Post-Game Talk: #2| New York Islanders @ Boston Bruins | May 31ST | 7:30 PM | F/OTW 4-3

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I think some people are letting their hatred of Barstool, which I don't understand but cool, cloud their judgement of Frankie and the restaurant?

Frankie has never been obnoxious from what I've seen about the Isles. He's the reason tons of Barstool people even know the Islanders name. And despite what many people here think, a lot of people love Barstool. It gives hockey way more credit that ESPN ever has and that's a good thing. There's definitely some people on the site that I loathe, but overall it's not bad.

I don't act like they did going crazy with sports anymore, I'm not a college frat clown, but when you're being livestreamed and surrounded by people you're gonna get way more into it. So I don't hate it. I could see myself acting way more intense at an outing with a group of fans of both teams. Just natural.

Barstool aside, so glad I stayed up for that game. Awful third period that had me dreading overtime, but what a freaking exciting win! Glad to go home 1-1.

The clip of him going insane on the Boston fan Grinnelli is a little much, but he's right. The guy claims to be the biggest Bruins fan but went partying with the Blues after they beat his so-called favorite team.

I don't care if it was an all expenses paid trip, I couldn't party with the team that just beat mine in the Cup.

Reactions: joekono

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
The clip of him going insane on the Boston fan Grinnelli is a little much, but he's right. The guy claims to be the biggest Bruins fan but went partying with the Blues after they beat his so-called favorite team.

I don't care if it was an all expenses paid trip, I couldn't party with the team that just beat mine in the Cup.

I definitely agree there. I don't know many diehard Bruins fans. Everyone jumps on them in the playoffs because "bahstan sports is wicked awesome" but can't name more than a few players. They know the Sox and Pats, but not the same with Bruins.

More often than not if someone is rockin Isles gear or claims them, they know the team and hockey overall.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Those last 2 goals shouldn’t happen. I’m not laying the blame on Varly per se, but either step up and make a play on the puck carrier or get out of the way. One way or another, you can’t let 2 goals in in the 3rd period from that distance. They were perfect shots to be sure but at least make them work to tie it up.

Marchand's might have gone in even if he saw it. I'm pretty sure he saw neither one though. The one goal I believe that Sorokin stops is the first...he definitely gets all the way across and closes off the far side of the net. I am not sure though if Sorokin makes some of the other big saves though which were made.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Some Boston fans complained about the refereeing last night. I don't get it to be honest? Did they miss that blatant cross check to the back of Mayfield's head by Debrusk? Not only was it a non call by the Zebras, but they called an Islander penalty right after that where Marchand tied the game. Isles almost had a W taken away from them. That was a brutal non call, Mayfield has been huge for the Isles this playoffs, luckily he looks okay. Also, I started to notice Dobson getting stronger as the game went on. If this is the case, this is going to be huge for the Isles. It was unfortunate he screened Varly on the Bergeron shot, he needs to be better there. But it looks like he took a step fwd last night. Hope this is the case.
Dobson coming along. Was looking like our worst D when Playoffs started but climbing the ladder as things evolve. Mayfield has been solid. People bitch about him, but in this type of series he brings what's needed. Hitting has been something else this series, Like 2 heavyweights going at it.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Marchand's might have gone in even if he saw it. I'm pretty sure he saw neither one though. The one goal I believe that Sorokin stops is the first...he definitely gets all the way across and closes off the far side of the net. I am not sure though if Sorokin makes some of the other big saves though which were made.
Agreed but Sorokin, a.k.a. Gumby, would be saved the first goal.
His agility and flexibility are off the charts.

Varly was very good last night so no regrets.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just noticed the TOI of the dmen and everyone was between 28 min ( leddy , Pulock ) to 23 min ( Greene) except for Dobson who had only 13 min.

Tough spot for Trotz in that Dobson is our best pp qb but doesn’t bring enough jam right now for a regular shift. That’s going to be tough on the rest of our d to sustain over a 7 game series.

Do you go to 7 D and double shift your forwards? May not be as much of an issue at home I think this may be the way to go at least on the road.
No way. As long as we are generally allowing 2-3 goals a game we are giving ourselves a chance to win every night. We're going to have to deal with Dobson's shielded minutes until we really spring a leak defensively. As of now I'll consider Game 1 an outlier.

Reactions: BarzyClub

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think some people are letting their hatred of Barstool, which I don't understand but cool, cloud their judgement of Frankie and the restaurant?

Frankie has never been obnoxious from what I've seen about the Isles. He's the reason tons of Barstool people even know the Islanders name. And despite what many people here think, a lot of people love Barstool. It gives hockey way more credit that ESPN ever has and that's a good thing. There's definitely some people on the site that I loathe, but overall it's not bad.

I don't act like they did going crazy with sports anymore, I'm not a college frat clown, but when you're being livestreamed and surrounded by people you're gonna get way more into it. So I don't hate it. I could see myself acting way more intense at an outing with a group of fans of both teams. Just natural.

Barstool aside, so glad I stayed up for that game. Awful third period that had me dreading overtime, but what a freaking exciting win! Glad to go home 1-1.
I just think Frankie is a stooge. He's landed in a great spot career-wise but he's a clown.

If Portnoy's aim was to create a Howard Stern-like whack pack for sports bros it worked. Low hanging fruit. And Frankie Borelli is his Stuttering John.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
When Wally comes back does he go back in for Zajac? I think Zajac has been very good since he’s come in. I wonder what Trotz does. Love Wally and hope he is back because I think this is a great experience for his development but I think Zajac has been very solid in both ends.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I just think Frankie is a stooge. He's landed in a great spot career-wise but he's a clown.

If Portnoy's aim was to create a Howard Stern-like whack pack for sports bros it worked. Low hanging fruit. And Frankie Borelli is his Stuttering John.

Lol that's a pretty good analysis, but Portnoy is a decent human being unlike Stern. Both are arrogant and rich narcissists, but Howie is way more out of touch with regular people.

He does have a cast of characters who I don't care for like Stern. But Frankie isn't seen or heard from enough to be like Stuttering John. He rarely if ever talks during the pizza reviews and despite his Islanders fanship I've found him one of the more tolerable people at Barstool. I may be missing something though.

Reactions: MJF

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Dobson coming along. Was looking like our worst D when Playoffs started but climbing the ladder as things evolve. Mayfield has been solid. People bitch about him, but in this type of series he brings what's needed. Hitting has been something else this series, Like 2 heavyweights going at it.
I think Mayfield has been good. He takes the body, he plays greasy, he ties up the guy in front or tries to move them. He's a big boy with a nasty streak and I love his PO play. He's a little sketch skating it out and is prone to the occasional brain fart, but for what we pay him, I'm happy.

Leddy, however, has not been as strong as he should be and he's tried to skate when he should move it and tried to move it when he should skate. It's been weird.

And Dobber, while very much the future, is the weakest link in their own zone right now. I'm sure he'll get there, but he scares me right now more than not.

3, 4 & 6 have all been solid, IMO. I like a lot of the little things 4 does. Little picks, stick positioning. Think he's been solid.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
When Wally comes back does he go back in for Zajac? I think Zajac has been very good since he’s come in. I wonder what Trotz does. Love Wally and hope he is back because I think this is a great experience for his development but I think Zajac has been very solid in both ends.
I think so. Zajac has been ok for us but he was brought here for depth. No problem asking him to sit down and be ready to go. I want Wahlstrom back on the power play.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Lol that's a pretty good analysis, but Portnoy is a decent human being unlike Stern. Both are arrogant and rich narcissists, but Howie is way more out of touch with regular people.

He does have a cast of characters who I don't care for like Stern. But Frankie isn't seen or heard from enough to be like Stuttering John. He rarely if ever talks during the pizza reviews and despite his Islanders fanship I've found him one of the more tolerable people at Barstool. I may be missing something though.
I'll take your word for it. I don't click on anything they post.

I do follow Frankie on twitter but that's as far as I go with the whole Barstool thing.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I don't hate Barstool, it's generally not my cup of tea, but I'm a really big Chiclets fan. The schtick they have against Islanders fans is annoying, but otherwise it's a good show. I'm not plugged into everything Frankie does but I just don't like that over the top for views style. Is he a hardcore fan or is he doing a bit? I don't know, it's probably somewhere in the middle, but it's not for me. To each their own though.

And that goal just can't be allowed from Leddy. He's too good of a skater to get walked that badly.

I think Mayfield has been good. He takes the body, he plays greasy, he ties up the guy in front or tries to move them. He's a big boy with a nasty streak and I love his PO play. He's a little sketch skating it out and is prone to the occasional brain fart, but for what we pay him, I'm happy.

Leddy, however, has not been as strong as he should be and he's tried to skate when he should move it and tried to move it when he should skate. It's been weird.

And Dobber, while very much the future, is the weakest link in their own zone right now. I'm sure he'll get there, but he scares me right now more than not.

3, 4 & 6 have all been solid, IMO. I like a lot of the little things 4 does. Little picks, stick positioning. Think he's been solid.

Greene has been excellent in the playoffs. People talk about Barzal's anchor, but Greene has been dealing with a struggling defensive partner all playoffs long. He makes great decisions with the puck and I don't find myself worrying when someone is coming in on him 1 on 1 at all. He's cool, calm, and collected. He'll never light the lamp with any regularity, but he's the perfect bottom pairing guy.

Reactions: MJF and JKP

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

As someone who follows Barstool and finds much of their content entertaining, they were posting clips all night... when Boston scored the first goal, the Bruins guys at Borelli's were doing the same to Frankie.. its all part of the schtick.

As for Borelli's itself, I have fond memories of going there with my parents (RIP) before and after Isles games and other events at the Coli. I donated and bought a Borelli's shirt from Barstool to help keep them going during Covid, while they were giving out meals to essential workers. They've long been a part of the Isles fanbase DNA going back to the 80's, and even though there's better pizza elsewhere on the Island, I'll always have a soft spot for them.

Reactions: NittanyIsle

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
As someone who follows Barstool and finds much of their content entertaining, they were posting clips all night... when Boston scored the first goal, the Bruins guys at Borelli's were doing the same to Frankie.. its all part of the schtick.

As for Borelli's itself, I have fond memories of going there with my parents (RIP) before and after Isles games and other events at the Coli. I donated and bought a Borelli's shirt from Barstool to help keep them going during Covid, while they were giving out meals to essential workers. They've long been a part of the Isles fanbase DNA going back to the 80's, and even though there's better pizza elsewhere on the Island, I'll always have a soft spot for them.

True, they've created their own reality TV show without the extensive film crews and a network. It's worked out great for them.
I understand it's a schtick, but knowing the both of them since the beginning, Frankie really does live and die by the Isles. He went to every single game during the lean years (07-13) so he is one of us. When Grinnelli joined Spittin' Chiclets (pre-Biz) as the behind the scenes producer, the Bruins were his thing.
Like any reality TV show, once you lose yourself and become the character you are unlikable. That's where the two of them are headed.

Barstool story aside - I have a shirt as well and will always remember going there before the matinee games with my dad and brother. Always got really excited about going there before an Isles game and occasional Hofstra lax game.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
My God having to listen to McGuire sucks. Did anyone else hear him say "Beauvillier goes down unmolested"? That man is the real life Tobias Fünke, but not funny.

Reactions: TMI and MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad