Post-Game Talk: #2| New York Islanders @ Boston Bruins | May 31ST | 7:30 PM | F/OTW 4-3

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dobson only played 13 mins in game 1, he had a rough 3rd period. Not sure if the Isles would consider bringing in Coburn. He's a vet, has lots of playoff exp and may give the Isles a little stronger defensive presence. In the 3 games he played for the Isles in the regular season he has yet to be scored on 5 v 5.

IIlya4Life

Jun 6, 2014
Dobson only played 13 mins in game 1, he had a rough 3rd period. Not sure if the Isles would consider bringing in Coburn. He's a vet, has lots of playoff exp and may give the Isles a little stronger defensive presence. In the 3 games he played for the Isles in the regular season he has yet to be scored on 5 v 5.

no question Dobson should be replaced this game by Coburn. Dobson is a kid, only 21, not to mention defensemen games take much longer to develop. I am confident we have a player soon there but he’s just not ready yet for playoff level hockey.

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I’d rather Hickey over Coburn. Coburn is a freakin’ pylon.

I’d still go with Dobson though and play around 12-15 minutes.
Pelech and Pulock should play 22-25 every playoff game.
It’s big boy hockey

Last edited:
Reactions: The Wahligator

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
no question Dobson should be replaced this game by Coburn. Dobson is a kid, only 21, not to mention defensemen games take much longer to develop. I am confident we have a player soon there but he’s just not ready yet for playoff level hockey.
Isles have the flexibility this year to make adjustments. It's the reason why Lou made the trade. Coburn is not going to light up the score board, but he's a seasoned vet, who will not be intimidated playing in Boston. It's not punishment as much as stabilizing the D with safe 13 mins that Dobson would play. Dobson is going to be a huge part of the Isles, agree 100% there.

Reactions: JKP

SI

Feb 16, 2013
IMO - Varlamov will get the nod in net.

Trotz already said he will go with the same 18 skaters, so Dobson will remain in the lineup.

To get that 1st line going - I hope Trotz moves Beau up to play with Barzal and Eberle. Beau and Barzal have synergy together and Beau’s game may help Maty elevate.

Palmieri moves up to play with Nelson and Bailey.
Komarov moves down to play Zajac and Pageau.

better Gap control and getting more shots on net and stay out of the box and continue to punish them with big hits

They can take game 2 and even this series

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
IMO - Varlamov will get the nod in net.

Trotz already said he will go with the same 18 skaters, so Dobson will remain in the lineup.

To get that 1st line going - I hope Trotz moves Beau up to play with Barzal and Eberle. Beau and Barzal have synergy together and Beau’s game may help Maty elevate.

Palmieri moves up to play with Nelson and Bailey.
Komarov moves down to play Zajac and Pageau.

better Gap control and getting more shots on net and stay out of the box and continue to punish them with big hits

They can take game 2 and even this series
I would not be against those moves. I also wonder without last change, if Trotz will split up Pelech and Pulock. Regardless of what the Isles do, they all have to be harder on the Bergeron line. They can't let them run around the ice being the players that are more physical on Isles players than vice versa. That was inexcusable in my mind. Be hard on them as they were on Crosby. And we will see a more positive result.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I actually don't mind a checking line of Pageau, Palmieri and Komarov. The player that makes the Bruins #1 line go is Marchand. He is a small guy, but he was very physical against the Isles. He is also a guy that can lose his cool. Komarov would be the ideal player to take him off his game. Pageau, Palmieri and Komarov are 3 of the Isles best defensive players metrics wise also. The Bruins rely on that line, Isles need to key on them. Make life miserable for them on the ice.

And another thing, Barzal needs to play better, regardless of who he is playing with. It's on him, and no one else.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So Sorokin finally gets an L and people are calling for Varly in net? Ok.....

Get Komarov off the f***ing first line

Varlamov is still very good and Sorokin didn't look great during the outing, he wasn't bad but nothing like we saw a couple games ago. He's not to blame for the loss but I don't have a problem with either goalie starting at this point.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I would not be against those moves. I also wonder without last change, if Trotz will split up Pelech and Pulock. Regardless of what the Isles do, they all have to be harder on the Bergeron line. They can't let them run around the ice being the players that are more physical on Isles players than vice versa. That was inexcusable in my mind. Be hard on them as they were on Crosby. And we will see a more positive result.

They absolutely cannot split up Pelech and Pulock.

I agree they gave that line too much space - Better gap control and make it much more difficult for them to play their game.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Woke up today and the game day message is be a lot harder on Pasta and Marchand. Take their time and space away, finish the checks on them every chance they get. Would nice to see Nelson use his size for a change. They seem to be out against that line a lot.

Reactions: JKP

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Based on this, I am surmising Sorokin will be in net for game 2.
Changes within the line up.

Think this means Palmieri to the #1 line. Komarov to Pageau line. We will see. I also think Nelson's line was weak defensively in game 1. Could be a Beauvillier/Komarov switch.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

Think this means Palmieri to the #1 line. Komarov to Pageau line. We will see. I also think Nelson's line was weak defensively in game 1. Could be a Beauvillier/Komarov switch.

Time to start treating Sorokin like the franchise. And time for Sorokin to prove he's worthy of it.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018

One would hope that is what it means. Absolutely a must to get Barzal going and Pags is the obvious choice (not Palmieri)

He isn't going to break up the second line, so I would be shocked if Beau is moved.

Most people don't know that Pags finished with over 100 hits in the regular season (111) and has had seasons where he has had over 150. He can do some board work.

It has been an absolute drubbing in the last 4 games at Boston where we have been outscored 18-8 and outshot by 63. Pags had early season success as well as Matty against them, plus he can win face offs.

Last four at Boston (0-4):

Matt Barzal (2 for 13) .154
Leo Komarov (2 for 13)
Jean Gabriel Pageau (40 for 71) .563

Zajac can center the third line. As an Islander he sits at 59.6% on face offs and has won close to 55% throughout his playoff career; so he is more than capable.

Hopefully he and Palms can find some of their old magic. Would have been nice if Ollie was ready to return however.

Pags-Barzal-Eberle
Beau-Nelson-Bailey
Komarov-Zajac-Palmieri
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

With the exception of getting a healthy Ollie back in there in game 3 at home for Leo, I would run this lineup the rest of the way

As for Varly, here are his game logs against Boston this season:

G1 vs Boston: (W) 27/27 SHO
G2 vs Boston: (W) 30/28 .933
G3 vs Boston: (W) 36/34 .944
G4 vs Boston: (W) 33/32 .970
G5 at Boston: (W) 32/29 .906
G6 at Boston: (L) 44/41 .942
G7 at Boston: (ND) 27/25 .926

Total (5-1-0) 229/216 .943

3 goals or less in all 7 starts, so let's hope for the same and yes I would go with him over Sorokin.

Sorokin has not looked as sharp against them:

G1 at Boston: (L) 27/25 .926
G2 at Boston: (L/OT) 11/10 .909
G3 at Boston: (L) 39/35 .897

Total (0-2-1) 77/70 .909

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I'm already tired of seeing Marchand.

And Pastrnak... gotta admit, he's looking like the best pure sniper going right now.

But this team is beatable and our boys will figure it out.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I actually don't mind a checking line of Pageau, Palmieri and Komarov. The player that makes the Bruins #1 line go is Marchand. He is a small guy, but he was very physical against the Isles. He is also a guy that can lose his cool. Komarov would be the ideal player to take him off his game. Pageau, Palmieri and Komarov are 3 of the Isles best defensive players metrics wise also. The Bruins rely on that line, Isles need to key on them. Make life miserable for them on the ice.

And another thing, Barzal needs to play better, regardless of who he is playing with. It's on him, and no one else.
This makes more sense when we're playing at home, and have last change.

Reactions: MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
One would hope that is what it means. Absolutely a must to get Barzal going and Pags is the obvious choice (not Palmieri)

He isn't going to break up the second line, so I would be shocked if Beau is moved.

Most people don't know that Pags finished with over 100 hits in the regular season (111) and has had seasons where he has had over 150. He can do some board work.

It has been an absolute drubbing in the last 4 games at Boston where we have been outscored 18-8 and outshot by 63. Pags had early season success as well as Matty against them, plus he can win face offs.

Last four at Boston (0-4):

Matt Barzal (2 for 13) .154
Leo Komarov (2 for 13)
Jean Gabriel Pageau (40 for 71) .563

Zajac can center the third line. As an Islander he sits at 59.6% on face offs and has won close to 55% throughout his playoff career; so he is more than capable.

Hopefully he and Palms can find some of their old magic. Would have been nice if Ollie was ready to return however.

Pags-Barzal-Eberle
Beau-Nelson-Bailey
Komarov-Zajac-Palmieri
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

With the exception of getting a healthy Ollie back in there in game 3 at home for Leo, I would run this lineup the rest of the way

As for Varly, here are his game logs against Boston this season:

G1 vs Boston: (W) 27/27 SHO
G2 vs Boston: (W) 30/28 .933
G3 vs Boston: (W) 36/34 .944
G4 vs Boston: (W) 33/32 .970
G5 at Boston: (W) 32/29 .906
G6 at Boston: (L) 44/41 .942
G7 at Boston: (ND) 27/25 .926

Total (5-1-0) 229/216 .943

3 goals or less in all 7 starts, so let's hope for the same and yes I would go with him over Sorokin.

Sorokin has not looked as sharp against them:

G1 at Boston: (L) 27/25 .926
G2 at Boston: (L/OT) 11/10 .909
G3 at Boston: (L) 39/35 .897

Total (0-2-1) 77/70 .909
I get what you are saying, Barzal has got to get going and I agree. But I still say this has to come within Barzal. Been saying this since the Pittsburg series. He's got to change it up. The east west stuff of pulling up and passing it to a D man is not going to work. He's got to get down low in the middle of the ice and get dirty. He's got a front seat of seeing how the Bruins top line gets into the dirty areas. Learn and do the same. I know Barzal is a tough kid, he needs to draw on this for game 2. Maybe he might even get a call from the Zebras. It wouldn't matter who he plays with if he is playing the perimeter game that may work in the regular season, but not so much against good defensive teams in the playoffs. Mathew needs to adjust and do it fast. Games are running out.

Reactions: MJF

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
They’ll either win 2-0 or 3-1 tonight or lose in like OT or 2-1 or 3-2 on some sort of late goal. I’ve seen Trotz teams enough following bad playoff losses to know how things play out in the ensuing game. Even if they lose tonight this isn’t over. Boston is very much still a 1 and a half line team which means they’ll have a very tough time on the road which we saw for sure even against the Caps.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
My guess is Hickey would come in before Coburn. I only say this because Coburn didn't take warmups once during the Pens series. Hickey was out there before every game.

I would prefer Coburn's size and wing span while defending over Hickey's I don't know what.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Woke up today and the game day message is be a lot harder on Pasta and Marchand. Take their time and space away, finish the checks on them every chance they get. Would nice to see Nelson use his size for a change. They seem to be out against that line a lot.
When did Nelson ever use his size?

I like the way Nelson has played for us since Trotz got here but Nelson's not going to change his spots at this stage of his career.

Reactions: The Real JT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->