Post-Game Talk: #2| New York Islanders @ Boston Bruins | May 31ST | 7:30 PM | F/OTW 4-3

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Okay, so after today I'm definitely not watching on Thursday - all I've seen was the first period and then went to sleep, maybe I should keep this up just in case... :laugh:

Reactions: Riseonfire

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Getting the last line change should be huge and allow Trotz to exploit some of the Bruins weaknesses. Just as big is if Craig Smith remains out. Not that I wish injury on any player, I would rather see both teams at full strength, but if the Isles have to play without Lee and Wahlstrom, so be it.

Letting Trotz dictate the matchups plus Smith out, let's see how good Taylor Hall is when more is expected of him. Bruins fans seem to have jumped on the Taylor Hall bandwagon rather quickly. I would love to see it come crashing down just as fast.

If the Isles can minimize that top line, it could present a real opportunity to capitalize on some of the Bruins weaknesses, like their bottom six, DeBrusk pushed into more minutes and a bigger role, Lauzon, Carlo who can be pressured into backbreaking mistakes, etc.

Reactions: MJF and cavs

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I disagree with your assessment of regulation. Thought it was fairly even but when the ice tilted, it really tilted. Boston has the more talented players though so it has more of a wow factor.

The difference is when the ice tilted the Bruins score. When the ice tilted our way, the Isles do not score enough.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Zeekers breakaway seemed like it took 10 seconds to complete. I was thinking to myself “oh come on finally do something (on this breakaway) this time!” like 3 times before he hit the back of the net

Reactions: periferal

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I'd love to see a game where our defense does not completely screen our goaltender leading to multiple goals a game.
And if I could add my pet peeve with this team , it's their inability to clear the zone. It's been a bugaboo of theirs for years now. Happy for the OT win but it should never have gotten to that point.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Is it just me or does the Bergeron line seem to always get the bounces and have the puck come to their stick? Yes - I concede that they are all excellent players, the whole is better than the sum of their parts, and they are prolly the best line in hockey, but they seem to get just about all 50/50 pucks as well. Maybe it’s because they’re just that good and know where to be but for whatever reason, the puck just stays on - or finds - their sticks more so than it seemingly should. Really frustrating to defend against. And watch.

they also seem to avoid taking big hits. The Isles have done a pretty decent job physically - playing against a very similar team that is just as tough. But I don’t remember Any or those 3 really taking a significant hit and they’ve definitely have been dishing it out. Would love someone to plaster Pasternak through the boards. Same with the other 2 really.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Is it just me or does the Bergeron line seem to always get the bounces and have the puck come to their stick? Yes - I concede that they are all excellent players, the whole is better than the sum of their parts, and they are prolly the best line in hockey, but they seem to get just about all 50/50 pucks as well. Maybe it’s because they’re just that good and know where to be but for whatever reason, the puck just stays on - or finds - their sticks more so than it seemingly should. Really frustrating to defend against. And watch.

they also seem to avoid taking big hits. The Isles have done a pretty decent job physically - playing against a very similar team that is just as tough. But I don’t remember Any or those 3 really taking a significant hit and they’ve definitely have been dishing it out. Would love someone to plaster Pasternak through the boards. Same with the other 2 really.

That line is very slippery. Machard is a wizard, unfortunately. Gonna have to get some puck luck to keep these quiet, but the Isles can do this. Best of 5 with three games at home. Roll the dice. LGI

Reactions: MJF

islesny88

Jan 15, 2020
Okay, so after today I'm definitely not watching on Thursday - all I've seen was the first period and then went to sleep, maybe I should keep this up just in case... :laugh:
Ox0BgQwhkVJ1kW40HKQPUixedGFqcdZmIdyCZ2VL2MKrco3UpAFuMqkeI78Zr5S0L3eBDdTyufheTrE-lcik4nOxaWfdd6J2xfYpsfOfDYfB9ZQbxUd4XjGCdngY7SlS3-jfau94U7ijPD5lhrwE7ZRF72U_DuI4YFw

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I'd love to see a game where our defense does not completely screen our goaltender leading to multiple goals a game.
Yeah. Dobson screened Varly pretty bad on one of those. The PP one at least Mayfield was kind of stuck between Marchand and Pasta and that one was probably going in even if Varly saw it.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Those last 2 goals shouldn’t happen. I’m not laying the blame on Varly per se, but either step up and make a play on the puck carrier or get out of the way. One way or another, you can’t let 2 goals in in the 3rd period from that distance. They were perfect shots to be sure but at least make them work to tie it up.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Talk about a great day . . .

Started with the Maryland-UVA title game, one of the greatest NCAA title games ever coming down to the last shot with UVA holding on for the 17-16 win . . .

Then a GREAT Italian meal with family friends, timed to make it home by 7:00

Watching Toronto IMPLODE AGAIN . . .

And topping it off with this amazing gut check win . . .

while monitoring the Leafs thread (I wasn't the only lurker from our posters . . . LOL . . .) - it went for 120 pages BEFORE the after-game of 30+ pages

Even fell into a deep sleep right after the game recap on NBCSN and the NHL Network

The only thing that would have made it better was waking up with a boner . . .

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
Just noticed the TOI of the dmen and everyone was between 28 min ( leddy , Pulock ) to 23 min ( Greene) except for Dobson who had only 13 min.

Tough spot for Trotz in that Dobson is our best pp qb but doesn’t bring enough jam right now for a regular shift. That’s going to be tough on the rest of our d to sustain over a 7 game series.

Do you go to 7 D and double shift your forwards? May not be as much of an issue at home I think this may be the way to go at least on the road.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Some Boston fans complained about the refereeing last night. I don't get it to be honest? Did they miss that blatant cross check to the back of Mayfield's head by Debrusk? Not only was it a non call by the Zebras, but they called an Islander penalty right after that where Marchand tied the game. Isles almost had a W taken away from them. That was a brutal non call, Mayfield has been huge for the Isles this playoffs, luckily he looks okay. Also, I started to notice Dobson getting stronger as the game went on. If this is the case, this is going to be huge for the Isles. It was unfortunate he screened Varly on the Bergeron shot, he needs to be better there. But it looks like he took a step fwd last night. Hope this is the case.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Talk about a great day . . .

Started with the Maryland-UVA title game, one of the greatest NCAA title games ever coming down to the last shot with UVA holding on for the 17-16 win . . .

Then a GREAT Italian meal with family friends, timed to make it home by 7:00

Watching Toronto IMPLODE AGAIN . . .

And topping it off with this amazing gut check win . . .

while monitoring the Leafs thread (I wasn't the only lurker from our posters . . . LOL . . .) - it went for 120 pages BEFORE the after-game of 30+ pages

Even fell into a deep sleep right after the game recap on NBCSN and the NHL Network

The only thing that would have made it better was waking up with a boner . . .

LOL.. you had nothing in the tank from the night before.....

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I think some people are letting their hatred of Barstool, which I don't understand but cool, cloud their judgement of Frankie and the restaurant?

Frankie has never been obnoxious from what I've seen about the Isles. He's the reason tons of Barstool people even know the Islanders name. And despite what many people here think, a lot of people love Barstool. It gives hockey way more credit that ESPN ever has and that's a good thing. There's definitely some people on the site that I loathe, but overall it's not bad.

I don't act like they did going crazy with sports anymore, I'm not a college frat clown, but when you're being livestreamed and surrounded by people you're gonna get way more into it. So I don't hate it. I could see myself acting way more intense at an outing with a group of fans of both teams. Just natural.

Barstool aside, so glad I stayed up for that game. Awful third period that had me dreading overtime, but what a freaking exciting win! Glad to go home 1-1.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00