Post-Game Talk: #2: FLYERS 4 vs. Devils 0, Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2019, 7:30 pm ET

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Love what I’m seeing with the systems.

Also, not to be undersold: being able to throw Kevin Hayes out there at center in addition to Couturier is a huge difference maker, & Niskanen & Braun are significant upgrades to the D.
Yep, all three add so much depth. Hayes completes our top 6 and Braun and Niskanen provide some much needed options on defense.

There's still room for improvement with our bottom 6. Right now we essentially have two 1st lines and two 4th lines. But once Patrick returns and one of Frost/Farabee join the team, we'll have a pretty well-balanced lineup.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It's actually really fitting that a player like Konecny is popping off in the first year without Simmonds. I don't think you can really say that any two players, outside of Giroux, more embody what it means to be a Flyer, so it's essentially a passing of the torch.
Year 4, age 22... prime breakout territory.

Reactions: Juicy Pop

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Yep, all three add so much depth. Hayes completes our top 6 and Braun and Niskanen provide some much needed options on defense.

There's still room for improvement with our bottom 6. Right now we essentially have two 1st lines and two 4th lines. But once Patrick returns and one of Frost/Farabee join the team, we'll have a pretty well-balanced lineup.
I agree completely.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Year 4, age 22... prime breakout territory.

It's still a lot of variables, but if Konecny can somehow magically transform into our Marchand with all these steals, if Provorov can just be a reliable goddamn #1, if Hart can be the culmination of this side of the state's suffering... then all will be well. Still a big ask; I'm terribly pessimistic.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
It's still a lot of variables, but if Konecny can somehow magically transform into our Marchand with all these steals, if Provorov can just be a reliable goddamn #1, if Hart can be the culmination of this side of the state's suffering... then all will be well. Still a big ask; I'm terribly pessimistic.
Marchand is a great player; I don’t think Konecny is there yet & probably never will be, but Konecny is certainly capable of 60 points & hopefully he keeps getting better like Marchand did.

If the Flyers can bolster their 3rd line & someone steps up as a legit #1 D, oh boy. They’ll be dangerous.

Reactions: Juicy Pop

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
This was an example of good Provorov. I think Provorov is best when he's carrying the puck and when he's driving the net. His mistakes come when he's pressured in his own end or when he has to make decisions with the puck on the PP.
We rarely agree, but I agree with you here.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I know this isn’t on topic but I will not rest until the WFC is singing Carter Hart’s name to the tune of Baby Shark in unison. Printing pamphlets and ****. Tell your friends.
I've already been doing this so its got a decent chance of catching on

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'm friends with Ken Daneyko but I actually despise the Devils way more than the Rangers or Penguins. I hope they never make the playoffs.

I posted once or twice before about this I believe...

but I always really liked Daneyko - as an analyst!

Pretty darn unbiased, and for a guy who played the game in that era and the way he did is no "dinosaur", and actually seems to be more progressive in his analysis than people 20 years younger.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I posted once or twice before about this I believe...

but I always really liked Daneyko - as an analyst!

Pretty darn unbiased, and for a guy who played the game in that era and the way he did is no "dinosaur", and actually seems to be more progressive in his analysis than people 20 years younger.

I met him playing poker. He was impressed that I knew so much about his era of hockey. He's told me some cool stories.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
That game last night was something else. Took em a little while to get their legs but once they did they took control of the game.
So this what its like to have good special teams. The aggressive PK was forcing so many bad passes that went out of the zone. Hayes had a wtf moment on the faceoff violation. That 3 on 5 kill was something to be hold. They are going to be talking about that save by Hart for quite awhile. I was a one man standing ovation after the 2nd period. Goddamn that was fun to watch.
I don’t know what puck possession was the last 40 minutes but NJ did not have the puck very much other than the 5 on 3.
Carter Hart has liquid nitrogen in his veins.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers faced two weak teams that play a style that's very vulnerable to their aggressive forechecking and trapping.
Vancouver may also be vulnerable.

After that it'll get tougher, but the Flyers should also be much better in a couple months when the veterans get comfortable with AV's schemes and they become second nature. At that point it'll be easier to work in prospects in bigger roles, b/c they'll have veterans who can help guide them instead of looking just as confused.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
This was an example of good Provorov. I think Provorov is best when he's carrying the puck and when he's driving the net. His mistakes come when he's pressured in his own end or when he has to make decisions with the puck on the PP.

So he's basically Fowler but better. I'm alright with this.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
So he's basically Fowler but better. I'm alright with this.

That's actually probably a good comp.

We outplayed them and would have won regarless. Last year even with that save we would have lost. AV has the team except a few playing solid and should get better. I'm happy for a change lol.

Definitely think they woujld have lost one of these two games last year. Had Hakstol flashbacks against Chicago and expected them to give up the patented last-minute goal and lose in OT. Killing off two 5-on-3s would have been impossible last year.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's actually probably a good comp.

Definitely think they woujld have lost one of these two games last year. Had Hakstol flashbacks against Chicago and expected them to give up the patented last-minute goal and lose in OT. Killing off two 5-on-3s would have been impossible last year.

The incredibly passive PK run under Hakstol would have had the virtue of seeing the 5 on 3s end quickly though.

Reactions: Rebels57

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don't if you're serious or not as I can't really hear the song when I am watching on TV. If you are serious, I feel bad for everyone in the WFC because that song is awful. The song title is a little more than ironic to me. YMMV.

I posted that a long time before I realized that Van Halen was on the table, so your terrible taste in Britpop won't effect us moving forward. I am full-speed ahead on "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad