vs
(0-1-0) ____________ (1-1-0)

TIME | 10:30 PM ET ARENA | STAPLES CENTER - LOS ANGELES, CA TV | MSG, FS-W

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="ONLINE STREAMS/RADIO"]

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="NEWS & NOTES"]

GAME LINKS:

Game Preview - Last Matchup; NYR@LAK 10/7/11 - NHL.com - Rangers.com - Kings.com
NY Post - NYDN - Andrew Gross - MSG.com - Yahoo Sports - ESPN.com - TSN.ca

AROUND THE LEAGUE:

76o.png

OCTOBER SCHEDULE:

zf4d.png

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="QUOTES TO NOTE"]

That’s tough to talk about right now, we got beat pretty bad.
I’m sure when we calm down and reflect on a few things and see the video on certain things we probably did some things right for sure
But in the end we let a game where we were tied 1-1 and outshooting them at that point get away pretty quickly and that’s probably more of the focus.
- Brad Richards

It was a special night for all of us, opening night always is.
But for me it was one of the most special considering I haven't played in so long. I'm glad to be back, but we need to be better.
- Dominic Moore

I think a lot of our forecheck tonight was stalled or stopped from their goalie handling the puck as well as he did and we were partly responsible for that.
Also, I mean, that’s a guy that tries to handle everything. We got to cross corner or soft dump it in the corner and we weren’t that efficient in that area tonight.
- Alain Vigneault

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="LOS ANGELES KINGS"]

TEAM STATS / STANDINGS:

GP | 2 | GF | 6
W | 1 | GA | 7
L | 1 | GF/G | 2.50
OTL | 0 | GA/G | 3.50
Pts | 2 | PIM/G | 18.5
HOME | 0-0-0 | PP% | 37.5
AWAY | 1-1-0 | PK% | 81.8
STREAK | L1 | FO% | 51.8

Division | 6th
Conference | 11th
League | 22nd

TEAM LEADERS:

Goals | Jeff Carter | 2 Assists | Frattin, Kopitar | 2 Points | Carter, Frattin, Kopi | 2 + / - | Robyn Regehr | +1 Shots | Carter, Williams | 6 Hits | Matt Greene | 6 Blocks | Matt Greene | 7 PIM | Colin Fraser | 12 FO% | Jarret Stoll | 50.0 TOI/G F: | Anze Kopitar | 22:46 TOI/G D: | Drew Doughty | 27:29

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW
Dustin Brown (C) | Anze Kopitar (A) | Justin Williams
Matt Frattin | Mike Richards (A) | Jeff Carter
Dwight King | Jarret Stoll | Trevor Lewis
Kyle Clifford | Colin Fraser | Jordan Nolan

LD | RD
Robyn Regehr | Drew Doughty
Willie Mitchell | Slava Voynov
Jake Muzzin | Matt Greene

Scratched
Dan Carcillo|
Keaton Ellerby|
Alec Martinez|

STARTING GOALIE:

QuickJonathan1.png

Jonathan Quick

GPI: 2 | W: 1 | L: 1 | OT: 0
SV% .893 | GAA: 3.27 | SO: 0 | Pts: 0

INJURIES / SUSPENSIONS / MISC:

NONE|

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="NEW YORK RANGERS"]

TEAM STATS / STANDINGS:

GP | 1 | GF | 1
W | 0 | GA | 4
L | 1 | GF/G | 1.00
OTL | 0 | GA/G | 4.00
Pts | 0 | PIM/G | 18.0
HOME | 0-0-0 | PP% | 25.0
AWAY | 0-1-0 | PK% | 66.7
STREAK | L1 | FO% | 45.8

Division | 7th
Conference | 14th
League | 26th

TEAM LEADERS:

Goals | Marc Staal | 1 Assists | Nash, Stepan | 1 Points | Nash, Staal, Step | 1 + / - | Mats Zuccarello | 0 Shots | Brad Richards | 4 Hits | Dan Girardi | 6 Blocks | Ryan McDonagh | 4 PIM | Dorsett, Nash | 5 FO% | Brian Boyle | 54.5 TOI/G F: | Brad Richards | 19:35 TOI/G D: | Marc Staal | 25:40

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW
Brad Richards (A) | Derek Stepan | Rick Nash
Benoit Pouliot | Derick Brassard | Mats Zuccarello
Taylor Pyatt | Brian Boyle | Ryan Callahan (C)
Arron Asham | Dominic Moore | Derek Dorsett

LD | RD
Ryan McDonagh | Dan Girardi
Marc Staal (A) | Michael Del Zotto
John Moore | Anton Stralman

Scratched
Justin Falk|
Jesper Fast|

STARTING GOALIE:

LundqvistHenrik1.png

Henrik Lundqvist

GPI: 1 | W: 0 | L: 1 | OT: 0
SV% .875 | GAA: 4.00 | SO: 0 | Pts: 0

INJURIES / SUSPENSIONS / MISC:

Carl Hagelin | Shoulder (IR)

[/FIELDSET]

Last edited:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
****ing Callahan with Boyle and Pyatt. **** BOTH those guys. We need Callahan with Miller and Fast not those two idiots.

Tomas Sandstrom 28

Aug 3, 2005
So how do you guys feel about the transition from zone D to more man v man?

I'm not a fan of strict man to man systems. We tried it for a while way back in my HS days and it was a disaster. It's very easy to lose your man and have him end up in front all alone. Which is what we've seen from the Rangers during the pre-season.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I have less of a problem with Callahan with Boyle and Pyatt than I have with the makeup of the first line and the defensive pairings.

That first line may be good at creating high-quality scoring chances, but they are awful at getting into a position where they can create such chances. Did they establish controlled possession in the offensive zone 5v5 once versus Phoenix?

And it gets more obvious with each game that Dan Girardi isn't a first pairing defenceman 5v5 outside of Torts' most rigid version of his system where an argument could be made that his shot-blocking qualities actually outweighed the significant deficiencies in his game. This is especially apparent in AV's system which emphasizes controlled breakouts (which I love). How often does Girardi break out of the zone with control (wither a pass or skating the puck out), once a game? He either tries to defer to his partner or chips the puck out.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
So how do you guys feel about the transition from zone D to more man v man?

If it works, then there's no issue with it... it hasn't and its been bad. AV doesn't get much of a grace period to implement it.

It is more likely that this team, with a "work in progress" system cannot match up against big bodied teams. Not just in terms of toughness, but being able to the that type of game, and coming out on top.

It's not like the Rangers play Carolina every game of the season.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Not only is this a 10 30 game, but it's against a good team and they haven't played in 4 days for some ridiculous Rangeresque reason.

If I'm lucky ill catch the first period before falling asleep. Just groans all around about this game.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I have less of a problem with Callahan with Boyle and Pyatt than I have with the makeup of the first line and the defensive pairings.

That first line may be good at creating high-quality scoring chances, but they are awful at getting into a position where they can create such chances. Did they establish controlled possession in the offensive zone 5v5 once versus Phoenix?

And it gets more obvious with each game that Dan Girardi isn't a first pairing defenceman 5v5 outside of Torts' most rigid version of his system where an argument could be made that his shot-blocking qualities actually outweighed the significant deficiencies in his game. This is especially apparent in AV's system which emphasizes controlled breakouts (which I love). How often does Girardi break out of the zone with control (wither a pass or skating the puck out), once a game? He either tries to defer to his partner or chips the puck out.

I tend to think AV will figure it out if he doesn't like what he's seeing out of those pairings. He's a smart guy who uses advanced stats in his coaching

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
The sooner we get in the W column the better. I have a feeling we're going to win and lose in bunches this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad