GDT: #2 - 10/7/13 | New York Rangers @ Los Angeles Kings | 10:30 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

16 To Stanley*

Rask, Luongo, Henrik, Rinne (not so much lately), are guys i'd all take ahead of Quick right now.

And i don't need to hear the flack for Luongo. He's going to go down as one of the better goalies of this era. And had 3 shutouts in the SCF.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Clutch play is a myth at this level of sports, chokers have been weeded out years before they reach anywhere near the NHL level.

Can't agree with this at all. There are players who just have a knack for playing big when it counts, and players who will crack under pressure. There is nothing like playing in the SCF or Olympic GMG, and until these players get there you never know how they will perform.

Sure you can argue it's all relative and a championship college or junior league game is just as much stressful and intense as the biggest championship games in the sport when the players are in it at the time, but the level of skill and all around expectancy from fans and coaches is far greater. Some players thrive in that, and others wilt. If every player had a clutch big-game gear, there would be much more parity in the first two rounds from bottom 4 seeds who upset or go on improbable cinderella runs because all players can really turn their game up to play like Sidney Crosby when it matters most.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Lundqvist has been a consistent performer his entire career, Quick not so much. Age isn't a big deal, but you should be consistent by the time you're 27.

Williams is underrated for sure, Brown is massively overrated. Really not a fan. They're a good team but they're not world beaters IMO.

They're a tough team because when they are off they're still hard to beat, but when they are on they are basically unstoppable.

I have them on roughly the same level as the Sharks, just behind the Blackhawks in the West. The Blues are close behind.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Can't agree with this at all. There are players who just have a knack for playing big when it counts, and players who will crack under pressure. There is nothing like playing in the SCF or Olympic GMG, and until these players get there you never know how they will perform.

Sure you can argue it's all relative and a championship college or junior league game is just as much stressful and intense as the biggest championship games in the sport when the players are in it at the time, but the level of skill and all around expectancy from fans and coaches is far greater. Some players thrive in that, and others wilt. If every player had a clutch big-game gear, there would be much more parity in the first two rounds from bottom 4 seeds who upset or go on improbable cinderella runs because all players can really turn their game up to play like Sidney Crosby when it matters most.

There isn't enough consistency in the results for me to believe in clutch play as a significant factor, I think most of it is variance in small samples. For how long was Yzerman considered a choker?

Sure, Henrik Zetterberg's playoff numbers suggest that he may be able to raise his game slightly in the post season. But we aren't talking about a very big difference here either.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Hey guys! Good luck tonight. Hoping to watch your team beat the Kings :naughty:

I'm curious if any of you think Lundqvist will play tomorrow night as well or if it will be your back up? Since it's the beginning of the season and everyone's fresh wasn't sure if they would lean on Lundqvist like that or how good your back up is or anything... (I know last year Niemi played a few back to backs cause our back up situation was questionable and he literally plays better the more games he's out there it seems...)

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
The Kings dominate teams 5v5 (except when Regehr is on), but they lack finish so the games stay close. Justin Williams is ridiculously good, but no one ever acknowledges him. Instead Brown gets a lot of accolades for just riding shotgun to Williams and Kopitar and diving.

Brown is overrated, that's for sure.

Richards and especially Carter (I'm serious) are two-way forces. Doughty, Voynov, and Muzzin are fantastic PMDs, most teams wuld be lucky to have one PMD as good as either of the three.

Honestly, I'd argue that Carter out-played Kopitar last season. But that was just one season.

Quick is overrated. Clutch play is a myth at this level of sports, chokers have been weeded out years before they reach anywhere near the NHL level. He is only 15th among starters in 5v5 Sv% over the past three seasons. Hardly a top-3 goalie.

I couldn't agree more with this.

Players can't be clutch. They can have clutch goals/plays/moments/saves, but they themselves can't be clutch.

I do think Quick is a top 3 goalie though.

Last edited:

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

I'm curious if any of you think Lundqvist will play tomorrow night as well or if it will be your back up? Since it's the beginning of the season and everyone's fresh wasn't sure if they would lean on Lundqvist like that or anything... (I know last year Niemi played a few back to backs cause our back up situation was questionable and he literally plays better the more games he's out there it seems...)

Lundqvist was abysmal throughout pre-season and wasn't great versus the Coyotes either so I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted the start against the Sharks as well just to get into the groove.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I'm curious if any of you think Lundqvist will play tomorrow night as well or if it will be your back up? Since it's the beginning of the season and everyone's fresh wasn't sure if they would lean on Lundqvist like that or how good your back up is or anything... (I know last year Niemi played a few back to backs cause our back up situation was questionable and he literally plays better the more games he's out there it seems...)

I shudder at the thought of Biron in net against the Sharks while the Rangers are still adjusting.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I don't think the Rangers are going to win this one. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm just hoping for the game to be competitive and more cohesiveness at this point...

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Lundqvist was abysmal throughout pre-season and wasn't great versus the Coyotes either so I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted the start against the Sharks as well just to get into the groove.

I shudder at the thought of Biron in net against the Sharks while the Rangers are still adjusting.

I figured that there was at least a good chance Lundqvist would play us as well considering the timing and stuff, and it seems that's what you all expect too. Good to know :D Excited for tomorrow.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Brown is overrated. Kopitar is probably a bit underrated, as is Williams. Then you've got Richards and Carter; we know plenty about them. Stoll is fairly underrated. I think Quick is overrated, but still a challenging goalie. Top 3-5 for sure. I think LA's defense is way overrated. I'm always hearing how phenomenal Mitchell, Greene and Regehr are. Clearly Regehr isn't. I know the other two have had some really solid stretches in their careers, but overall?

I think the biggest challenge is LA plays a much more aggressive up-tempo style than we do. The key is going to be intensity, as it often seems to be for our team. And it's not just about having a good first few shifts. It's about keeping the intensity up throughout the period. Not letting a penalty kill the momentum. Staying aggressive on the forecheck and pressuring the puck carrier.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Man, looking at the schedule, this is one tough road trip. Add in having a less than full strength roster and the growing pains from implementing a new system, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers ended up with 5-7 points from these 9 games.

Not expecting a win tonight, just hoping for one. I'm expecting at least to see better defensive zone coverage and the team as a whole more engaged.

LGR!

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Quick is #2 right behind Hank, and I would be proud to have him represent 'Merica at the Olympics. Also think clutch players definitely exist, but that "being clutch" may be a slightly overrated feature.

I'd be shocked if we win tonight

Haha, me too. No doubt some are already whippin' up a batch of Jonestown punch.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
A little nervous but we got this. Cally is back and when he wants to prove something he goes full on beast mode. He about to say, "Did you guys miss me?" tonight. Book it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad