GDT: 2/16/13 "Static Shock" - Lightning VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Hasn't he played over 100 games in the AHL already? How many more does he need? What's the big deal about lasting a whole year in the AHL? Durability? If he's going to get hurt, he's going to get hurt, regardless of which league he's playing in.

You're proving my point. We're worried about ruining his confidence up here because the team is bad, yet his confidence definitely won't be ruined in the AHL where the team also sucks?

If we're going to be mediocre, I want Markstrom starting here. Watching Theodore and Clemmensen play is a waste of time if they don't take us to the playoffs.

I thought they'd turn it around, but it's becoming pretty clear that that's likely not happening.

Are you a new hockey fan or something? That is not the way things work. These are real people not video game characters. An NHL shot is quite different from an AHL shot. Hes one of the best prospects preparing for a spot that only 30 people in the world occupy

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Wouldn't that just ruin his confidence even more?

I said this in the other thread as well and I'll echo it here; as a Panther fan, you don't ever have to worry about Jacob Markstrom losing his confidence. He knows he's a great goalie and even after a bad game, he stays positive and says all the right things.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Its a lack of talent.

How successful can a team be with a bunch of retreads ?

We have "nice" players, but no game changers.

Weiss,Versteeg, and Campbell are not playing as well as last year.

No offensive defensemen aside from Kulikov and Campbell. No puck possession.

Skille was the best forward tonight ? Something is wrong with that.

Erick*

Are you a new hockey fan or something? That is not the way things work. These are real people not video game characters. An NHL shot is quite different from an AHL shot. Hes one of the best prospects preparing for a spot that only 30 people in the world occupy

:laugh:

He's going to get hurt because an NHL shot is hard? I guess he'll never be ready...

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Its a lack of talent.

This.

Stamkos turned this game around with his 2nd goal.

We have no sniper on this team. Not even one.

And our defense is the worst in the league by far.

Erick*

I said this in the other thread as well and I'll echo it here; as a Panther fan, you don't ever have to worry about Jacob Markstrom losing his confidence. He knows he's a great goalie and even after a bad game, he stays positive and says all the right things.

So why should he stay down there at this point?

Watching a mediocre team with goalies in their late 30's doesn't really do anything for the future of the organization.

Goaltending is struggling. Markstrom has played over 100 AHL games. He's 23. Why not now? If you're going to lose, at least lose with your future in net. Can't ever learn the NHL game if you never play in the NHL. Huberdeau is here. Shore is here. Gudbranson is here. Etc., etc. Why does Markstrom have to stay down there at this poiint? We lead the NHL in goals allowed now.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Guys guys.. It's not like Markstrom is a rookie or something, he played 2 full seasons as a number 1 in Sweden before coming over. :laugh:

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
you can argue there is no room for Markstrom, but if you ask anyone like Dan their announcer or Rampage nate they will tell you unequivocally he is more than ready.

I REMEMBER LAST YEAR THE SAME CRAP GOING TO A HOMESTAND LOSING EVERY GAME IN OT????

Erick*

you can argue there is no room for Markstrom, but if you ask anyone like Dan their announcer or Rampage nate they will tell you unequivocally he is more than ready.

I was against it, but enough is enough. The point of stopgaps is to have them up here and have them help you win games. Not let your team down every other night.

Markstrom is NHL ready. He's been "the best goalie not in the NHL" for years now. He's been babied and developed enough. Time to be a big boy and play in the NHL.

Erick*

Cool, now tell me what that has to with injuries.

I don't understand your point then?
Are you saying he'd allow more goals up here? I'm sure he would. So? Should the Lightning bring Roloson back out of retirement and send Lindback to the AHL because "shots are harder in the NHL?" They have their future in net. Why not us?

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I don't understand your point then?
Are you saying he'd allow more goals up here? I'm sure he would. So? Should the Lightning bring Roloson back out of retirement and send Lindback to the AHL because "shots are harder in the NHL?" They have their future in net. Why not us?

Yeah thats what im saying. It would not help us out because IMO the goalie is not the issue of this team. So we bring a young player in and let him get peppered? for what he won't help us win and he will split starts with Theo instead of playing every game in the AHL. I brought this point up earlier guys like Lindback whom played for a playoff team before tampa, Rask and Quick all play and develop in front of good teams. A forward can get thrown into the mix and be allowed to fend for himself amongst the wolves. A goalie has a different trajectory for development. That refinement can only come with playing a full season not splitting starts like he would with Theo.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I'm so ****ing tired of this ****ing team blowing a ****ing lead every ****ing time they get one.

Also, why the **** can't they ever clear the puck out of their zone?

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Was at the game very disappointed. How much longer can a fan base tolerate mediocrity?

I really think its a lack of systems besides lack of talent.

Lack of systems=lack of coaching. Sorry to break the bad news.

this isn't a systematic issue. the team is playing fluidly and the system in place is a big reason as to why we're scoring so much offensively.

the problems are basic hockey - it has nothing to do with coaching or the "system" our coach institutes. there's no coach in the history of the NHL that has "leave the guy in front of the net wide open" as part of their system - that much i can guarantee you.

the problems are the players not executing defensively. they're not picking up their man, they're not rotating properly. it is a lack of focus and lack of execution, plain and simple.

and this is NOT just the defensmen. alot of it has to do with the forwards. i'd even go as far as saying it has more to do with the forwards than the defensmen. i'm not absolving the d for their issues, because none of them are playing well right now (even Campbell)...but the tying goal was the responsibility of a forward. purcell was in the high slot acting as the "3rd forward" and that is not the responsibility of a d-man. pick up your ****ing assignment, it's basic hockey and none of our guys are good enough to get by in this league without doing it consistently.

i'd be hard pressed to blame this loss solely on theodore because the defensive play in front of him tonight was truly abysmal and he did make some big stops. that being said, six goals is still six goals and not all of them were one timers from the slot. he wasn't the only reason for the loss, but he contributed to it, that's for sure.

these issues are so frustrating to me, though, because for the first time in a LONG time we seem to have the talent and ability to score goals on a reasonably consistent basis....but now we're leaking on the other end of the ice and the issues we have are more lack of focus and hard work than anything else. that's all defense is. outwork your opponent in your own zone/pay attention to detail and the other team isn't going to score.

we're the complete opposite team of what we were last year. we were a terrible offensive team but with a group of relentless players who paid attention to every detail on the ice and got great goaltending for almost every game. now we seem to be a team with good offense, bad defense, bad goaltending and just a general knack for getting outworked, especially in crucial situations.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Its a lack of talent.

it's not a lack of talent. and if you think fleishmann, weiss, versteeg (even if those 2 are struggling), shore, mueller, huberdeau are "retreads" - you're probably not a very good evaluator of talent.

this team is scoring plenty, but giving up even more on their end. that's not lack of talent. it's lack of defensive execution, lack of focus, and lack of determination.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
This.

Stamkos turned this game around with his 2nd goal.

We have no sniper on this team. Not even one.

And our defense is the worst in the league by far.

WE SCORED 5 GOALS TWO TIMES THIS WEEK AND LOST BOTH GAMES BECAUSE WE GAVE UP 6

are people on this board serious or are they actually this dense? jesus

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Yeah thats what im saying. It would not help us out because IMO the goalie is not the issue of this team. So we bring a young player in and let him get peppered? for what he won't help us win and he will split starts with Theo instead of playing every game in the AHL. I brought this point up earlier guys like Lindback whom played for a playoff team before tampa, Rask and Quick all play and develop in front of good teams. A forward can get thrown into the mix and be allowed to fend for himself amongst the wolves. A goalie has a different trajectory for development. That refinement can only come with playing a full season not splitting starts like he would with Theo.

LA was actually an absolutely terrible defensive team when Quick came up. they didn't have Darryl Sutter then. their coach was Terry Murray.

remember him?

if you're going to come in with terrible arguments the least you could do is get your facts straight .

BTW - one goal would have been the difference in 4 out of our last 5 losses. so even if Markstrom was even just a marginal upgrade over Theodore/Clemmensen, and could have make one extra save, we'd be sitting with an 8-6 right now.

the "it would make no difference" argument is beyond stupid. with that logic, why try to improve the roster ever? :shakehead

Lessthan900

Feb 6, 2013
Florida
The standard for NHL goaltenders must be at an all-time low. Did I read "peppered?" Which game was this? I recall Luongo getting peppered game after game and giving our untalented teams a shot. Theodore had one good game.

Lessthan900

Feb 6, 2013
Florida
LA was actually an absolutely terrible defensive team when Quick came up. their coach was Terry Murray.

remember him?

if you're going to come in with terrible arguments the least you could do is get your facts straight .

BTW - one goal would have been the difference in 4 out of our last 5 losses. so even if Markstrom was even just a marginal upgrade over Theodore/Clemmensen, and could have make one extra save, we'd be sitting with an 8-6 right now.

the "it would make no difference" argument is beyond stupid. with that logic, why try to improve the roster ever? :shakehead

I agree. If he could prevent one of those 5 goals, we win in regulation. There were not 50 shots.

I'll allow that the goalie can blame the defense--until the 5th goal!

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Dineen should be able to get these players to play better than they are. Why does the team play such a lax style? Why is it so easy to enter our zone? Why do all the players look lost and confused? This doesn't have to do with coaching?

Your questions can be answered easily. We just don't have a great team. Forwards are usually awful. Our defense is embarrassing. And our goaltending is inconsistent. Dineen's getting out coached just about every night. Fortunately, we have some great prospects in just about every position so we'll be alright. I honestly expected this.

Last edited:

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
it's not a lack of talent. and if you think fleishmann, weiss, versteeg (even if those 2 are struggling), shore, mueller, huberdeau are "retreads" - you're probably not a very good evaluator of talent.

this team is scoring plenty, but giving up even more on their end. that's not lack of talent. it's lack of defensive execution, lack of focus, and lack of determination.

Shore and Huberdeau are rookies. Who knows what Shore and Huberdeau will be in the future, but right now those two players alone can't handle all the scoring. Shore has probably been our most consistent forward this season.

Weiss, Mueller, Versteeg, and Fleishmann are 2nd line players. They are players that fit well in their defined role (depth scoring) but aren't game breakers because they are too one dimensional. Weiss and Versteeg might be struggling through injuries/playing hurt, but they aren't comparable with players like Toews, Kopitar, Malkin on a game to game basis even when healthy.

Filip Kuba,George Parros, and Alex Kovalev are retreads. Strachan played a horrible game today. I dont know if its the ice, but he lost his edge at least three times.

The bottom line is this: who on our team is going to assert himself and take control of the situation. No one knows who that is.

If you believe our team is just as talented as Tampa's then blame the coaching. So in that case you should be lobbying for a new coach.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
There are problems all over this ice with this team. Just mainly inconsistency from most positions. The glaring problems are with the defense and goal tending imo. The question is how can it be fixed in the short term to salvage this season?

1. Replace the poor cogs on defense? Can't be done on the fly.

2. Upgrade the goaltending. Can be done but will cost prospects if Markstom isn't ready.

3. Don't sacrifice their future for this season and do nothing which is the same thing as tanking. I don't mind tanking as long as we call a spade a spade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad