GDT: 2/5/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
We all knew this road trip was going to be tough. There are still 3 games left and if nothing else it should help the guys bond so hat they are more cohesive later in the season. A couple wins would be nice too.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
This whole incident has made me dislike the vocal minority of Flyer's fans more than anything else.

Suffice to say they are nothing like Tampa fans. I remember when I watched games at St.Pete's (it was still called that at the time) and how cordial and kind all the fans were to the away supporters. Granted there was some friendly banter, but nothing like this. Some of the fans were just hostile and it got worse as the game went on (just drunk and stupid).

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
My biggest takeaways:

Flyers ran a 2-1-2 forecheck that we, for the life of us, could not solve. They were aggressive. Very aggressive on the puck, and we couldn't do anything about it. The puck was theirs the whole game basically.

We had ABSOLUTELY no sustained offensive pressure. There were two times where we kept it in their zone for good scoring chances. In the middle of the third I think it was, and at the end with the extra attacker and PP.

We showed ZERO heart besides Vinny's fight. He tried to spark us. It worked very minimally, but by that time, we had the extra attacker pretty much.

This team needs a bigger sense of urgency. Everyone floated tonight. When they didn't float, they looked for the pretty plays. Marty is making me bash my head against the wall lately. ENOUGH with the no-look ****ing passes all the god damned time. They don't work. You're a turnover machine lately. It needs to end.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
My biggest takeaways:

Flyers ran a 2-1-2 forecheck that we, for the life of us, could not solve. They were aggressive. Very aggressive on the puck, and we couldn't do anything about it. The puck was theirs the whole game basically.

We had ABSOLUTELY no sustained offensive pressure. There were two times where we kept it in their zone for good scoring chances. In the middle of the third I think it was, and at the end with the extra attacker and PP.

We showed ZERO heart besides Vinny's fight. He tried to spark us. It worked very minimally, but by that time, we had the extra attacker pretty much.

This team needs a bigger sense of urgency. Everyone floated tonight. When they didn't float, they looked for the pretty plays. Marty is making me bash my head against the wall lately. ENOUGH with the no-look ****ing passes all the god damned time. They don't work. You're a turnover machine lately. It needs to end.

I agree with your takeaways 100%. The combination of Marty and Stamkos are really hurting our team in creating sustained offensive pressure and chances to break out of our zone. I'm not sure what happened between them, maybe rust? When the lines were juggled in the third, we were much more effective and controlled the game from there on out. However, I'd like to see Conacher with Stamkos and Marty with Vinny next time.

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
If Lindback can ever fix this 5-hole problem he seems to have, he's going to be a great goalie. Until then, we'll just need to score one more than they do. Team loss tonight. I just can't figure out why with 13.5 seconds left, you play like you've got all day to just keep passing the puck around.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
If Lindback can ever fix this 5-hole problem he seems to have, he's going to be a great goalie. Until then, we'll just need to score one more than they do. Team loss tonight. I just can't figure out why with 13.5 seconds left, you play like you've got all day to just keep passing the puck around.

It looked like they were trying to set up the same play that got them the goal late in the NYR game. And they did, except the pass to Stamkos was horrible for some reason.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
So pissed. So bummed out. So frustrated.

This is another game we should've won. Lee was not too shabby for a few shifts and then all hell broke loose with him and then he gets an unfortunate bounce. Not completely his fault but his defensive awareness after being in the league for years, is abysmal.

Put in Mikkelsson, Im sick of this constant **** of not having a guy to play with Aulie. Honestly, we have lost the last two games which even though we played bad, Lindback excluded, we could've stole, and thats what we need.

Not sure why Lindback is getting the shaft by everyone tonight, what do you want him to do? Be alert of a 4th line plug? He probably didnt know he could move that quick, he played great, kept us in it at times and if it wasnt for him, do you think Garon and Roloson would've done better? No.

Everybody on that defense should be ashamed. Everybody on the offense should be ashamed except Vinny. Vinny has more heart than any player in the entire organization and whether or not it WAS(it was) dirty for hitting a player on the ground, he showed he isnt a coward, but he's a captain, and he sent a message to their team. He's got 2 thumbs up for me.

Crombeen, damn, that sucked cause I f**king hate Rinaldo, but he needs to shake it off. You win some, you lose some.

Marty- Im disappointed. He had quite a few opportunities but looks for the pass, this isnt 06/07 where nobody is aware of your play, they hounded him and when they didnt, he didnt shoot.

2 on 1s, I will never watch another game if they blow that many of them without shooting, Thompson blew one, Marty, and so did Stamkos. Unacceptable. No heart, no pep, no fire under their ass, completely flat.

Im not as mad right now, or at all for that matter, as it seems but that was disappointing. They passed up a victory for passing. Plain and simple. We'll be lucky to win these next few, they better get their act together on the road. Need to play a full 60 and not show up for a few minutes.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Sometimes you lose to teams below you. Legs should have been moving earlier in the game, and 26 needs to shoot to keep teams honest. All good, move on.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Briefly read over some posts on the Philly section:

"I see its caused a lot of butthurt fans"

Yes, says a fan of the team that complains about a strategy in hockey.
Yes, says a fan of the team that has beat us 3 times in the last 9 games. Comical considering the lineups the last few years.
Yes, says a fan of the team with NBCSN studio plugs, yes Milbury, plug..wanting Tampa to be punished.

Quite hypocritical. :laugh:

I honestly would never believe a Philadelphia fan even if my life depended on it. Possibly the most arrogant fan base in all of sports. :shakehead

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I've gotta admit, I'm starting to question Boucher's coaching. He seems to lack the ability to make the guys play an intense 60 minutes. I understand that he juggled the lines and a makeshift line of 16/11/67 got our only goal, but just like someone said with Sestito, even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes. I notice a lack of discipline and structure most of the time and we very rarely have a game plan and stick to it. Boucher has to know the kind of game the Flyers were gonna play today, they are missing 2 or 3 dmen along with Hartnell and Simmonds. They were gonna come out and play this chippy, grind it out hockey and we played right into their game plan. We did the same with the Rangers, they shut down the lanes and we don't adjust at all. I get that he can't go out there and play the games for them, but good coaches figure out ways to motivate their guys and discipline them to play the system and stick to the plan. Boucher, in my eyes at least, has failed to do that so far. Now I'm not calling for a firesale or a house cleaning or anything, I'm just saying he needs to be better too.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...1273951?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Crombeen — as a "precaution" coach Guy Boucher said — was held out of the rest of the game and Lightning right wing Pierre-Cedric Labrie said he warned Rinaldo.

"He was telling me it was fair and (Crombeen) was not going down," Labrie said. "I told him to keep his head up because I'll be coming for you but we didn't match up after that. … One day."
Some believed Rinaldo went after Crombeen for roughing up Flyers captain Claude Giroux during a Jan. 27 game at Tampa. Rinaldo said that was the case.

Besides it was the apparent late punches that were the issue.

"I hit him until he was down," Rinaldo said. "I'll never hit someone when they're down. I hit him until he was down and made sure he was down and that was it."

Rinaldo said he got confirmation from referee Kelly Southerland the punches came before Crombeen fell.

So, was it dirty?

"I'm not going to say that," Crombeen said. "I always fought by that if a guy is in a bad position you stop throwing. But guys fight different ways. I'm not going to say if it was dirty or not. You're fighting. You put yourself in that situation and you know the consequences."

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I'm interested to see how Crombeen comes back from that, being a scrapper and someone who can serve as a deterrent and protect teammates (A big part of why we traded for him obviously). He has clearly not fared well so far this season in that regard. Hope he can get some redemption once he's fully healthy, but not many guys look the same after something like that happens. He has a bit of a gun shy style to begin with too. Regardless, he has been an effective player for us so far and I'm glad he's okay.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Another thing that has gone unmentioned on the game reviews was Purcell's pass on our 2nd last PP. We had set up in their zone for quite a while and they were down to 3 men since one broke their stick and then Teddy threw the puck into a high traffic area instead of shooting or making a better pass. Very disappointing and I really thought we would have scored there. Seeing it live at the arena was awful as I was really expecting us to score and even the game up then.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
How many more NBC games? I don't like having to watch these games on mute.
Four more. And look at the opponents.

Tuesday, February 5th at Philadelphia - 7:30 PM
Sunday, February 24th at Pittsburgh - 7:30 PM
Monday, March 4th at Pittsburgh - 7:30 PM
Monday, March 18th home against Philadelphia - 7:30 PM
Thursday, April 11th home against Pittsburgh - 7:30 PM

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Purcell has been disappointing in general though. Him following Marty's lead and throwing a horribly advised hope pass into traffic rather than unleashing his, not to be scoffed at, shot is par for the course apparently.

Also, there aren't too many players softer than Teddy. He's incessantly getting rubbed out on the wall or in the corners with little or no fight.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Video of Rinaldo (mic'd up) confirming with referee Kelly Sutherland that he didn't punch Crombeen when he was down: http://nbcphiladelphia.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/rinaldo-micd-during-fight-crombeen

I don't think it was dirty / against the rules. Against the "code"? Maybe. Vinny wasn't better (worse actually, IMO). Not a good game for the Lightning - in every aspect.

Yeah, no reason to hit Talbot when he was down like that. I just find it amusing that a **** team beat us with Sestito and Rinaldo. LOL. Can't take this team seriously until that **** never happens.

tattooedsean

Hockey Maniac!
May 16, 2012
Arizona
The team has to find a way to adjust when teams come at them aggressively on defense and prevent all the smooth passing that usually leads to the lightning goals and it becomes even more so when the opponents are limiting how many times they have to go on the penalty kill vs the Lightning.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I wonder what game some people were watching. I guess the haters are gonna hate. Lee was our best defenseman all night, 2nd goal bounced over his stick, Labrie didn't pick up the trailer and Lindback can't be beat with the same move from same guy. We need to split up Brewer and Carle as they both lack desire, put Aulie with Carle and Lee with Brewer maybe those guys passion will ignite them. I don't know how Purcell gets points sometimes as he floats and looks uninterested. Our all around passing needs improvement.

warlord6

Jan 13, 2010
FLA
Well, I feel a tad better this morning about this. Not much though.

We gotta but this one behind us. If we play like that vs. NJ, it won't be pretty.

But I have a feeling that the team will correct some of the deficiencies that we saw. I think it will be another close game.

As previously mentioned, it is time to move on. We'll get another piece of the Flyers...:yo:

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I said before this road trip that the Flyers game was the only legitimately good chance of getting 2 points of 8 possible. It's conceivable that we'll come back home a 6-6 team.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
BJ crombeen makes me miss andre roy, which is odd since andre roy was only known to occasionally ever so slightly outperform his peers at facepunching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad