GDT: 2/5/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
You can call it a conspiracy theory, but that game was definitely not called nearly as tight as prior games. It took a blatant stick holding by Coburn at the end for them to notice anything.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
You can call it a conspiracy theory, but that game was definitely not called nearly as tight as prior games. It took a blatant stick holding by Coburn at the end for them to notice anything.

I know its negatively frowned upon to conspire like that but I just cant help it in a loss like that. I kept saying to myself last night, how the hell has it taken this long to score a goal?? Maybe Philly just played their best last night. They did play hard and much better than that first game against us but I still saw the Bolts as the better team.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
I have no problem with Tampa. MSL and Stamkos are 2 of the greatest player to watch in the NHL. I was just pointing out that people can't complain about Rinaldo punch and ignore the Vinny punch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
I would put Nate, Hall and Pyatt in that category as well. Tyrell when he's playing also looked great. Outside of them, Pouliot, Lecavalier and Conacher we are really lacking desire and determination in our forwards. Too many little mistakes that are costing us in both zones and too laissez faire when recovering from those errors.

I would separate Pouliot/Vinny/Cory only because it makes our other lines that much worse right now. I think we just need to hope that when those 3 are playing on other lines that their energy becomes contagious and not the other way around.

My ideal lines are:

Malone-Stamkos-Conacher
Pouliot-Lecavalier-St.Louis
Tyrell-Pyatt-Purcell
Hall-Thompson-Crombeen

Purcell doesn't deserve to be playing top 6 minutes right now and would do well with a few stints on the third line or at least until he starts picking up his play. Same goes for Marty and Stamkos, but let's just hope it's still early season rust for them.

Valid.

With the line I posted, I was really talking about the "top" guys on the squad. I've been saying I have loved the Pyatt/Thompson/Pouliot line for the past few games. That line needs more ice time.

And Tyrell was scratched last night after he has been VERY good. Disappointing.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Pouliot/Lecavalier/Conacher

The only ones that are playing with heart and skating like they want to win. This should be a line.

Purcell is playing lazy.

Malone? Idk, I just don't like the way he is playing.

Stammer and Marty are playing alright, but for ****s sake, simplify your game.

Well I could not of said it better. Late in the game I would have much rather seen Conacher and Pouliot that Purcell and Malone. I didn't understand that.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I agree on Marty and Teddy. Teddy is floating right now, what we hoped WOULDN'T happen at the beginning of the season. However - so is most of our top 6 lately.

Marty needs to shoot a little more. He can score, and he often has at least two people on him, sometimes even three, because they know he is going to pass. He is a premier playmaker, but, quite simply, while he is racking the points up, it isn't cutting it. He isn't playing to his level.

To those questioning Guy's coaching abilities. The man is basically an innovator. He invented the 1-3-1. How many teams do we see using that now? Last year he didn't have the personnel. This year, we do, and we are doing fairly well. These last couple of games - he can't play the games for the players. They need to wake the **** up and realize, they aren't hot **** if they don't play hard every game. I think they have the mentality, "oh, we will score no problem. After all, we are the highest scoring team in the league." But when the game gets to crunch time, and they haven't even tried because they just think it will magically happen, they're ****ed.

Sticking with the topic of Guy, remember last night when he called the time out? The play directly after that lead to a prime scoring opportunity. In essence, what he drew up on the board and had the players execute, worked. Just no one had the ability to finish it off. I will say that he needed to find a way to inspire his players, but when you see one of your guys get knocked pretty much unconscious that early in the game, it won't do much for your confidence.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Valid.

With the line I posted, I was really talking about the "top" guys on the squad. I've been saying I have loved the Pyatt/Thompson/Pouliot line for the past few games. That line needs more ice time.

And Tyrell was scratched last night after he has been VERY good. Disappointing.

That concerns me the most. What kind of message are we sending out to the player when he comes through for us with 2 solid performances then gets benched? We really could have used his energy and speed out there last night, may have helped Pyatt to break down that stubborn neutral zone trap they were playing. With Simmonds and Shartnell out, it had to clear that some of the Flyers grit was missing and Labrie was a little unnecessary. The fact that Nacho didn't step up and fight anyone after the Crombeen incident makes the decision to dress him even more questionable.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hopefully the last two games were a wake-up call. We're going for the pretty goals on the top two lines too much and not getting dirty. Stamkos is the KING of dirty goals, he just happens to get pretty ones too. Get pucks to the net, and let Stammer clean up the trash. Stamkos needs to shoot on 2-1s, especially considering how much Bryz was cheating to cross-ice passes all night.

And sorry, but Labrie absolutely doesn't belong on the team. We're too talented in the A and with Tyrell to have him on the ice. We have enough muscle that can actually play, he needs to go. That's right, I'm doubling down on my criticism of Labrie.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
You all do realize that the second and third punches were landed when Crombeen was down right?

That **** is so classless.

saw this elsewhere, take from it what you will:

hYvp7ws.jpg

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Fighting is a significant part of their repertoire but Crombeen and Labrie are middleweights, not deterrents. If they happen to 'win', it's a plus.

That both were added in lieu of a bona fide 'goon' signals that the organization decided to beef up, and play more physical but isn't so much concerned with the outcomes of any pugilistic endeavors.

Their presence should occasionally keep guys honest more so than someone without their pugilisitic ability. Neither player is a big deterrent by any means, but that factor is almost completely eliminated for Crombeen after losing to a guy like Rinaldo in that fashion. Labrie isn't a middleweight but I guess that's beside the point.

Speaking of Labrie, keep in mind that he was used in situations he wouldn't normally be in because of Crombeen being hurt. Up until his last shift, Labrie did well out there. He obviously made a bad mistake late, but the guy has seen a little over 11 minutes of ice time in two NHL games this season. Using him as a scapegoat seems completely unfair.

HeavyHammer

Go Bolts!
Feb 26, 2012

saw this elsewhere, take from it what you will:

hYvp7ws.jpg

Of course Vinny's hit was late. I don't think anybody is arguing it wasn't. You have to put it into context though, that was most certainly a result of Rinaldo throwing late punches on Crombeen.

Do you think Vinny throws that last punch if the Rinaldo/Crombeen incident doesn't occur?

FWIW, I understand Rinaldo's explanation of why he threw those last 2 punches, and it makes sense to me. It doesn't mean that there won't be repercussions for it though.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Their presence should occasionally keep guys honest more so than someone without their pugilisitic ability. Neither player is a big deterrent by any means, but that factor is almost completely eliminated for Crombeen after losing to a guy like Rinaldo in that fashion. Labrie isn't a middleweight but I guess that's beside the point.

Speaking of Labrie, keep in mind that he was used in situations he wouldn't normally be in because of Crombeen being hurt. Up until his last shift, Labrie did well out there. He obviously made a bad mistake late, but the guy has seen a little over 11 minutes of ice time in two NHL games this season. Using him as a scapegoat seems completely unfair.

labrie's forecheck lead to stamko's rung post, so i mean yeah i guess we are all just being a touch unrealistic in an attempt to justify what actually happened in a game

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Guys throwing punches on the ground happens all the time. It's pounding on someone who was semi-conscious and defenseless that I had an issue with. The vast majority of players with Rinaldo's fighting experience would have shown more restraint.

Anyways, Rinaldo's actions didn't bother me nearly as much as our lack of a response.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
he vast majority of players with Rinaldo's fighting experience would have shown more restraint.
i'd like to think my reaction times are that fast , but i can't guarantee that i'd be able to stop mid-punch

Guys throwing punches on the ground happens all the time. It's pounding on someone who was semi-conscious and defenseless that I had an issue with.
had Crombeen not gone to a knee, but had gone right down to the ice, i would think Zac would have stopped, but i can see why you would take issue with it .... it appears there was more to this than I knew about. I knew Crombeen had messed with Giroux in the game in Tampa Bay, what I didn't know is that Crombeen slashed Giroux on the wrists three different times in the same shift. The same wrists operated on after Crosby's slashes. So, if Zac was gonna pound a defenseless fighter who fought willingly, he picked the right guy.

HeavyHammer

Go Bolts!
Feb 26, 2012
So, if Zac was gonna pound a defenseless fighter who fought willingly, he picked the right guy.

So what you're saying, is that there are extenuating circumstances that would be reason enough to throw a late punch or two?

In that case, what was your reason for posting that initial image?

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
why would i whine after Zac paid Crombeen back for slashing Giroux last week ?

if you meant about Vinny; no, not at all. He and Crosby can do that all they want. nobody got hurt.

I don't think you showed us that image with malicious intent. I strongly believe though that Vinny is generally a classy player who responded to Rinaldo's earlier action of what the team believed to be late punches. From what I saw live at the game, there was a third punch that Rinaldo threw when Crombeen was down (Crombeen was not down on the ice but was only held up by Rinaldo's hand and was already falling at that point). Basically, both incidents were unnecessary and I expect more from all NHL players, but the reality is adrenaline often gets the better of them in these situations.

We'll see what happens next when Mohammed Aulie pays Rinaldo back for what he did to Crombeen :laugh:

bov

Nov 13, 2010
i'd like to think my reaction times are that fast , but i can't guarantee that i'd be able to stop mid-punch

I could provide countless examples of players showing restraint when they could have easily gone ahead and done more damage. I don't buy the notion that Rinaldo couldn't have stopped if he wanted to.

had Crombeen not gone to a knee, but had gone right down to the ice, i would think Zac would have stopped, but i can see why you would take issue with it .... it appears there was more to this than I knew about. I knew Crombeen had messed with Giroux in the game in Tampa Bay, what I didn't know is that Crombeen slashed Giroux on the wrists three different times in the same shift. The same wrists operated on after Crosby's slashes. So, if Zac was gonna pound a defenseless fighter who fought willingly, he picked the right guy.

Rinaldo should have stopped because his opponent was barely even conscious and posed no threat.

Crombeen's comments pretty much sums it up. He realizes the risk he took by dropping the gloves, and he knows that not everybody is going to fight with the same level of respect.

Just don't be surprised if stuff like that comes back to haunt you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad