Post-Game Talk: #2: FLYERS 4 vs. Devils 0, Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2019, 7:30 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Talent matters:

Hayes was a big upgrade over last year's Patrick
Lindblom has taken a step up, TK is over his Gordon hangover, of course, they're 23 and 22, why would you expect them to improve?
Braun and Niskanen are as advertised, past their physical peak but smart, reliable veteran defensemen who anchor the defense
Twarynski and Bunnaman add size and speed over Weise, Lehtera, Knight and Varone
Pitlick is a solid 4th line forward

A deeper, faster, bigger, more physical team.

And fit matters:

One reason Hagg is in there over Myers is he's been coached to KISS, Myers right now tries to do too much and that's a bad fit with Ghost.
Hagg played better last year with Ghost than Myers, and we're seeing the same this year. Sometimes less is more.

Ghost-Hagg: CF 49.14%, xGF 57.81% [2017-18: CF 45.50%, xGF 46.44%]
Ghost-Myers: CF 47.06%, xGF 37.82%
Small samples, but Myers is used to being the "man", so is Ghost, so they may not mesh well right now.

Down the road, maybe Morin/Myers is a good pairing, but if Provorov/Braun and Sanheim/Niskanen are working well, that leaves Ghost without a spot. If you pair Ghost with Provorov or Sanheim, you suppress their development (only one puck, and Ghost isn't a stay at home defender). But things change over a season.

I think Lindblom - Couts - TK was an experiment, much like moving Giroux to LW with Couts, but it's working so well AV will probably ride with it for a while, it's important for a HC to find different combos that work, b/c injuries will happen.

G -Hayes - Voracek may not be ideal, but they're all talented and experienced, maybe they just need time.
JVR is a bit lost with Laughton as his center, changes will be made down the road.
It's Frost's job to take, but AV expects kids to earn a spot, not be gifted one.

Twarynski is working out right now at 3RW, it's not permanent, but it makes him more valuable with that experience (you want bottom six guys who can move around as needed, like Raffl at 4C).

Bunnaman is getting good experience and holding his own, but he's probably the most vulnerable of the top 12 when Patrick returns/Frost or Farabee force their way up/Rubtsov shows he's ready.

Nothing is set in stone, I can see moves being made after they return from the road, depending on how the team looks the next three games, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Reactions: phillydownsouth

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
SANHEIM RELIABLE?!?!
giphy.gif

Only at ES, where he led the team in ice time with 17:04.

New Jersey Devils @ Philadelphia Flyers, 2019-10-09

Can't be trusted on the PP so he only got 18 seconds there.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Was a fun game to watch. Really like how this team plays.

That being said, I do think we need to improve the bottom 6. Like typical coaches, doubt they make ANY changes being 2-0 but right now we are relying on our top 6 fully for points. Tar & Laughton on the 4th line would be great. Not on the 3rd line though. Need abit more bunch offensively there.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
If Patrick comes back and is able to slot in at 3C, we're going to have a tremendous 4th line with Laughton centering Raffl and Pitlick. Obviously would love to see Farabee come in at RW in Twar's spot, but not a huge deal.

In a perfect world, we're looking at being about a month away from having Patrick at 3C, Farabee at 3RW, Laughton at 4C and Myers partnered with Ghost, with Bunnaman & Twar being waived and Hagg being scratched.

Reactions: Rebels57

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
So here are my quick notes from the game:

-Couts and Lindblom together are incredible. I have a feeling Lindblom will be criminally underrated in a few years by many fans, both in the area and nationally.
-Congrats to Hart for his SO. Obviously awesome save.
-An aggressive forecheck caused the turnover for TKs goal. 8 minutes left in the 3rd, and up by 3 goals, and their still attempting applying pressure to the D. That's a situation where Lindblom and Couts both deserved points.
-Hagg played pretty well last night. He actually walked the line once or twice. At one point, he attempted a shot pass to JvR (I think) who was in the high slot. It didn't come off, but at least he's attempting to do a bit more than fire his pop-gun shot into the goalies chest. He was also physical at times, in the right way, not chasing checks too much. I still believe that at the very least Myers is a better choice but I'll give him credit on a good night.
- I do worry about the makeup of the forward lines and defensive pairs. I don't think they are sustainable; however, I'm happy they played at the tempo they did for the majority of the game. It was a fun game to watch.

@JojoTheWhale do you have any sites that provide entry/exit per game data?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Love it.

Flyers shut out that oh-so-skilled Devils team that added Hughes, Gusev, & Subban, while laying a 4-spot on them even with their goalie playing well.

I’ve been saying it for months now, but NJ’s defensive play is gonna be a huge problem.

The Flyers have really cranked up their play under Vigneault. The 1-2-2 trap they’re playing is terrific. It’s not a passive one — they’re jumping traps & creating turnovers. Obviously the PK looks way better. Hart was awesome last night, & the importance of goaltending cannot be overstated. Couturier & Lindblom have great chemistry. The D on this team have full permission to go in deep. Been fun to watch so far. They just need Patrick back or Farabee to earn a call-up to bolster the 3rd line.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Was a fun game to watch. Really like how this team plays.

That being said, I do think we need to improve the bottom 6. Like typical coaches, doubt they make ANY changes being 2-0 but right now we are relying on our top 6 fully for points. Tar & Laughton on the 4th line would be great. Not on the 3rd line though. Need abit more bunch offensively there.
I guess Raffl didn't score in either of the two games...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I meant last season when this team went to the ****ter.

And how many points did Coots have those seasons. Hint not 2C production

Imagine going back to this old chestnut in 2019.:biglaugh:

He had 62 ESP in only 129 games, (42 ESP per 82 games) which is the kind of production we'd be more than happy to get out of Hayes. Giroux had 64 ESP in 160 games, and Schenn had 64 in 159. Are you claiming Schenn was the 2C?

NHL.com - Stats

Reactions: Rebels57

phillydownsouth

Giroux is your daddy
Sep 18, 2019
Love it.

Flyers shut out that oh-so-skilled Devils team that added Hughes, Gusev, & Subban, while laying a 4-spot on them even with their goalie playing well.

I’ve been saying it for months now, but NJ’s defensive play is gonna be a huge problem.

The Flyers have really cranked up their play under Vigneault. The 1-2-2 trap they’re playing is terrific. It’s not a passive one — they’re jumping traps & creating turnovers. Obviously the PK looks way better. Hart was awesome last night, & the importance of goaltending cannot be overstated. Couturier & Lindblom have great chemistry. The D on this team have full permission to go in deep. Been fun to watch so far. They just need Patrick back or Farabee to earn a call-up to bolster the 3rd line.

Was so funny reading all the Athletic tinfoil hatters in preseason. "We have a top D core now!" ... "We have a chance to win the division now!" ha ha ha

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
i give hextall alot of credit of how he built this team but if he just fired hakstol, everything would have been different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad