Injury Report: 2/14 Simek to IR UBI

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I don't know about these things but in general I agree that Couture has not been a good captain. I was actually looking forward to seeing him as captain but he has not been able to lead by example on the ice. Nor does he seem to be a good leader in the locker room.

Not happy with how Boughner has been either. He has taken some steps that none of our other coaches have taken like reducing ice-time of certain vets and benching them but the results have just not been there.

Next season will hopefully be a fresh start with both a new captain and coach.
I remain unconvinced that a new coach is the answer at this point. I guess we'll see. It's unlikely DW fires BB after a season with so many built in hurtles like this.
Imagine if a Vegas player was hurt after one of the Sharks hit and injured them.. Do you think Vegas asks the refs if it was dirty before taking numbers and playing nastier? What a joke response.

I'm thinking Captain Coworker sounds like a good name for Couture, lol.
That's brilliant. :laugh:

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I don't know about these things but in general I agree that Couture has not been a good captain. I was actually looking forward to seeing him as captain but he has not been able to lead by example on the ice. Nor does he seem to be a good leader in the locker room.

Not happy with how Boughner has been either. He has taken some steps that none of our other coaches have taken like reducing ice-time of certain vets and benching them but the results have just not been there.

Next season will hopefully be a fresh start with both a new captain and coach.

I wouldn’t blame HCBB - a lot of the lack of success here is personnel driven. I think he has more or less achieved expectations given what he has. I suspect a more “results” oriented coach, with a much more, ahem abrasive personality, such as Gallant or Torts could milk slightly higher short term performance at the expense of long term stability. I am not sure that is the right strategic play either, if we are facing a 3+ year refresh built around culture and young talent. If DW is desperate, it could be a good mid-season adjustment.

That being said, I think DW positioned this team for a sell off at the deadline. So I don’t think anyone is surprised by the current results. Sorenson, Nieto, Donato, Dubnyk are all gonna be worth something as depth pieces to a contender - while Marleau, Noesen and Claessen all have the potential to at least return a late pick in the right situation.

Simek has long been the underrated corner stone of our defense. He eats minutes and keeps the aging core from shouldering too large a burden. With him gone, Vlasic and Ferraro are both going to be above 23+ minutes a night, as HCBB rides his ton 5 as best he can. Expect to see a return of Vlasic - Karlsson and Ferraro - Burns. That Kevin + Middleton or whomever third pair will likely eat a combined 20-25 minutes per night with Kevin being 10-15 and the replacement someone like 8-12. Either way, it’s not a good look for a team that desperately needs to reduce GAA.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I remain unconvinced that a new coach is the answer at this point. I guess we'll see. It's unlikely DW fires BB after a season with so many built in hurtles like this.

I am not convinced as well. The main issue lies with the players. Lack of talent is one thing but lack of effort is another. I do think a coaching change could help if they actually let players play to their strengths. I still feel that EK65 is not being utilized correctly and/or given the support he needs to succeed.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I am not convinced as well. The main issue lies with the players. Lack of talent is one thing but lack of effort is another. I do think a coaching change could help if they actually let players play to their strengths. I still feel that EK65 is not being utilized correctly and/or given the support he needs to succeed.
Maybe. EK65 was significantly more involved offensively last season. He's looked healthier this season but slower. I don't know what to make of that.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Imagine if a Vegas player was hurt after one of the Sharks hit and injured them.. Do you think Vegas asks the refs if it was dirty before taking numbers and playing nastier? What a joke response.

We need a Bill Lumbergh meme with Couture’s face.

Yeah... if you could cover your man... that would be great.

Yeah... if you could go ahead and stop the puck... that would be great.

Yeah.. if you could score a goal.. that would be great.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
We need a Bill Lumbergh meme with Couture’s face.

Yeah... if you could cover your man... that would be great.

Yeah... if you could go ahead and stop the puck... that would be great.

Yeah.. if you could score a goal.. that would be great.
Tell me Peter doesn't look like Vlasic....

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

There is a major disconnect between that statement, and Couture's postgame interview. I was never a fan of Couture as the choice for captain, and I think that he could still get a decent return in a trade with all of his playoff performances. I think Doug should be making calls trying to move him. I don't know what Couture is thinking, you can't come out after the game and dismiss a coworker getting wrecked twice by the same player because the ref said the hit was clean. That shows no emotional investment in both the team and the game itself.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
There is a major disconnect between that statement, and Couture's postgame interview. I was never a fan of Couture as the choice for captain, and I think that he could still get a decent return in a trade with all of his playoff performances. I think Doug should be making calls trying to move him. I don't know what Couture is thinking, you can't come out after the game and dismiss a coworker getting wrecked twice by the same player because the ref said the hit was clean. That shows no emotional investment in both the team and the game itself.

Doug has made it clear that he wouldn’t move a player like Couture unless they asked. Truth be told, I fully expect Couture to see the writing on the wall and ask pretty soon.

I also think that Karlsson needs to be “the guy” to perform. I don’t think we see his best hockey until Couture is gone and EK65 has the C.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Couldn't agree more. Couture is one of the first tradeable guys I would move if possible. I'm telling ya, story book ending... Sharks trade Couture ++ to Buffalo for Eichel. Make it happen Doug!! :laugh:
Doug has made it clear that he wouldn’t move a player like Couture unless they asked. Truth be told, I fully expect Couture to see the writing on the wall and ask pretty soon.
That's a tired argument that holds very little water. There's a point where the GM has to do what's necessary to improve the team despite a players preference. Couture has 3 team list. It can happen and it won't involve DW asking a player if he can do it as long as it's to one of the 3 teams.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I hope that in his bunker in the Swiss Alps, Hasso woke up, saw the replays, and called DW to mast.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Couldn't agree more. Couture is one of the first tradeable guys I would move if possible. I'm telling ya, story book ending... Sharks trade Couture ++ to Buffalo for Eichel. Make it happen Doug!! :laugh:

That's a tired argument that holds very little water. There's a point where the GM has to do what's necessary to improve the team despite a players preference. Couture has 3 team list. It can happen and it won't involve DW asking a player if he can do it as long as it's to one of the 3 teams.

But doesn't that list change every year? I would think that Couture would need to be asked what teams are on his list. And that is the exact kind of situation I think DW (or any GM) would generally try to avoid. Because if the trade does not happen, it may end up leading to an even more grumpy Couture.

All this being said, at this time it is worth having that talk with Couture. This team aint getting better soon and a return to Couture (including a high pick in the 2021 draft) would be exactly the start to the 'rebuild'.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Couture is a great tertiary player in the but you need guys like Thornton and Pavelski above him for the team to be successful. We just don't have that. And if we do (Karlsson?) He's not speaking up enough maybe because he feel like it's not his place.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
But doesn't that list change every year? I would think that Couture would need to be asked what teams are on his list. And that is the exact kind of situation I think DW (or any GM) would generally try to avoid. Because if the trade does not happen, it may end up leading to an even more grumpy Couture.

All this being said, at this time it is worth having that talk with Couture. This team aint getting better soon and a return to Couture (including a high pick in the 2021 draft) would be exactly the start to the 'rebuild'.
Those kinds of things are usually automatic because they are awkward. I’m sure that Couture has to declare his 3 teams every year at a specific time. That way DW always knows where he can trade him even if he isn’t looking to do so.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Those kinds of things are usually automatic because they are awkward. I’m sure that Couture has to declare his 3 teams every year at a specific time. That way DW always knows where he can trade him even if he isn’t looking to do so.

If i was a GM with a clause like that on a player or multiple players i would send those teams a message saying i am not actively shopping him, but you are on his list of teams. Make an offer i can't refuse.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Couture is a great tertiary player in the but you need guys like Thornton and Pavelski above him for the team to be successful. We just don't have that. And if we do (Karlsson?) He's not speaking up enough maybe because he feel like it's not his place.

IMO Couture as C is sort of like in the Sopranos when Sil became acting boss. Great #2, but ended up being too non-negotiable as the #1.

I get the feeling that the current leadership was hand-picked by DW/coaches - which might explain the artificial dynamics between the players. Burns, Couture, Marleau are the long-tenured co-workers. Hertl is the crown prince co-worker. And EK65 is the new hire co-worker. That mix seems like 3.5 guys who will obey and enforce orders without question. And one guy who's been in charge, but trying to find his place so will stay quiet. So, maybe not the best leadership mix.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
IMO Couture as C is sort of like in the Sopranos when Sil became acting boss. Great #2, but ended up being too non-negotiable as the #1.

I get the feeling that the current leadership was hand-picked by DW/coaches - which might explain the artificial dynamics between the players. Burns, Couture, Marleau are the long-tenured co-workers. Hertl is the crown prince co-worker. And EK65 is the new hire co-worker. That mix seems like 3.5 guys who will obey and enforce orders without question. And one guy who's been in charge, but trying to find his place so will stay quiet. So, maybe not the best leadership mix.
DW picked Pavs too so I believe it. DW isn't always the best judge of who should captain considering how many he's gone thru.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

That would be the ideal scenario for GM's. Though not sure if that is the case or not.

If i was a GM with a clause like that on a player or multiple players i would send those teams a message saying i am not actively shopping him, but you are on his list of teams. Make an offer i can't refuse.

I don't know about this. If you initiate a conversation of that nature, you are insinuating that you would be ok trading said player(s). Basically it would just come down to value. But then again, if moving Couture is what we are interested in, it will be less about value and more about kickstarting the rebuild. He is not going to be a big part of the rebuild going forward and other GM's must already recognize that.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Swap jerseys and it’s at least a 3 game suspension for Simek.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

I feel like we'd harp on Couture regardless of what he said. He's taking the safe route now by not butting heads with refs and not calling out the team for the lack of response. But if he said actually called out teammates to the media for not responding, we'd just as equally harp on him for that like we've done in the past. It's lose-lose here based on our predisposed bias. Like we don't even know if he was the one who initally said the "co-worker" comment a few seasons ago.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I feel like we'd harp on Couture regardless of what he said. He's taking the safe route now by not butting heads with refs and not calling out the team for the lack of response. But if he said actually called out teammates to the media for not responding, we'd just as equally harp on him for that like we've done in the past. It's lose-lose here based on our predisposed bias. Like we don't even know if he was the one who initally said the "co-worker" comment a few seasons ago.
Couture did step up and take on Pietrangelo years back after Petro killed his teammate with that dumb suicide pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->