Post-Game Talk: #2| New York Islanders @ Tampa Bay Lightning | June 15th | 8:00 PM | F/L 4-2

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
NEW YORK ISLANDERS AT TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

GAME 2: ISLANDERS AT LIGHTNING
8 PM | AMALIE ARENA
ISLANDERS LEAD SERIES 1-0
WATCH: NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS, NHL.TV
LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM | 98.7FM

Preview

Tampa looks to even the series

Tampa Bay generated few chances in the opening 20 minutes. Few expected the Lightning to be that rusty. Both teams enjoyed the same basic amount of time off.

Tampa Bay defeated Florida and Carolina, who were arguably as good or better than the Lightning. Yet, New York came out like they were the home team.

The Islanders controlled play with four of the six high-danger chances and established a tone for Game 1. They were able to draw penalties and had a +3 penalty differential before a late second-period minor. Again, New York played a style that saw a decent amount of shots allowed but little quality.

The way New York took a 2-0 lead was simple. They took advantage of the chances created. New York held a slight lead in expected goals for and even the third-period disadvantage was hardly drastic. Mathew Barzal opened the scoring as he used his speed and ability to dig into the risky areas.

Barzal plowed right in and put the puck in the net before the center went into the net. It was the kind of goal that endears a player to a fanbase yet again. It is the kind of goal that Barzal has been scoring. Also, this gave the pivot 10 points on the playoff season.

Granted, it was just one goal but this felt like more. When Ryan Pulock scored to make it 2-0, it felt like the game was over.
Aside from less than 60 seconds, it was as the Islanders held on to win 2-1.

Tampa Bay Should Bounce Back

Tampa Bay has now lost every opening home game in the playoffs. It seems to be a pattern. They come out flat. It did not even matter that this was Game 1.

The Lightning fell behind 2-0 before mounting a late challenge that fell short. Also, it did not help that Tampa Bay was -3 on penalty differential after 39 minutes.

For one, despite a late power-play goal, Tampa Bay felt disconnected in the game. There was so much slop aside from that one goal.

Maybe the most encouraging thing about Game 1 for the Lightning was this fact. Thankfully, it was only one game. Mentally, Jon Cooper put it best: “their minds weren’t there.”

Everything was a fraction of a second off, especially during the first two periods. Even when things became a little crisper, Semyon Varlamov shut the door. As a result, Tampa Bay has much work to do starting in Game 2.

lRy79Fm.png

Playoff Series History

.....................ALL GAMES......................................................HOME...........................................................AWAY.....................................................PLAYOFFS....................
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
W-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-LWIN%GFPGGAPG
54-63-346.32.82.829-28-150.92.92.725-35-241.92.63.05-1229.41.83.0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Possible Starting Goalies:

vTtMcna.png

Possible Lineups:

YudytO7.png

Team Leaders:

GebHQwm.png

Game 1 Highlights

Islanders vs. Lightning - Game Recap - June 13, 2021 - ESPN

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Will be watching on delay.

Hoping the win yesterday does not go to their heads. Isles gotta be ready for a desperate Bolts team tomorrow night. Need to play with the same intensity and discipline as last night for success. Stay outta the box, forecheck like crazy, and bury the quality looks they get. Vasi isn’t gonna be giving any gifts

Reactions: JKP

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Tonights game is huge as the Islanders can take total control of this series with a win ! If we can somehow go up 2 games to 0 you just have to feel like our guys will at least split on Long Island a be up 3-1 but first things first win a game at a time starting with tonight !

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Hate the 8 pm start (2 am here), but hopefully I'll catch at least a period or two. Tampa will come out swinging after Monday, let's see what will happen.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
no idea what to think or say at this point. LGI! The boys earned the spot where they are in right here and right now! Stay focused

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
TB will be desperate, they do not want to go down 0-2. I am expecting a tougher game than Game 1. Varly will need to be sharp tonight. He looked good in game 1. More of the same, stay out of the box, don't take reactionary penalties, I have a feeling this one will be a chippy affair.

Reactions: Rengi

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Keys to the Game:

1. Varly not letting in an early goal.
2. Withstanding "The Push"
3. Not taking penalties
4. Barzal Barzal Barzal
5. Pageau Pageau Pageau

This is going to be a tough game, they need to come out physical and slow down TBL so they cannot execute their offense. Oh, and dont take penalties. NY SAINTS style!

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
TB will probably try to make this a parade to the box - the Isles can't take the bait.

As well as the Isles played and people say TB was out of synch, I thought the Isles were out of synch on some plays too. I think they can up their level too, in other words.

Trotz always talks about getting quality shots rather than quantity of shots. But I felt like the Isles were throwing pucks at the net a bit more than usual in game 1. Not sure if that observation is correct, but if so I wonder if it's by design. My guess is it's part of a strategy to simplify things and play north-south, get the puck deep and keep TB transition opportunities to a minimum.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Typo on Goodrow's stats in the GDT. He has 1 goal 0 assists.

Our 3rd line has been a lot more dangerous.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Ill be playing beach VBall and missing the first period, but Ill be here in thoughts!

LETS GO!!!!!!!

Reactions: Rengi

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
YUGE game 2. I'd love to just play an incredibly structured game again and come home up 2-0. I had a dream last night that it happened (I become a psychotic at this stage of the playoffs)

Lets go!!

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
TB will be desperate, they do not want to go down 0-2. I am expecting a tougher game than Game 1. Varly will need to be sharp tonight. He looked good in game 1. More of the same, stay out of the box, don't take reactionary penalties, I have a feeling this one will be a chippy affair.

I think Tampa is going to shoot from everywhere, and crash the net as much as possible. The Isles need to remain calm and hold the fort. If they can do that, they will demoralize them.

The Isles need to make every opportunity count.

Whatever happens, the Isles will still have home advantage...

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I don’t think the Isles have come remotely close in the last 20 years to going up 2-0 on the road even one time. The three cases I can recall where they had a chance to do it they got blown out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad