Injury Report: 2/14 Simek to IR UBI

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I feel like we'd harp on Couture regardless of what he said. He's taking the safe route now by not butting heads with refs and not calling out the team for the lack of response. But if he said actually called out teammates to the media for not responding, we'd just as equally harp on him for that like we've done in the past. It's lose-lose here based on our predisposed bias. Like we don't even know if he was the one who initally said the "co-worker" comment a few seasons ago.
im going to judge him by what he does on the ice in these kinds of situations and so far he hasnt done shit.

That said, he should have addressed the fact that the hit was shady or not and that they need to unite as a team when things like that are happening. Instead we got a "well they didnt make a call so it was fine"

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
im going to judge him by what he does on the ice in these kinds of situations and so far he hasnt done shit.

That said, he should have addressed the fact that the hit was shady or not and that they need to unite as a team when things like that are happening. Instead we got a "well they didnt make a call so it was fine"

Whether it's his job to stand up for his teammates on the ice or not, that isn't an okay response for the captain to make. Clean or not, you don't just let teams know that they can lay the body without a response. I've never been a proponent for letting clean hits slide because shit like this happens and it gives you less room to work with because everyone knows you'll be passive when they are aggressive. And the more others know you'll let this go, the higher chance someone gets hurt from it.

I won't give Cooch shit for not stepping in physically to respond but you can't say that and just accept it even if it is clean. You have to fight for every inch and you have to fight teams willing to throw the body cleanly much less those willing to straddle the line between clean and dirty.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Call it what it is. This team went from one of the best and tightest locker rooms to a bunch of emotionless pansies. After reading Sheng’s article, it clear Boughner is just full of bs coach speak. “We need to do this” “ we should have done that”. Nothing changes with the play on the ice or emotional investment within the team. Cut this bozo loose too. As PF said, it’s time to cut bait with everyone and start over.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Call it what it is. This team went from one of the best and tightest locker rooms to a bunch of emotionless pansies. After reading Sheng’s article, it clear Boughner is just full of bs coach speak. “We need to do this” “ we should have done that”. Nothing changes with the play on the ice or emotional investment within the team. Cut this bozo loose too. As PF said, it’s time to cut bait with everyone and start over.

When even PF is calling for a rebuild, you know it’s time.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I wouldn’t blame HCBB - a lot of the lack of success here is personnel driven. I think he has more or less achieved expectations given what he has. I suspect a more “results” oriented coach, with a much more, ahem abrasive personality, such as Gallant or Torts could milk slightly higher short term performance at the expense of long term stability. I am not sure that is the right strategic play either, if we are facing a 3+ year refresh built around culture and young talent. If DW is desperate, it could be a good mid-season adjustment.

That being said, I think DW positioned this team for a sell off at the deadline. So I don’t think anyone is surprised by the current results. Sorenson, Nieto, Donato, Dubnyk are all gonna be worth something as depth pieces to a contender - while Marleau, Noesen and Claessen all have the potential to at least return a late pick in the right situation.

Simek has long been the underrated corner stone of our defense. He eats minutes and keeps the aging core from shouldering too large a burden. With him gone, Vlasic and Ferraro are both going to be above 23+ minutes a night, as HCBB rides his ton 5 as best he can. Expect to see a return of Vlasic - Karlsson and Ferraro - Burns. That Kevin + Middleton or whomever third pair will likely eat a combined 20-25 minutes per night with Kevin being 10-15 and the replacement someone like 8-12. Either way, it’s not a good look for a team that desperately needs to reduce GAA.
I don't understand why people keep throwing out Donato name as a TDL sell off piece. He's not getting traded unless it's to bring back a better player. He's the right age and plays hard and has a pretty decent ceiling at this point. Looks like he's a legit 2nd line winger in the making. He can also play all 3 positions. I don't see him getting shipped away even if it's a tear down to the studs rebuild. I think he's maybe the closest they have to another Pavs type of player. Not saying he's scoring 40 goals (No Jumbo) but the kid is all effort and he has a lot of confidence in his game like Pavs.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I don't understand why people keep throwing out Donato name as a TDL sell off piece. He's not getting traded unless it's to bring back a better player. He's the right age and plays hard and has a pretty decent ceiling at this point. Looks like he's a legit 2nd line winger in the making. He can also play all 3 positions. I don't see him getting shipped away even if it's a tear down to the studs rebuild. I think he's maybe the closest they have to another Pavs type of player. Not saying he's scoring 40 goals (No Jumbo) but the kid is all effort and he has a lot of confidence in his game like Pavs.
This. Burns, Kane, couture, and even simek should all go first if(when) we rebuild. Assuming no one takes our 3 albatross contracts. Donato should stay here.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If he was just a 30 goal scorer then yes, but at this point the detriments are getting too much. Same reason he wore out his welcome in Winnipeg and Buffalo. He's been around for 13 years, never broke 60 points and now is so easy to rattle and get off his game. He's killed momentum more time than I can count and doesn't even bring physicality to the game anymore except for cheap hits that lead to penalties.

I like Kane but his contract is bad.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Kane is a 30 goal, 60 point physical and speedy winger who can play both special teams and whose contract covers his age 27-33 seasons. Other than the penalties, he doesn't have a whole lot of on-ice drawbacks. His contract is pretty much ideal.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Kane is a 30 goal, 60 point physical and speedy winger who can play both special teams and whose contract covers his age 27-33 seasons. Other than the penalties, he doesn't have a whole lot of on-ice drawbacks. His contract is pretty much ideal.
Kane has had 30 goals twice in 12 seasons and has never had 60 points in a season. In fact his career high is one more than Labanc's, and I remember everyone losing their minds when Kevin got 4.75 a year.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kane has had 30 goals twice in 12 seasons and has never had 60 points in a season. In fact his career high is one more than Labanc's, and I remember everyone losing their minds when Kevin got 4.75 a year.

On a team that has Vlasic, Jones, Karlsson, Burns, and Couture, Kane is the least of the bad contracts. Labanc's contract is an overpayment based on circumstances outside of GM control. But he was also much less of a proven player than Kane. 7 mil is perfectly fine for Kane. He was never going to be a high value asset regardless of his contract.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
On a team that has Vlasic, Jones, Karlsson, Burns, and Couture, Kane is the least of the bad contracts. Labanc's contract is an overpayment based on circumstances outside of GM control. But he was also much less of a proven player than Kane. 7 mil is perfectly fine for Kane. He was never going to be a high value asset regardless of his contract.
I have no issues with Cooter's contract. The others? Yes.

Reactions: Insignia

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Our teams problems listed in order. At least for me.

1) Vlassic sucks worse than leauge minimum value. Can he please just go away.
2) Jones is the worst goalie in the NHL despite the last 2 games.
3) Karlsson is on pace for 25 points in a regular season while being a disaster defensively.
4) Our forwards don't help out our defense when they attack and still look surprised after 2.5 seasons when Karlsson does a stretch pass.
5) Cap space will be available in 5 years. Hopefully. Also good luck re-signing Donato, Ferraro, and Hertl over the next 2 years.
6) Burns is clearly no longer elite.
7) Has anyone seen Meier?
8) Whats our system again?
9) What is scoring depth?
10) Coutures contract is going to be ugly in few years.
11) Can Kane please stop taking stupid undisciplined penalties?
12) Is Simek or Labanc really worth their contracts?

Kanes problems are not high up on the list for me at least.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Kane's contract is fine. He's top-3 in scoring on the team so far, tied for the lead in assists. 4th in goals on the team since coming here. Yea I wish he'd take less penalties too, but he's not getting any benefit of the doubt from the league either. 7mil for a top-6 winger with his production is solid.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

I don't have an issue with Couture or Kane's contract, but I don't see why one would have the issue with one and not the other as they currently stand. Both of their contracts have the potential to be bad in a few seasons given their age or playing style, but they're fine value right now. It's really just Vlasic, Jones, Karlsson, and Burns probably in that order.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't have an issue with Couture or Kane's contract, but I don't see why one would have the issue with one and not the other as they currently stand. Both of their contracts have the potential to be bad in a few seasons given their age or playing style, but they're fine value right now. It's really just Vlasic, Jones, Karlsson, and Burns probably in that order.

Couture will be 37/38 years old when his contract ends. Kane will be 33. Couture is way more injury prone then kane is also.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I have no issues with Cooter's contract. The others? Yes.

Couture's contract runs until through his age 37 season with three teams to trade him to throughout that deal. Given his speed and stature, he's likely to fall off before that. Kane's deal, however, runs through his age 34 season. If you have an issue with Kane's contract, you should have an issue with Couture's. They're pretty much equal on the value aspect of things.

I agree with this. I don't really have an issue with either of them but I don't expect any of them to be all that valuable in the trade market for various reasons but mostly because of the three team trade lists the bulk of them have.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Couture will be 37/38 years old when his contract ends. Kane will be 33. Couture is way more injury prone then kane is also.

Hence why I said, as they currently stand. Anything can happen in the next couple seasons, fluke injury or whatever.
And as far as the more injury prone, that may be the case, yet over the last decade, Kane has played 647 games compared to Couture's 690. Kane's playstyle also has the potential be a lot more taxing on his body over the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad