Injury Report: 2/14 Simek to IR UBI

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Kane's playstyle also has the potential be a lot more taxing on his body over the years.
I dont actually know if this is true. Yes he does throw a hit a bit more but its not like he runs around trying to hit everything in site, he just doesnt avoid hitting people like Captain Coworker.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I dont actually know if this is true. Yes he does throw a hit a bit more but its not like he runs around trying to hit everything in site, he just doesnt avoid hitting people like Captain Coworker.

No but it's more the rate of speed at which he hits that can cause big-time injuries. I don't think it'll be a wear and tear thing. It'll be like how Thornton dropped those couple years with his knee. Something just happens at a high rate of speed and it knocks him out for a long time or ends it for him. Couture I think will succumb to just a normal decline in skills as he ages. But he's signed for so long and is tied up to a three team trade list that it'll be impossible to move him when he gets to that point. I don't think he'll go down the Pavelski career arc where he can focus on goal scoring to extend his value when his versatility in the faceoff circle and defensive play dry up like it currently is for Cooch. The team needs a young 2nd line center soon to move him to wing but I don't know if they have that coming anytime soon. That's what the '22 draft needs to address.

While the '20 draft has a lot of right-handed shots that play center currently, they will probably be middle-six winger depth...except for maybe Coe but he's a long shot.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
The team needs a young 2nd line center soon to move him to wing but I don't know if they have that coming anytime soon. That's what the '22 draft needs to address.

While the '20 draft has a lot of right-handed shots that play center currently, they will probably be middle-six winger depth...except for maybe Coe but he's a long shot.

Bordeleau, perhaps - left-shot playmaking center who is good at winning faceoffs. Otherwise Coe is the best bet (and is a long shot as you said).

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
How is Kane not an albatross at this point?
Only so called "fans" here think like that. 7mil for a guy who puts up around 30 goals and 50 to 60 points for his age range during the contract is frankly a steal in the current NHL contract landscape. All this talk about him being injury prone has also been shown to be overblown at this point. The bankruptcy thing is a concern but he's not the first and won't be the last. They all get thru it. The penalty thing is simply because he's had the audacity to play hockey while black. Other than that he should be a fan favorite but I can only speculate why that's such a struggle.
Kane has had 30 goals twice in 12 seasons and has never had 60 points in a season. In fact his career high is one more than Labanc's, and I remember everyone losing their minds when Kevin got 4.75 a year.
That's very disingenuous unless the number 30 is your only bar. Scored 30 in 2012, then the last 4 years he scored 28,29, 30, and then 26 in 64 games (a 33 pace) when the season was scuttled. Seems like pretty consistent production for 7mil as well as being one of the better PKers on the team. He was very good on the PP last season 2 when finally given a chance. This season he's one of the bright spots at forward as well. Couture has been a direct beneficiary of Kanes overall play. Tied for 2nd in points has the 2nd best plus minus among forwards... He's easily worth his contract. Arguments to the contrary are frankly ludicrous.
Kane's contract is fine. He's top-3 in scoring on the team so far, tied for the lead in assists. 4th in goals on the team since coming here. Yea I wish he'd take less penalties too, but he's not getting any benefit of the doubt from the league either. 7mil for a top-6 winger with his production is solid.
4th? A re you sure? The last time someone posted this stat it looked like he was 1st. Maybe it was 5 on 5 goals? No, I'm pretty sure he's 1st or at worst 2nd in goals since coming to SJ. He got 9 his first season after the trade and 30 the next year (39). Pavs got 38 that 2nd season but I don't know how to find how many he got after the TDL the season before. It's close whatever it is.

Last edited:

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Kane has had 30 goals twice in 12 seasons and has never had 60 points in a season. In fact his career high is one more than Labanc's, and I remember everyone losing their minds when Kevin got 4.75 a year.

Kane is a consistent high 20 goal/mid-50 point player who can create on his own. Can play PP or PK. Physical. Brings it every game.

Labanc is a 15 goal/40 point player who hit 56 once. Doesn't PK. Poor D. Inconsistent.

There is very good reason no one else is comparing their contracts.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Guessing he gets back in the Minny game.
I recommend going to the sharks site and watching Hertl's interview today after practice about Simek injury and why he didn't go after Marchasshole. Might ease your mind a little at least as far as Hertl's concerned. :)

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I recommend going to the sharks site and watching Hertl's interview today after practice about Simek injury and why he didn't go after Marchasshole. Might ease your mind a little at least as far as Hertl's concerned. :)
It’s a good start. Glad he admitted that he should have acted. I understand concern for your teammate, but I’d his initial reaction to be going after the opponent.

That said, that’a hard to expect from a guy who has never played that way.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
It’s a good start. Glad he admitted that he should have acted. I understand concern for your teammate, but I’d his initial reaction to be going after the opponent.

That said, that’a hard to expect from a guy who has never played that way.
Like he said, he didn't see that the hit was cheap from his angle, just thought Simek fell awkwardly after a normal check and hurt his recently repaired knee. Having had tons of knee problems I can attest that it's the first thing I ask most times when a teammate goes down bad. But yes, I would have enjoyed it immensely if Hertl took Marchasshole and threw him over the glass into the stands like a free t-shirt. :laugh:

BB quote about it in Kurz article today about the incident and not responding...
"“A lot of times that doesn’t come natural to a lot of guys and I know the game has changed a little bit but that’s something I think — I said this in my meeting — that it will be the last time I have to talk about it,” he said. “I think they understand where my expectations are, and the culture that we’re trying to create here. And I believe that we have a lot of guys in there that care for each other and I think that hopefully that’s the end of that conversation, we won’t have to address that anymore, and they’ll make sure they take care of each other.”"

Last edited:

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Like he said, he didn't see that the hit was cheap from his angle, just thought Simek fell awkwardly after a normal check and hurt his recently repaired knee. Having had tons of knee problems I can attest that it's the first thing I ask most times when a teammate goes down bad. But yes, I would have enjoyed it immensely if Hertl took Marchasshole and threw him over the glass into the stands like a free t-shirt. :laugh:

TBH I wasn't concerned with Hertl's immediate or 3P response. It's understandable if there's fog of war when it happened.
And in the 3rd, his line played with a good edge. Balcers and Hertl had the goal. Meier laid down some contact.

BB quote about it in Kurz article today about the incident and not responding...
"“A lot of times that doesn’t come natural to a lot of guys and I know the game has changed a little bit but that’s something I think — I said this in my meeting — that it will be the last time I have to talk about it,” he said. “I think they understand where my expectations are, and the culture that we’re trying to create here. And I believe that we have a lot of guys in there that care for each other and I think that hopefully that’s the end of that conversation, we won’t have to address that anymore, and they’ll make sure they take care of each other.”"

I thought in the postgame he said he liked the response? o_O And did he set these expectations 5 days ago - when he was coaching during the game? :confused:

But, if it's a learning point for himself and the team, then that's a positive step forward.
Anyway, we'll see if any change comes from this.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I thought they did a fair job in Blues game 2, so that's a step forward.
The response was good after Vlasic was cross checked. They put a little extra mustard on the contact for the rest of that shift.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad