Value of: 1st round pick (11-15) to Vancouver

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
How is Juolevi (5th overall pick who is tracking well and would be in the NHL this past season if not for his injury. He was solid in the AHL) and Virtanen and Gaudette(Top 9 forwards with upside) along with Tanev who’s a top 4 shutdown dman and Baertschi (Top 9 winter) nothing pieces. Seriously people.

It’s not that they’re “nothing pieces. But none of them are particularly attractive to a team holding a top 20 pick.

Every team has a tonne of top 9 potential guys. (And lets be honest. Both Virtanen and Gaudette are more like bottom 6 guys).

Juolevi is interesting but can’t seem to stay healthy. JB screwed up picking him so high. He certainly wouldn’t go 5th in a redraft and he doesn’t have the value of a recent 5th overall pick.

Tanev is one dimensional (zero offensive upside) and can’t seem to play more than 55 or so games a year. When he was healthy this season he wasn’t great. Injuries have caught up with him. He has limited value. Same with Baertschi. Who had a significant concussion this past season and can’t stay healthy.

Reactions: The Madrigal

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
How is Juolevi (5th overall pick who is tracking well and would be in the NHL this past season if not for his injury. He was solid in the AHL) and Virtanen and Gaudette(Top 9 forwards with upside) along with Tanev who’s a top 4 shutdown dman and Baertschi (Top 9 winter) nothing pieces. Seriously people.
He's not tracking well at all. He was not solid in the AHL. He was a pylon defensively and racked up PP points. If he was as you say still an A level prospect you wouldn't be offering him up for a mid 1st.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
How is Gaudette a top 9 forward? The guy is 22 years old and played under 11 minutes a game and put up 12 points this year. That the definition of 4th line production and 4th line minutes. Virtanen is in his 4th NHL season and this year finally cracked the top 9 of a bad team and put up a career high 25 points. Baertschi is a veteran 3rd liner that can't stay healthy with a career high 35 points. Tanev is an average 2nd pairing defenseman that is ALWAYS hurt and has 1 year left on his contract. Do you really think these are the kind of players teams would want in return for a top 10-15 pick?

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Besides Chytil/Kravtsov/Andersson/Zibanjad/Buchnevich is there a package that can land another 1st round pick, preferably in the 11-15 range and try and get both Boldy+CaufieldI wouldn’t mind a 16-20 pick as well and would love to get a crack at Heinola, Brink, Newhook etc. Prefer to trade roster players, but B prospects could also be included.

Vesey
Namestnikov
Strome
Sean Day
Brett Howden

Are solid pieces that could be available as well as depth pieces.​

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Besides Chytil/Kravtsov/Andersson/Zibanjad/Buchnevich is there a package that can land another 1st round pick, preferably in the 11-15 range and try and get both Boldy+CaufieldI wouldn’t mind a 16-20 pick as well and would love to get a crack at Heinola, Brink, Newhook etc. Prefer to trade roster players, but B prospects could also be included.

Vesey
Namestnikov
Strome
Sean Day
Brett Howden

I dont know, i think a certain poster keeps trying to pawn off Strome as a legitimate Top 6C option and worth a top 15 pick...

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I'm unsure of who in that range would really target most of those pieces instead of drafting one of their own guys on the draft board in which they have more time to develop.

Maybe Philadelphia would be interested in 11th + Macdonald for Tanev + Joulevi + 3rd if they want to sure up their defense a bit and make a push in free agency at the same time. Their prospect pool isn't bad as is and hopefully Hart will help solidify their goal tending woes.

I just don't see why Vancouver would realistically give up their guy who they picked at 5 a couple years ago to pick in the 11 range now. Nor do i see why a team would realistically want to pay enough in order for them to do so unless they loved him at the draft.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm unsure of who in that range would really target most of those pieces instead of drafting one of their own guys on the draft board in which they have more time to develop.

Maybe Philadelphia would be interested in 11th + Macdonald for Tanev + Joulevi + 3rd if they want to sure up their defense a bit and make a push in free agency at the same time. Their prospect pool isn't bad as is and hopefully Hart will help solidify their goal tending woes.

I just don't see why Vancouver would realistically give up their guy who they picked at 5 a couple years ago to pick in the 11 range now. Nor do i see why a team would realistically want to pay enough in order for them to do so unless they loved him at the draft.

Macdonald as a cap dump holds minimal value to us, because hes on his last year and we've got something like 24 mil in cap to play with already. We can buy him out or bury him and it really has no cap implications for us.

Not really interested in Joulevi as a prospect, and while I wouldnt be upset about adding Tanev, I wouldnt be comfortable with it being in exchange for the 11th overall.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Macdonald as a cap dump holds minimal value to us, because hes on his last year and we've got something like 24 mil in cap to play with already. We can buy him out or bury him and it really has no cap implications for us.

Not really interested in Joulevi as a prospect, and while I wouldnt be upset about adding Tanev, I wouldnt be comfortable with it being in exchange for the 11th overall.

Agreed. I think the notion of swapping out Tanev for Macdonald is only beneficial if you guys really go all in in free agency. You're in a primed spot to do it to be honest with you. It just should really depend on who enters free agency more than anything.

Realistically your prospect pool is not bad at all. You can afford to trade in the 11th. I completely understand why fans and even possibly the front office would have very little interest in Joulevi unless they were actually targeting him during his draft year. Although i'm pretty sure you guys have had some front office turnover right? Or was that just the coach. I can't really remember.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Agreed. I think the notion of swapping out Tanev for Macdonald is only beneficial if you guys really go all in in free agency. You're in a primed spot to do it to be honest with you. It just should really depend on who enters free agency more than anything.

Realistically your prospect pool is not bad at all. You can afford to trade in the 11th. I completely understand why fans and even possibly the front office would have very little interest in Joulevi unless they were actually targeting him during his draft year. Although i'm pretty sure you guys have had some front office turnover right? Or was that just the coach. I can't really remember.

New GM mid year, just hired a new coach. Need to clear out the rest of the assistant coaches still, but yeah, pretty much a new 'lower' management. The rest of the FO is still the old boys club.

I'm not against moving the 11th for help now - but it has to be something that's under control, and fits in with the timeline of our new core. Tanev isnt that piece for me, that's all.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
New GM mid year, just hired a new coach. Need to clear out the rest of the assistant coaches still, but yeah, pretty much a new 'lower' management. The rest of the FO is still the old boys club.

I'm not against moving the 11th for help now - but it has to be something that's under control, and fits in with the timeline of our new core. Tanev isnt that piece for me, that's all.

I agree Tanev shouldn’t be the main piece there. I figured Joulevi was realistically. I think its more or less that you are pretty much equal salary in equal out while getting a better player to fill the role. I think much of that would need to be contingent on the front office primed to make a splash in free agency as it looks like there could be some big ticket free agents hitting the market.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Not even comparable but okay..and I said any pick up until 20OA.

Your thread says 11-15.

You wouldn't value your 10th less than any 2 of those pieces combined I'd bet.

You cant seriously believe anyone of those pieces is the main piece for a pick this high

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site

Make that 3rd a 2nd, and I would do it.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I think the Canucks are looking at this wrong...……...

Edmonton 9th OA Pick.........Lucic + 2019 1st for Vancouver's Baertschi + Saunter
Phili 11th OA Pick...…………...2019 11th OA + MacDonald for Vancouver's Tanev, Markstrom and 2021 1st
Carolina 21st OA Pick...…......Darling + 2019 1st for Vancouver's Baertschi
Calgary 26th OA Pick.............Neal + 2019 1st + 2020 2nd for Vancouver's Leivo
Tampa 27th OA Pick..............Callahan + 2019 1st for Vancouver's 2020 2'nd

Not on all, but maybe one

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

Vesey
Namestnikov
Strome
Sean Day
Brett Howden

Except Anderson has similar value to juolevi. So if the point is to give the op an example as a rangers fan you just showed you’re out of touch on value as well

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
This thread is like those Facebook posts you see of people who want a bunch of stuff for their apartment, but it needs to be free, or really cheap and you need to deliver it while the stuff has to be in pretty much pristine condition

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I think the Canucks are looking at this wrong...……...

Edmonton 9th OA Pick.........Lucic + 2019 1st for Vancouver's Baertschi + Saunter
Phili 11th OA Pick...…………...2019 11th OA + MacDonald for Vancouver's Tanev, Markstrom and 2021 1st
Carolina 21st OA Pick...…......Darling + 2019 1st for Vancouver's Baertschi
Calgary 26th OA Pick.............Neal + 2019 1st + 2020 2nd for Vancouver's Leivo
Tampa 27th OA Pick..............Callahan + 2019 1st for Vancouver's 2020 2'nd

Not on all, but maybe one

Im not sure you could build a less appealing package from the Flyers viewpoint.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Except Anderson has similar value to juolevi. So if the point is to give the op an example as a rangers fan you just showed you’re out of touch on value as well

No, the point was to be as ridiculous as the OP. And if you're gonna correct someone, it's Andersson.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Besides Pettersson/Horvat/Boeser/Hughes is there a package that can land another 1st round pick, preferably in the 11-15 range and try and get both Boldy+CaufieldI wouldn’t mind a 16-20 pick as well and would love to get a crack at Heinola, Brink, Newhook etc. Prefer to trade roster players, but B prospects could also be included.

Tanev
Virtanen
Hutton
Juolevi
Gaudette
Baertschi

Are solid pieces that could be available as well as depth pieces.
I think your issue is that when a team is trading for a roster player they are generally looking for one player and then they give back the combination of picks/prospects. None of those guys are currently worth a first by themselves. Not saying they wouldn't theoretically be worth a first if you were to trade a team two or three pieces on that list but teams don't ever do that type of trade. Also the adding a B prospect to a trade so your lesser player nets a more premium asset never happens either.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Im not sure you could build a less appealing package from the Flyers viewpoint.
Could some please tell me what the Flyers view point is please...….

I mean you have Giroux, Vorachek and Van Riemsdyk all in their prime, with a young defense and a great young goalie in Hart, and I am missing what your mission is?

Are you going trade away your veterans and rebuild, or do you want to actually get in the playoffs...….

Nothing to do with my offer...…..just I am confused with your mission?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I mean you have Giroux, Vorachek and Van Riemsdyk all in their prime, with a young defense and a great young goalie in Hart, and I am missing what your mission is?

Are you going trade away your veterans and rebuild, or do you want to actually get in the playoffs...….

They also have one of the best prospect/young player pools in the league. The Flyers viewpoint should be to stand pat and be patient, not making rash decisions. The 11oth oa pick this year should be ready to make an impact by the time the Flyers are ready to contend again, and it would be a huge boon for the long term plans.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
If Dale doesn't have a better defender in mind, I wouldn't mind a swap of Pysyk and the 13th overall for Tanev with a plus.

DakrSnooze

Aug 27, 2011
Whitehorse
Maybe we can see another Reinhart type of trade. Oilers trade their 1st round pick for Juolevi.

Sorry there little guy. Peter isn't around anymore. Great proposal by canucks fans here though lol. Would they trade 10OA for Puljujarvi? Or how about for Yamamoto? Ethan Bear? If not then you will realise what this proposal looks like to every other team in the league.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

They also have one of the best prospect/young player pools in the league. The Flyers viewpoint should be to stand pat and be patient, not making rash decisions. The 11oth oa pick this year should be ready to make an impact by the time the Flyers are ready to contend again, and it would be a huge boon for the long term plans.

This is pretty much it. The flyers with a good coach make the playoffs this year. Hakstol stinking up the joint when he wasnt bouyed up by players having career years put the season in too big of a hole to get out of.

Ownership wants to contend now, but seemingly not the 'all in' where we trade all our prospects for mediocre veterans. Its largely believe the Flyers will look to move the 11th pick this year for something that can help now, but otherwise, what we have is what we have. I could see a 'shake-up' style trade where Ghost is traded for an actual RHD to pair with Provorov on the top pair, but otherwise, There shouldnt be too many moving pieces.

11th OA plus for a legitimate 2C and a 'hockey trade' for a top pair defensive oriented RHD are really the only things we need, and in theory, both of those players could already be on the team (Patrick and Myers).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad