attacking team (see Rule 83 – Off-Side);
(b) Missed Game Stoppage Event in the Offensive Zone Leading to a Goal – A play that results in a “GOAL” call on the ice where the defending team claims that the play should have been stopped by reason of any play occurring in the offensive zone that should have resulted in a play stoppage but did not; and
(c) Scoring Plays Involving Potential “Interference on the Goalkeeper” – Either: (i) A play that results in a “GOAL” call on the ice where the defending team claims that the goal should have been disallowed due to “Interference on the Goalkeeper” (as described in Rules 69.1, 69.3 and 69.4); or (ii) A play that results in a “NO GOAL” call on the ice despite the puck having entered the net, where the On-Ice Officials have determined that the attacking team was guilty of “Interference on the Goalkeeper” but where the attacking team claims: (A) there was no actual contact of any kind initiated by an attacking Player with the goalkeeper; (B) the attacking Player was pushed, shoved or fouled by a defending Player which caused the attacking Player to come into contact with the goalkeeper; or (C) the attacking Player’s positioning within the goal crease did not impair the goalkeeper’s ability to defend his goal and, in fact, had no discernable impact on the play.​

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't know what he did to Beau, to get him to punch him. That was not disciplined. But I am sure Kucherov is sneaky good at undected slashes, spears, other things that often get opponents worked up. It's a pattern with him. Nice performance here, wonder if refs are starting to get wise to his act. Went down like he was shot.

Duclair musta been using one o' them hollow point sticks....

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
My Takeaways from Last Night

• Bolt's utilizing the stretch pass to avoid carrying the puck through the neutral zone, looking for quick hail mary type play to catch us sleeping, Trotz will have to adjust and have everyone looking for this.
  • Bolt's getting back to their coaxing and acting. We gave in and took retaliatory penalties as a result, need to learn the hard lesson from last year.
  • The Barzal goal was a good learning moment, even though the game had gotten away from us, it was a prime example of what we need to do more of to win. You don't need to be a Calder Winner to score that goal, it was a simple enough play from Eberle driving to the net, generating a rebound and Barzy cleaning up, all 4 lines can do that

Coming home tied is not a bad situation to be in. This is anyones series still!

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I was screaming at the TV when Palat was magically ok. I don't have the temperament to be a ref, totally thankless job. But I would have called Palat for embellishment there, what a ridiculous play to lay down on the ice and then go full speed. I'd be very surprised if that isn't looked at from the league for a fine.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I was screaming at the TV when Palat was magically ok. I don't have the temperament to be a ref, totally thankless job. But I would have called Palat for embellishment there, what a ridiculous play to lay down on the ice and then go full speed. I'd be very surprised if that isn't looked at from the league for a fine.
That was pathetic. At least finish the sell job and go to the bench. That was Neymar level stuff.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Isles fans are one of the most creative in their chants razzing the opposition. I wonder what the Nassau crowd will come up with for tomorrow's game. liar, liar, diver, diver...or 7 men on the ice, 7 men on the ice....lol

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I know everyone will have a conniption but I’d put Leddy-Mayfield out against Kucherov. I think Mayfield has been a rock since the beginning of the Bruins series.

I wouldn't. It was one bad game for the top pairing, they are too good and it's their job to shut down the best. Leddy will gift wrap goals for that line.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I wouldn't. It was one bad game for the top pairing, they are too good and it's their job to shut down the best. Leddy will gift wrap goals for that line.
I agree that it's one bad game and if I were the coach I'm going to try to have 3 & 6 out there against Kucherov whenever I could. But if I see them continuing to struggle with this matchup I'd have to have my next best D pair out against that line.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00