GDT: 2/5/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Here's the talked about mic'd up clip of Zac Rinaldo (right at the end)

Crombeen wasn't the only one who got hurt in this fight. Did you see the damage his face did to Rinaldo's hand?

For anyone mad at how this game went:

Last edited:

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Whatever. Crombeen got tagged, I can see the next punch that hit the shoulder being ok, but the two successive ones when he was clearly on his knees defenseless were excessive. Adrenaline, ******* player account for those though.

Last edited by a moderator:

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Fighting is a significant part of their repertoire but Crombeen and Labrie are middleweights, not deterrents. If they happen to 'win', it's a plus.

That both were added in lieu of a bona fide 'goon' signals that the organization decided to beef up, and play more physical but isn't so much concerned with the outcomes of any pugilistic endeavors.

Last edited:

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Rinaldo and Lecavalier gave predictable defenses of their actions. Not sure why we need explanations from them. Doesn't make what either did any less vicious.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Rinaldo and Lecavalier gave predictable defenses of their actions. Not sure why we need explanations from them. Doesn't make what either did any less vicious.

I agree. What Vinny did was "send a message" or stick up for the team as I dont think anybody likes talbot so nobody really cares:laugh:

but, it wasnt right, and while I think it was the right decision, it looks bad, after watching it again and 12hrs later, it looks bad that nobody has a bigger set of balls to fight other than the captain, in his second fight against the same team.

What if he would've broke his hand? We are down to 2C's as far as Im concerned. He cant be fighting. Aulie, Thompson, Lee, Brewer, Malone, Crombeen(well..), Hall, and a couple others CAN fight. Not saying any of them should but last night they all played with their tails between their legs, except Conacher. Guy has heart...so little yet not afraid of Coburn :)

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
also, off topic I know, but I need to slip this in as much as I can, I posted in the "business of hockey" section about coaching, its in a thread that is stickied. I have a lot of questions about coaching but barely anybody goes in that section. Looking for some advice.:)

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Thought Lecavalier did a better job of picking a dance partner this time but didn't like the timing. Down a goal late in the third period while on the road, he needs to be on the ice.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
also, off topic I know, but I need to slip this in as much as I can, I posted in the "business of hockey" section about coaching, its in a thread that is stickied. I have a lot of questions about coaching but barely anybody goes in that section. Looking for some advice.:)

I can BS with you. I haven't gotten anywhere and the odds are you won't get to the NHL either, as they're pretty much proportional to a player's chance, but it's something I'd like to do as well.

Voltaire said that "No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking." and that guy wrote more than 20,000 letters. I have to double my post count to catch up to that.

Last edited:

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Oh ok. So if he let in two goals that my grandmother could have stopped but we only score one. Its not his fault at all?

Makes perfect sense.

Holy hyperbole, Batman!

Any NHLer that is able to come in alone on a goaltender is a scoring threat. Even the likes of Tom Sestito and Zac Rinaldo.

When your goalie allows two or less goals, there's no reason to look at anybody but the skaters in front of him for why your club didn't earn at least a point.

Last edited:

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
rd to believe some in here blame Lindback for the loss. He's the reason it was a one goal game all night.

Read better.

Everyone knows he's the reason why that was a one goal game. Everyone has stated as such. He's the reason why that was a one goal game in more ways than you are considering though. He let a 4th line plugger that makes Scott Gomez look like Steven Stamkos, score two goals on him in the same game.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
And Lecavalier punched Talbot once more when he was already lying on the ice. spade=spade

for reference: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=59151071&postcount=200

As I've mentioned in the other thread, let me know when they name Hospital Wings after Rinaldo. One incident of being a dick, by a well respected and 1000+game player doesn't negate anything about his career. Your comparison is flawed on so many levels it's laughable. The fact that you made it indicates more about your grasp of reality than it relays any kind of otherwise salient point.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
The more I look at this game the more I realize now the personnel decisions were iffy for this game. Labrie I like, but hes more suited to a very sheltered role. We really should have had Tyrell in there for his speed and defensive pressure. I think they got a little caught up in carrying a bit more beef in the lineup like they did against the Islanders and once again got away from playing the way that made them successful.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The more I look at this game the more I realize now the personnel decisions were iffy for this game. Labrie I like, but hes more suited to a very sheltered role. We really should have had Tyrell in there for his speed and defensive pressure. I think they got a little caught up in carrying a bit more beef in the lineup like they did against the Islanders and once again got away from playing the way that made them successful.

Is this where I come to say I told you so? Labrie's "backcheck" on the gwg was brutal.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Another thing that has gone unmentioned on the game reviews was Purcell's pass on our 2nd last PP. We had set up in their zone for quite a while and they were down to 3 men since one broke their stick and then Teddy threw the puck into a high traffic area instead of shooting or making a better pass. Very disappointing and I really thought we would have scored there. Seeing it live at the arena was awful as I was really expecting us to score and even the game up then.

Ah yes, I forgot about this. I remember thinking, "that was the ****ing play you picked Teddy?!" To just basically turn it over instead of pass it to the open man, Marty I think it was. There were at least 3 Flyers in the immediate area that Teddy passed to. God that was frustrating.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Yes. The Lightning need to play their game.

I don't see very many games where one of the teams completely builds around their opponent and still wins. This game wasn't totally like that, but there were considerations made that maybe shouldn't have been.

I also think that maybe Crombeen getting destroyed hurt the Lightning's confidence.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Is this where I come to say I told you so? Labrie's "backcheck" on the gwg was brutal.

I didn't know that was up for debate, but yes. Yes it was. He mustered little to no pressure in the offensive zone all night, too. On the other hand, I think a bit of his extended ice time came from Been getting his melon dinged up. I'd like to see DNA together again, Lee get his minutes cut, and Aulie still increase his TOI. TOI was really weird last night.

Oh and for ***** sake Marty, shoot. Everyone just backs off you now because you don't keep them honest.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Yes. The Lightning need to play their game.

I don't see very many games where one of the teams completely builds around their opponent and still wins. This game wasn't totally like that, but there were considerations made that maybe shouldn't have been.

I also think that maybe Crombeen getting destroyed hurt the Lightning's confidence.

Being at the game myself, this even took me out of the game as a fan. I kind of sat throughout the contest in shock...I can only imagine how the players felt, especially since Crombeen is now seen as our "enforcer". The interesting thing is Rinaldo has a very poor fighting track record, he loses more often than not. He just caught Crombeen cleanly with a punch, but if Crombeen had not moved his head into it, I really think he had the upper hand in the beginning.

Going forward, it's a loss and we came out lethargic and unprepared. I think we'll win tomorrow against the Devils and get back on track.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Another thing I noticed while at the game was how stupid Philly fans are for the large part. My friends who I watched the game with are Flyers fans and warned me before and during the game of the low intelligence quotient that I'd likely have to deal with.

They were calling for Conacher's head when he lost an edge and fell into Bryz. Also, as I mentioned before they would boo the ref when they were going on the PP and blamed the ref for Pouliot's goal...

newham89

Feb 11, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Hard loss to take, especially against the flyers. But I'm not too downhearted about the performance. We've lost a few one goal games now and not looked like being blown out at any points. This team is going places.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Pouliot/Lecavalier/Conacher

The only ones that are playing with heart and skating like they want to win. This should be a line.

Purcell is playing lazy.

Malone? Idk, I just don't like the way he is playing.

Stammer and Marty are playing alright, but for ****s sake, simplify your game.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Pouliot/Lecavalier/Conacher

The only ones that are playing with heart and skating like they want to win. This should be a line.

Purcell is playing lazy.

Malone? Idk, I just don't like the way he is playing.

Stammer and Marty are playing alright, but for ****s sake, simplify your game.

I would put Nate, Hall and Pyatt in that category as well. Tyrell when he's playing also looked great. Outside of them, Pouliot, Lecavalier and Conacher we are really lacking desire and determination in our forwards. Too many little mistakes that are costing us in both zones and too laissez faire when recovering from those errors.

I would separate Pouliot/Vinny/Cory only because it makes our other lines that much worse right now. I think we just need to hope that when those 3 are playing on other lines that their energy becomes contagious and not the other way around.

My ideal lines are:

Malone-Stamkos-Conacher
Pouliot-Lecavalier-St.Louis
Tyrell-Pyatt-Purcell
Hall-Thompson-Crombeen

Purcell doesn't deserve to be playing top 6 minutes right now and would do well with a few stints on the third line or at least until he starts picking up his play. Same goes for Marty and Stamkos, but let's just hope it's still early season rust for them.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006

Very much agreed.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
They need to get back to what they were doing before. It would also help to get some more calls our way but giving a PP to us is almost like giving us a goal. Cant let that happen too much. Especially on national TV home game for Philly against Tampa. Cant have another 5-2 game Tampa. Gotta keep Philly in the mix. Conspiracy thinking done :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad