Post-Game Talk: #2| New York Islanders @ Boston Bruins | May 31ST | 7:30 PM | F/OTW 4-3

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Varly had a 2 game leash in round 1, Sorokin deserves the same. If Varly starts tonight and we win, we are not seeing Soro until October.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nelson should go back and watch playoff games from the glory years. It always surprised/impressed me how physical EVERYONE was in the playoffs. While Bossy was never a very physical player, I recall him finishing his checks in the playoffs. I recall everyone doing so, even the players who were generally less physical.
Bossy was one of the toughest players I recall. Deep respect for him. He paid a price, either standing in the scoring area taking abuse, or playing terrific 2 way hockey. That's what some will not remember from him, besides being one of the greatest goal scorers in the history of the game, he was one hell of a good defensive player. You don't have to put players through the boards, just rub them out. It's strange seeing Nelson passing up hit after hit. It's playoff hockey.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
While your here… what’s the story behind you and your board’s playoff avatars? Have that 80’s-esque styling.
The guys dressed up in 80's/90's gear in Lake Tahoe so we decided to use that as a theme since that trip brought the team closer together.

Nick Ritchie found a track suit that looked like those dixie cups you find in people's bathrooms.

I tried to find 80's like font and used really loud and neon colors for text and backgrounds to create em.

Reactions: CupHolders

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Make of this what you will

Just looked up the head to head match ups with Varly in against Boston, he was 5-1-1 this year against them. Add that to the conjecture. I don't think Sorokin was at fault for game 1, he kept them in there until the 3rd. But noting that Varly has been hugely successful against the B's this year. If Varly is playing tonight it should not surprise us at all.

Reactions: JKP and MJF

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Amazing how the injury to Anders Lee upsets the balance of our lineup ::sigh::

Anders Lee, wears down the opponents in the corners and front of the net.

Additionally, he’s an offensive threat in front of the net that teams have to cover, at times with two players.

All of that leads to open space that Barzal and Eberle no longer have. Those twosome have been unable to adjust.

I think Barzal still has a chance, as long as he simplifies his game and focuses on just getting his shot through the defense and on net. Maybe it can create rebounds or bounces. But shoot first mentality is not in his DNA.

Eberle is a lost cause without players doing the physical puck retrieval to allow him to find open space. He can’t win the boards and I don’t recall him ever scoring a goal while physically holding off a player. His scores all come when he is alone with time, then he’s pretty lethal. But again without a heavy presence to assist him, he has to hope for blown coverage from his opponents to gain that space.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I will say this, a lot of young talented players and some not so young talented players have been shut down this playoffs. Barzal at this point is not exclusive to this. I know we are being hard on him. But look around the league who have been ousted, and who remain. It's not only Barzal.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Craig Smith is out for us so Jake DeBrusk moves up into his spot on the 2nd line and Karson Kuhlman draws in on the 3rd line for us.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just looked up the head to head match ups with Varly in against Boston, he was 5-1-1 this year against them. Add that to the conjecture. I don't think Sorokin was at fault for game 1, he kept them in there until the 3rd. But noting that Varly has been hugely successful against the B's this year. If Varly is playing tonight it should not surprise us at all.
Again, Varly's 5 wins came against the Bruins before they traded for Taylor Hall. I take whatever happened earlier in the season, before Hall, in the games we faced them without Pastrnak and without Bergeron, and throw them out the window.

Reactions: PK Cronin

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Again, Varly's 5 wins came against the Bruins before they traded for Taylor Hall. I take whatever happened earlier in the season, before Hall, in the games we faced them without Pastrnak and without Bergeron, and throw them out the window.
That is a factor, I also will say that after the Isles added Palmieri and Zajac, the Isles seemed to be in a quirky stage. They were not hitting on all cylinders. That 7th game the Isles played Boston they were not good. The last game of the year was more of a true measure. If I recall that game it was very close. Isles may have been better. Hall scored late, it was sort of a heart breaking loss, though at that stage they were just jockeying for position. Since then, Palmieri has upped his game immensely. Isles are not the same team either since game 7 of their season series. The loss of Lee, yep that one did hurt since he always seem to play well against the B's.

Reactions: MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
BTW, I think Trotz has already told which Russian Goaltender is starting tonight. Why not milk an edge by keeping your opponents guessing. I am sure they practice shooting on which Goalie they are expecting to face. In that case, let's just find out before puck drop. As Trotz says he can't make a bad decision. It is an organizational strength. We know Rask is in tonight on the other hand. No guessing needed there.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Of course they do. That's what a video coach is for. Why it's important for a fan to know, I can't say.
So the players are told where to shoot on each goalie. Doesn't change the game plan or practice. Show up and play, whoever is in net. When you shoot, shoot accordingly when possible.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
BTW, I think Trotz has already told which Russian Goaltender is starting tonight. Why not milk an edge by keeping your opponents guessing. I am sure they practice shooting on which Goalie they are expecting to face. In that case, let's just find out before puck drop. As Trotz says he can't make a bad decision. It is an organizational strength. We know Rask is in tonight on the other hand. No guessing needed there.
Oh, he definitely told the goalies which one is playing. Probably told them yesterday.

I don't think it works that way. They don't practice as a team, shooting high or low based on expected goalie, then show up and say damn were screwed it's a different goalie.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Bossy was one of the toughest players I recall. Deep respect for him. He paid a price, either standing in the scoring area taking abuse, or playing terrific 2 way hockey. That's what some will not remember from him, besides being one of the greatest goal scorers in the history of the game, he was one hell of a good defensive player. You don't have to put players through the boards, just rub them out. It's strange seeing Nelson passing up hit after hit. It's playoff hockey.
I don't want to see the players rubbing them out.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't think it works that way. They don't practice as a team, shooting high or low based on expected goalie, then show up and say damn were screwed it's a different goalie.
No, but I think it goes back to preparation. A lot of players visualize before a game. You see it when they sit on the bench before a game visualizing their movements, including shots. It's repetition, Crosby was as good practicing this than any player I know recently. Goalies have different styles. I do believe not knowing who is in net and not being able to practice to their tendencies is an edge IMO.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
True about Bossy, and it probably shortened his career. That bad back came from somewhere.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I am actually ok with either of them in net. Solid cases could be made for both of them.

I am just hoping for not the same status quo when it comes to the lines, and since you simply aren't changing your second and fourth lines then it needs to be 1 and 3.

Outshot by 63 and outscored by 10 in the last 4 games in Boston. Another game like that isn't going to bode well.

Can't continue to lose face-offs at the rate we are losing them either, particularly Leo/Matt's 4 face off wins compared to 22 face off losses ratio in the last 4 trips to TD Garden.

I hope it is Pags on the top line, I really do. The more I analyze it the more I think that solves much of our woes. I also think we need Wahlstrom back as soon as possible.

Tonight is an absolute must win. A loss would mean the near impossible task of needing to win 4 straight or winning game seven in Boston. It is exactly why I think he needs to make a BOLD move like Pags on the top line NOW....

TGI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Then the first line becomes even softer and easier to play against.

Swapping Beau for Leo doesn't make that line easier for the Bruins to play against.
Barzal + Beau speed would create headaches for the Bruins and Beau ain't a soft player, especially on the boards.
It would be an aggressive move and really take aim at Boston.

The problem with this move would be downgrading Nelson's line.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Swapping Beau for Leo doesn't make that line easier for the Bruins to play against.
Barzal + Beau speed would create headaches for the Bruins and Beau ain't a soft player, especially on the boards.
It would be an aggressive move and really take aim at Boston.

The problem with this move would be downgrading Nelson's line.
I don’t think the way the Bruins backcheck that Barzal with Beau on it will be outskating anyone the Bruins put out there against them. They were smothering against the Capitals and they did the same to us in the 3rd period.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
We didn’t lose game 1 because of goaltending. I’m shocked that this is even a discussion. Don’t turn pucks over and get more shots on their net.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad